is it ok not to say it????

SO MUCH TO LOSE!

Must do it this time
i would like all your opinions out there if you can spare the time!!
im a member of a gym and have been since before starting cd and lost over a stone before cd came along,now when i started cd i never said anything to them as i know that people who work in gyms can look down on diets like this.
i have worked out 5 days a week since starting,only missing the gym when i had no sitters for the kids plus i also do boxercise 2 nights a week.

now my question is that my gym have just given me 1 years free membership for all the weight i have lost(5 st total) and i feel like i have to tell them what diet im on as i feel like im cheating them,do you think that im a cheat by not telling them???
id love to hear what you all think i should do,sorry for rambling on,
elaine x

ps they have also asked me to do a talk to some of the other members who are at the gym,
all advice gratefully recieved!i feel like i have put in the hours in the gym and not just relied on cd to get me to where i am now,so am i really cheating by not saying anything????help

awww hun thats a trickie one!!! I honestly dont know what id do i prop wouldnt tell them tbh because look at it this way of you wanted them to know you would have told them when you started. Try and get the membership though!!

becky xx

they have given me the membership and tbh i really have put the hours in and it shows as ive not got any sagging skin anywhere(yet anyway!!)i have sweat in that place for an hr and a half 5 days a week and i just told them i was eating healthy which is not a lie as i do ss+,its just all the girls are great there and i feel that i should say something but i think ive left it too late say it now!!!

i think your right it is to late now they you know how some people can be soo narrow minded about stuff especially vlcd's I think just leave it at that. I know you feel bad think i would aswell but there is nothing you can do now. You worked hard and deserve it :)

At the end of the day, you have put the hours in. They have seen that and the results are there for everyone to see. If you are doing SS+ then you are having a healthy 200cal meal (if I am correct) so you are a perfect role model. Well Done to you xx

I'd stay schtum (how bad does that make me sound?! lol). They must know that you couldnt have lost the amount of weight that you have in that time by excercise alone.

Like you said, you've put the hours in and given them your hard earned money so I'd keep quiet but do them justice by keeping up your hard work in the gym! :)

I know I would find it a dilema too hun but you havent lied so you shouldnt worry

oh hun you have worked your ass off literally say thank you and keep the membership youve done so well you deserve it dont feel bad you have put in the hours xxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think you have to tell them unless they are specific about the talks they want you to give.

However, I think that you come across in your post as someone who needs to be completely honest. Why don't you chat to the manager in private and tell them that you are grateful for the prize because you deserve it for all the hours you have put in but you felt you needed to tell them that you were doing it in conjunction with a very low calorie diet.

You have not lied to anyone but you do not seem happy about having to talk to other gym members without including the CD part of your lifestyle.

I wish you well with your decision

thanks girls,
i think they just want me to tell them that exercising is a great way to go and stuff like that,i have been having a meal(200kcal)everyday so i could tell them that and thats not a lie,i did tell them before i was living off as little as i had to,which is not a lie either,i do feel bad but dont think i want to say anything to the owner as id be embarrassed mention it now after such a long time!!!

What a dilemma, I would just be economical with the truth by saying that you have exercised and followed a low calorie, low fat diet – which you have.
I’m a member of a well known brand of gym - don’t you believe all they tell you. Some of them take diet pills, starve themselves, use steroids and that includes some of the staff. It’s sometimes a bit like that modelling industry – body beautiful at any cost!!

Anyway well done you and good luck.
Aislinn x

Last edited:
I don't think you should feel guilty about this at all, it is a gym not a slimming club so it's not really their business what you eat, you have used the gym which proves exercise helps. If i were you i would avoid doing the talk but take the free membership, you deserve it. Well done you...i think it's fab, and instead of feeling guilty think of how much it has cost you over that time for your membership at the gym, i think they owe you that free year.

oh no i would never give anyone false hope as i would hate that done to me!!i will see exactly what it is they want me to say and go from there,i do feel that the exercise has helped me immensely as i found that when i didnt exercise for a few days i felt awful in myself and just wanted to eat,but when i did get stuck in i felt better in myself as a whole.im toning up nicely as im going along and to be honest i dont think i would have stuck to cd if it was not for this site and the exercise that i do,i really,really love doing my boxercise classes,i hate to miss them.it really is a big part of my life now,
thanx for all the advice,if anyone else would like to give their opinion i`ll gladly take it all on board,
thanx again,
elaine x

Gosh I dont know. I tell everyone I'm on the cambridge diet, it all depends on if you want them to know. At the end of the day, it's your business, the gym is a business and really, it is none of their business. You personally do not owe them anything

I find this really interesting ... it reflects the Fern Britten debate in a way. Interesting that people support you staying quiet about the diet and yet re. Fern they were up in arms about her keeping quiet re. the band surgery.

I don't have an opinion either way with your situation but wanted to comment anyway

totally different situation hun,i did not have surgery to lose weight nor have i lied to people about how i lost it,it has been through diet and alot of exercise,and when people ask me thats what i tell them.i do ss+ and have my meal a day,so i dont hink that i can be compared to fern at all!!!!
anybody else think this??
elaine x

Personally I think the mentioning its been down to diet is where you may have the 'problem' I think you need to be totally honest and while maybe not say that youre SSing you should emphasise that youre on a VERY low calorie diet, so noone thinks that youre just cutting back a bit. Whether you want to elaborate on how low calorie it is or what it entails is a different matter but I definitely think you do need to make sure they dont think the weight loss is just down to cutting back and exercising. Sounds like focussing mostly on the exercise, which after all is why you go to the gym, is safest.

I can see where Dancing is coming from though, absolutely.

Gosh I dont know. I tell everyone I'm on the cambridge diet, it all depends on if you want them to know. At the end of the day, it's your business, the gym is a business and really, it is none of their business. You personally do not owe them anything
thanx lillypop,
the only reason that i brought this up is that the gym is only a small one and i know all the girls there and i just feel that i should have said something at the start but i didnt want to get a lecture from them so left it and then it just too hard to say it,i have told all my family that im on it but thats it,i feel that i have cheated in some way but of course i havent as this is an extremely hard diet to do as we all know!!!!!
i dont think that i will do the talk but i will turn up for the meeting.i still have more to lose so this would make me uncomfortable too as i havent reached my target weight yet.
elaine x

Personally I think the mentioning its been down to diet is where you may have the 'problem' I think you need to be totally honest and while maybe not say that youre SSing you should emphasise that youre on a VERY low calorie diet, so noone thinks that youre just cutting back a bit. Whether you want to elaborate on how low calorie it is or what it entails is a different matter but I definitely think you do need to make sure they dont think the weight loss is just down to cutting back and exercising. Sounds like focussing mostly on the exercise, which after all is why you go to the gym, is safest.

I can see where Dancing is coming from though, absolutely.

i tell everybody that asks that i have cut out ABSOLUTLEY everything,no picking,nibbling,NOTHING AT ALL.
i tell them i live off as little as possible so i havent lied,i just chose not to tell them which diet i was on,which is my perogitive after all.thanx for all the input,its been a big help,
its obvious not something that im comfortable with as thats why ive posted on here,i shall give the talk a miss but thankfully accept the membership!!!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with you having lost your weight through diet and exercise. I imagine that most people in the gym will also be watching their diet in some way, so you're nothing unusual in that respect.

I think you're perfectly entitled to keep quiet about exactly what diet you've been doing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the exercise side of things. However, the talk might become difficult, due to all the questions that will be asked. I think you'd be wise to accept the free membership gracefully, and bow out of the talk. :)

Jo x

Back