Is it possible?

emmalolz

After a few tough years I'm ready to lose the extra weight I'm carrying and have about 3 stone to lose. My problem with diets though is I'm a very fussy eater and although I've got myself to like some vegetables over the years, I can't eat any fruit at all, and no salads. I hear all the time about people eating as much as they like and still losing weight, so I really want to give it a try but is it even possible if my only veg is in soups/stews and nothing else? Just to make things awkward, I don't eat eggs either and they seem to make up most of the Slimming World meals I see. Is it going to be possible for me, or is a different diet my best option? Thank you

Hi slothemma and welcome to the forums :) Are you doing SW from home or are you going to group?

I think that because Slimming World is so versatile, you should be able to make it work for you, even if you are a fussy eater. They do recommend filling half your plate with S foods, which are fruits and/or vegetables but it's not mandatory, you're just likely to see better losses if you do.

My husband is doing SW with me and he's a fussy eater too. In the last 2 weeks he's started eating satsumas but before that he wouldn't even touch a piece of fruit. He's similar with vegetables - he'll only eat tomatoes (ok that's a fruit but hey ho) and broccoli really but he's lost 10.5lbs in 2 week without filling his plate with veg at every meal so it can be done.

Putting veg in soups/stews is better than nothing and all of that will count as speed food anyway. Do you eat vegetables in other dishes, such as chilli or Bolognese? They're good dishes to hide vegetables in, such as grated carrot or courgette as once it's cooked you can't see or taste it. They're also full of tomatoes, which are great speed foods. I make a lot of soup to take for lunch at work and it's all free on SW and really nice.

I don't think the egg thing will really affect you. They are free on SW and are filling so they're a popular choice but again, not mandatory. I hate hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs so I don't eat them very often. There are tonnes of lovely recipes out there that are SW friendly without the eggs so I'd say give it a go and see if it works for you. I'm making the SW BBQ pulled pork in my slow cooker at home at the moment and that's free on SW but other than a little passata, no vegetables in sight :) Pasta, rice and potatoes are all free too so plenty of options there without using eggs.

Thank you!

I've not started yet, just looking into it so unsure whether to do at home or a group. A group wouldn't fit into my family very easily as my husband does shifts and I'd have the children with me, but not sure if I'd put as much effort in to online only. Which is usually best?

That's good to know your husband got such good results without plate fulls of salad, and he sounds similar to me. I can eat cooked vegetable (so stews, sunday lunch's, soups, paste sauces etc) but nothing raw or cold, and no fruit for snacks. I work from home so find the need to snack really hard to beat and without eating fruit it's hard to make good choices.

But I'm pleased to hear you think it's still doable for me. I think I'll have to take the plunge and give it a go. It seems very complicated though, even though I'd read over and over about hex a and hex b, free foods, syns etc. I feel like I need a list of which foods are which and so far can't seem to find one. Do you get all that when you join?

Im sure you will be fine, if you can eat cooked veg that's probably the best thing. Im not great with filling my plate with 1/3 veg because I'm a really fussy eater too. I seem to be snacking less than I was in the beginning though.

There's so much choice with SW, I love it. I got the 12 week countdown when I joined class, so got all the books but wasn't committing forever. Not sure if they still do those but there was 6 weeks or 12 weeks back in 2014, would mean you could get all the info and then follow from home if going to class doesn't suit you.

We have started looking at favourite foods and try to make them SW friendly, even if it needs a few syns it can be worth it. If you just google you favourite meals, e.g. Lasagne slimming world you'll get an idea of substitutions etc. Good luck!

I feel like I need a list of which foods are which and so far can't seem to find one. Do you get all that when you join?

You do. It's about £10 to join at group and I find that attending group works the best for me. However, you could always go to group once, get the books and then try to go it alone at home if you find that group doesn't work for you. They'll explain everything to you when you go there and it's really easy once you get your head around the different types of food. You'll also get access to the SW website when you join and there are loads of great recipes on there.

I'm not sure what you get if you just join online. I don't think you get all the books but you'll definitely have access to all the same information. If you do decide to try doing it on your own, there are loads of great threads on here with people doing the same thing and everyone's always willing to answer any questions you have :)

Thank you for replying! I think I'm going to give it a go, I won't know until I try. I'm going to go to the meetings to begin with, but ultimately around my kids and husband's shifts I think online might be better for me. Do you get the online access if you attend the meetings? It seems very expensive looking at the online price, I hope I don't need to pay that as well as the meetings. Thanks

Hiya!

Yes, you do get online access when you attend the meetings. I'd say that overall, the meetings are the best things as you get access to everything - both the support groups and the online content, as well as a very handy SW app! I think the prices are £9.95 to initially join at group and then £4.95 per week after that. They'll write a code in your book that will give you access to the online content. You just create an account with the email address you provide them with when you sign up at group, enter the code and a password and you're good to go! I think for online only access you have to pay a large amount upfront but you don't have to do that at group unless you want to (as lougalx said above, you can buy a countdown, which is something like 12 weeks for the price of 10 if you pay upfront but you don't have to do that).

At group, you can also book holiday weeks so if you know you won't be able to make a week, you can book it off so you won't be charged (you do get charged for missing weeks though if you don't book it off but I think they cap this at £10, after which you need to rejoin). If you go for a countdown, you need to book your holiday weeks at the time you pay for it so that they can calculate which weeks to apply the countdown to but if you just pay each week you can wait until the day to book it as holiday if you want (our consultant gives us until the morning after group to book it).

I feel like I've just created a lot of confusion here but they will explain all this much more clearly than I have when you go to sign up :)

You sound so like me!! I'm picky about my veg, hate fruit of any description and don't eat salad or yoghurt. I've list almost 2 stone in 10 weeks with no exercise so it's definitely possible! I fill up in yummy protein like fish and chicken. Love crab sticks , prawns cottage cheese and make dinners with ally speed in it. Love chopped tomatoes so put them In everything. Make soups and stews currys and stuf. . Best of luck.

It's certainly possible, I just think if you don't have as many speed foods, your losses may be slower. I'm a very fussy eater, and don't have lots of variety in my diet. I do have some speed foods though

Back