Is Malic acid allowed in soft drinks?

jane

Opinionated
I know that soft drinks containing citric acid are not recommended as thay can put you out of ketosis.

I was on the hunt for some of that 'Simply Clear' or 'Purely simple' or whatever it's called.

All I could find was some Morrisone own brand strawberry & kiwi flavoured water.It contained no citric acid,but did have Malic acid.I don't know what it is,but most importantly don't know if it can have an efect on ketosis.

I'm getting a litle bored of water & if I could find an alternative it'd be great.

I do hope someone out there knows the answer to this.

Hiya Jane, Ok, to be strict here the only thing that is allowed is black tea/coffee water and water flavourings.

However......................

Some people (and it is some) can get away with other drinks, citric acid can kick off cravings and knock ketosis out so that is not allowed, some drinks contain Malic acid which is not as sensitive as citric acid, therefore to some people, yes they can drink it whilst on CD.

Now, any drink other than what is in the CD guidelines can kick off cravings for food, this is why it can be taken, but in moderation.

My view on this, is that if it is a case of trying this, or falling off the diet then yes try them, however, no more than one glass per day.

The other alternative is the water flavourings, I could only have them in sparkling water as I didnt like it in plain, but a pot of this lasts ages.

I had the occasional "zero drink" with Malic acid and I was ok, but if you are going to try it then try it in moderation x

hi jane

hi jane like you i couldnt stand plain boring water! but now i use the water flavourings available on cambridge, orange and berry flavour its in powder form add a teaspoon to every litre of water u drink and it makes the whole water drinking process a whole lot easier!!!!!!, i pay six pounds a tub for mine, hope thats of some help:D :D . janet

Golly what a wonderful site.
3 replies in the blinking of an eye.thankyouv much

yes it is and that strawb and kiwi was definitely allowed last time i was on Cd. very nice it is too x

thanks Jen.that's geat to hear.

Hiya Jane, Ok, to be strict here the only thing that is allowed is black tea/coffee water and water flavourings.

Some people (and it is some) can get away with other drinks, citric acid can kick off cravings and knock ketosis out so that is not allowed, some drinks contain Malic acid which is not as sensitive as citric acid, therefore to some people, yes they can drink it whilst on CD.

Now, any drink other than what is in the CD guidelines can kick off cravings for food, this is why it can be taken, but in moderation.

My view on this, is that if it is a case of trying this, or falling off the diet then yes try them, however, no more than one glass per day.

The other alternative is the water flavourings, I could only have them in sparkling water as I didnt like it in plain, but a pot of this lasts ages.

I had the occasional "zero drink" with Malic acid and I was ok, but if you are going to try it then try it in moderation x

Thanks Vicky.a most comprehensive answer.
At present i'm off caffeine as i've had 2 migraines since start of ssing in Jan & this seems the only poss trigger.The last one was from a can of zero coke.So I'm down to just my morning cuppa of black tea.Eye lids don't work without it.
Really can't stand the CD drink flavour.Full strength is really yuk.V dilute is slightly yuk.
I'm just desperate for a change.

Bearing what you've said in mind.I'll wait til I'm further away from my recent wobble before trying any but willprobably be back in morrisons soonish.Stix will be kept at the ready.
Which is the greater risk?
1-kicking off cravings? or 2.Out of ketosis?

hi jane like you i couldnt stand plain boring water! but now i use the water flavourings available on cambridge, orange and berry flavour its in powder form add a teaspoon to every litre of water u drink and it makes the whole water drinking process a whole lot easier!!!!!!, i pay six pounds a tub for mine, hope thats of some help:D :D . janet

Janet I'm a little envious that you can enjoy the flaourings.
I've got some berry & only use it v occasionally as I find the flavour chemically & unpleasant.Having said that my sense of taste has gone really weird on CD & things that used to be palateable are now horrid incl most of the soups.Last week I had a butterscotch shake & was certain it tasted of lamb-chops.

Actually thats not strictly true...

Hey,

Not being personal here, but it annoys me a bit that a lot of people aren't aware of Cambridge's decision to approve one... (allbeit only one).... fizzy drink. It is OFFICIAL, it says in the NEW Cambridge manual, that we are allowed up to a pint of coke zero a day.

Cambridge don't say any special restrictions to this in the manual (yellow book) except that they do not recommend more than a pint. So I assume this means we can have it at any stage during the diet.

So just so you know, if you want a fizzy drink that is CD approved- OFFICIALLY, coke zero is the one!

xxx

i wonder if they have shares in coke zero?! lol. only kidding. that's good to hear. maybe we should start a thread on it to raise awareness?

Coke Zero should not be introduced until the third same as bars.

It does come with a warning though that it can kick of cravings due to the flavourings.

Advice is try it and see what happens if you are okay fine if you get hungry go back to the water.

It does not say this in black and white, however, counsellors are told at training to advise clients that coke zero can make you feel hungry and water is always the best option.

This also applies to the CD water flavourings.

Linda

Hey,
So just so you know, if you want a fizzy drink that is CD approved- OFFICIALLY, coke zero is the one!
xxx

Makes you wonder what coke have done that the other drinks manufacturers haven't

i wonder if they have shares in coke zero?! lol. only kidding. that's good to hear. maybe we should start a thread on it to raise awareness?

Probably should.
for some reason I had it in my head thatDr Pepper zero was allowed.Maybe that's LL or LT?

It does not say this in black and white, however, counsellors are told at training to advise clients that coke zero can make you feel hungry and water is always the best option.

This also applies to the CD water flavourings.

Linda

Ah-now there's another thing I didn't know.
So the flavourings should only be used in limited amounts too then?

The recommended amount for CD water flavourings is 1 teaspoon per day in 1 litre of water.

This is relatively new.

Having said that I do have clients who have used this in all their water and lost stones. However, carb sensitive people can come out of ketosis.

We advise to wait until week 3 then try the water flavourings if you feel hungry check ketones.

Linda

Back