Is my diet safe? And how do I prevent muscle loss?

ConnorBaxter

Hi all, My names Connor and I'm new to these forums so excuse my mistakes if I've posted in the wrong section.

I've already lost 27 pounds, I'm in the "Average weight region" now by far but I'm now restarting up my diet to lose a little more fat while trying to tone up my body a little.

So I'm interested in losing about another 10-15 pounds in pure fat. I dont want to lose muscle. I'm eating mixed salad everyday, 3 times a day Also mixing in Chicken and cheese to round thing up a little. For Snacks I'm eating Apples, oranges and plums. Every night I'm going to the gym, Running around 2 miles a day, Doing dumbells, And weight machines.

Is this healthy? I dont want to lose muscle, Nor do I want my metabolism to slow down so when I come off the diet I stack loads of pounds on. Also, Give me suggestions on low calorie but high protein foods that I could also snack on or chuck in with my diet to help me out.

Cheers x

I think the best thing you can do is download the Fit2Fat radio podcasts. They're brilliant. By two guys. I can't remember what it's called but there's definately at least one podcast on the subject you're interested in. They talk common sense and the advice I've tried had worked for me. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The most important thing is to make sure you are eating enough protein! From what you've written it does not sound like you're getting enough, unless you're eating a lot of chicken per day.

It's important for you to get 5-8 meals a day to keep up your metabolism and by meal i mean between for example breakfast and lunch you could get some kind of protein bar, a salad mix or just a piece of fruit and then just drink lots of water all day long. you should get around 2 gram of protein to 1 kilo gram of your body weight a day, so if you weight 80 kilo gram you should get 160 gram of protein a day, that will bring the needed protein for your body to gain muscle while loosing body fat.
You say you go to the gym every night and do dumbbells and weight machines, but is it the same things you do in the gym every night? And do you use any kind of supplements like protein powder?
Also the more muscle you got the more calories do you burn every day.
Some good protein foods are chicken, egg whites, milk (0,1% fat), beans, low fat cheese, tuna, but you can always look on the declaration on the product and find out if it's high protein.
I hope this was helpful for you and please feel free to ask more questions :)

You say you are going to the gym every night, are you taking any days off? Your muscles need to recover after a weights session so I would recommend you alternate your sessions so you aren't resistance/weight training every night or you will do more harm that good. If you don't have a personal trainer speak to one at your gym and ask them to go through your program with you.

As for the diet, it doesn't look like you are eating enough. Your body still needs carbs so make sure you are getting a good balance of all the food groups. Have you tried a diet plate? They aren't cheap but they show exactly how to get the right balance

when you are done dieting one way to avoid your metabolism from slowing down is to make sure not to skip meals, especially breakfast. Skipping meals will make your metabolism slow down more than anything except maybe age but that one you really can't control.

Back