Is she right? (food reference)

Hey, 10lbs in 6 weeks is less than 2lbs a week!! Just imagine sticking to the diet for 6 days a week and only losing 1 - 2lbs a week?!!? If she stuck to it for the full 7 days then she would be looking at loses of 3-5lbs!

I have to admit, i went through a phase where i did this. I never intended to have a day off, but sometimes i would give in after my weigh in to reward myself. I could still get back into the diet aftere my day off and manage to lose about 1 -2lbs by the next weigh in, but its not the same as sticking to it 100%. The more i took days off, the harder it got to stick to it 100%. My one day off turned to 2 days off, then to 3 days. Then weeks off. In the end i just gave up, but i was trying to restart for months and months. I wasted so much money. In the end i was dieting to get rid of the weight i had gained so basically stopped losing all together.

I restarted last week after a good few months off. I have re-started with a better frame of mind. I know now that having little treats really doesnt work. The best way is to do it 100%. Plus, i have just realised that it takes a good 7 day week to get in to propper ketosis where you dont feel hungry at all. I never got back to that once i started to mess around.

If your friend feels that works for her, then let her get on with it. But dont feel your method isnt the best on. Your doing it the right way, so stick to that x

Y'know what, you guys have really made me think... now i am not the original poster's friend or anything, but i am a CD-er (in week 5-6) who does the "something nice to eat on a weigh in night" thing... not anything really carby or very very naughty but i think it is a coping mechanism i have used and i really can see now that rewarding myself with food is counter productive... my losses have been okay, 20.5lbs in 5 weeks, but i acknowledge that it could have been better....

personally nothing i've eaten has knocked me out of ketosis, and i check my stix religiously... I'm not even sure if going out of ketosis and back in again is as hard as it is the first time IYKWIM... i'd love to know the official answer...

I'm going to try and stop the food as a reward thingy personally, off the back of reading this thread...

maybe the best thing the OP can do is stick to her own diet and advise her friend that if she must eat then she should at least aim for low carbs, high protein to stand a chance of staying in ketosis and making the most of her 6day diet...

Do you share the same CDC, maybe she can have a word?

I wouldnt do that as it will make it a lot harder for yourself - you will come out of ketosis

I would say that you should stick to it 100% and when she sees what fab results you are getting, she might realise that what she is doing is counter-productive.

I think staying in ketosis on SS/SS+ is both vital and yet overemphasised at the same time.

Vital as in you need it for CD to operate correctly so that you stay in fat burning mode and don't lose your muscle mass etc.

Overemphasised in that people can lose sight of that fact that CD is first and foremeost a VLCD i.e. very low calorie diet that happens to put you in mild ketosis - it's not Atkins! The amount of people who cheat with protein and then bemoan that they've had a disappointing weigh-in because they somehow think that staying in ketosis will also magically make the extra calories they've consumed not count.

If you do the diet properly ketosis will take care of itself - hold that thought in your head and you won't go far wrong :)

everything that has been said about coming out of ketosis each week has definately put me off. I'll find some other way of treating myself (maybe a dress in a smaller size each month?)
she has been on the diet for 6 weeks and she has only lost 10 pounds. maybe i should show her this and she can see what she is doing in terms of ketosis.

i do the same as your friend but those losses are very low this is my 7th week on the diet and ive had 2 weeks out of the 7 where ive went completely off the diet and ive still lost 18lb and i know i shouldnt reward myself with food espec the pizza kind but its what keeps me from straying the rest of the week some people have much more willpower than others, i am determined to lose weight and i want to do this diet but the way i look at it if you deprive yourself completely it may start of a binge moment, i wouldnt reccomend this obviously but if it makes it easier and youre still losing weight on a weekly basis then i dont see the harm, you just need to know when to stop.

I have every saturday off & have since I started.... It's relatively easy for me to get back into it & although it has taken me longer to lose the weight (I ate normal for the whole of december though), I am pleased with the results. I think of all the lovely things I want to eat in the week & have a FULL day off.
Obviously this is not recommended, but it works for me.
There is no way I could've stuck to this diet for a few months without a break, so having that day breaks helps me in the week.

I lose on average between 2-3lb a week depending on the time of the month.

CD is a very personal journey & while there are "rules" they don't work for everyone & I'm a big beliver in doing whatever works for you. Some might see it as a waste of money, but not really as I've still lost the weight.

My weight losses have dropped considerably despite me doing it 100% 7 days a week (the last two weeks have seen less than 1.5lb per week)... I wouldn't be able to let myself have time off if ever want to get to target! Reward yourself when you get to the end!

Back