Is SW also effective for those over fifty?

Mig

Hi! Newbie wants to know. :D

Any one over fifty with good results? Any tips you would like to share? Thanks!

I can tell you that there are plenty of ppl in my group who are over 50 and doing well, and some at target. Exercise seems to be a key. As their metabolism has slowed down and the exercise helps their metabolism. One of the ladies is at target and she walks her dogs. She couldn't tolerate high carbs but now she is at target she is struggling to stop losing so had to increase her carbs. Which she saidade her feel bloated. So instead she added the odd extra treat. I know one of the other girls does a lot of swimming. Tbh Hun everyone is different, what suits one, will not necessarily suit you.

Yes, I am over 50, and lost at the same rate as I did in my 40s. I fell off the wagon then and now weigh more than a stone less than my first target weight 7 years ago.
I don't think that age has anything to do with weight loss. We have a lady in our class who is in her 70s and lost over 4 stone and still is a target member four years later.
Tips? Just stick to plan, and eat a lot of veg, and you can't go wrong!

That's sounds great! I started a week ago and was wondering. What you both said is very inspiring.

My Mum has lost 6 and a half stone in a year, she is 55 and diabetic. If she can do it, anyone can!

I am well over 50!!!!! and I am doing really well, I am a slow loser but I'm getting there.

My advice is to just keep following the plan/s, and you will lose weight.

Good luck to you.

My mums 67 (I think) and joined sw last summer. Lost about 22lb to get to her goal. She loves it and does quite a bit of walking now. Hers came off at 1/2 or 1 a week but she never felt hungry once and also goes out for a meal (with other wrinklies - their words not mine) once a weekish.

I'm 52 and SW worked to lose/is still working to maintain :):)

My mum is 56 and the last time I spoke to her she had lost 13.5lb (hopefully got her stone this week! Not spoken to her since her WI!) She's been at it about 8-10 weeks I think. She averages about 1-1.5 a week and doesn't excercise.

We have a lot of older ladies in our group, I think about 2/3rds are 60+ and we consistently get the highest weight losses out of all the groups my consultant runs :)

my mam is 56 and its working well for her

I'm 53 and am losing steadily - I'm reasonably active although have a desk job. I don't do any formal excercise and am losing on average 1lb per week - lots of over 60s in my group too

Thank you all for your replies. I’m also 52 and eating more or less healthy. My problem is that I like sweets too much (cookies, chocolate and so on…) and sometimes is hard to resist (Christmas, birthdays…) and then I put on pounds. By doing SW with the allowed syns I’m hoping to be able to control my sweet tooth better.

A friend of mine passed me all the info from body optimise and I’m doing SW all by myself. So far so go since I can eat most everything and I’m already used to eat lots of vegs. I’m doing (mostly) green days and red days. Something I had stopped eating while doing other diets was pasta but now I’m in a revenge mode and eating it like mad. LOL! Let’s see what the scale says by Saturday…

There are lots of low syn recipes for puddings in the recipe section for those with a sweet tooth - I don't generally have one but have a chocolate option (2 syns) or something similar when I do

Mig, may I suggest that you actually join a group? That way you can get all the latest info including EE, which I vouch for 1000000000%.
I have done red and green in the past before EE and fell off the wagon each time due to the restrictions on both plans as I like both together.
If you don't want to carry on in group you will have all the info you need to carry on, however, for me, I think that the weekly price is so worthwhile!
With regards to your sweet tooth, I also have one. When I rejoined SW I gave it all up. I know that SW does allow it but I was a serious chocoholic and I know that I can't stop at one or two. By giving it up I found it so much easier.
However, there are many recipes here that do help with SW friendly sweet treats, so gicve them a try, and good luck!

So far I've been feeding my sweet tooth for chocolate with Nutella, mini KitKat and After eights and I don't even use all my syns. I know I need to use my syns but I'm around 11 daily.

I know what you mean Malaika and I tend to agree with you. The fact is that I'm not in England. I probably should have told you all sooner but I'm not even English. I'm Portuguese and I live in Lisbon. Maybe I could join Bodyoptimise on line but for the time being I'm going to try to do it alone.

By the way... am I the only foreigner doing SW? :D

Back