Is the gym really making me heavier

Laws

I've been hitting the gym over the last week but I'm
Just getting heavier! I know I shouldn't weigh myself daily but I do it's a habit I'm trying to break but I've just been getting progressively heavier as the week has gone by! I'm not sure if it's down to the gym or the large portions of
Dinner I've been eating lol...I've been on plan 100% and been eating lots of superfree with my meals :( ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've been hitting the gym over the last week but I'm
Just getting heavier! I know I shouldn't weigh myself daily but I do it's a habit I'm trying to break but I've just been getting progressively heavier as the week has gone by! I'm not sure if it's down to the gym or the large portions of
Dinner I've been eating lol...I've been on plan 100% and been eating lots of superfree with my meals :( ugh!

Hi.. Yes it probably is but not a bad thing.. As muscle weighs heavier than fat, it simply means you're toning up.. So although the scales might say you have "gained" your measuring tape will tell you the inches you have lost :D Its all good :D

i hope so but just so hard to believe when I did weight watchers along side the gym I was losing 3 pounds a week not gaining :(

i hope so but just so hard to believe when I did weight watchers along side the gym I was losing 3 pounds a week not gaining :(

Ah it can be really disheartening when you're trying so hard and the scales is not showing it..
Did you take your measurements when you started? Waist, bust, hips, thighs and arms?? If not, I recommend to do it today.. Then do it at the same time again in a week.. Then I bet if the scales isn't showing you results the tape will!
Have you got a personal trainer? Maybe ask them for fat burning tips and then tips on toning also??

It can be disheartening as it looks like your going up but it will probably just be water retention due to muscle recovery. I'm not going to preach to you about not jumping on the scales daily because you already know its wrong, just try and wean yourself from the habit.

Can i just say that muscle doesnt actually weigh more than fat, after all 1lb of feathers is the same weight as 1lb of bricks, however it will take up less space than the fat as its simple more dense. Hence the agreement to measure yourself. I would measure practically your whole body, you will be surprised where you can lose it apart from the obvius bust waist hips add in your arms, thighs, knees, calfs etc.

Keep up the good work, the exercise will rev up your metabolism so it works harder when your at rest and therefore more calories burnt through the day.

No I never took my measurements, I'll have to get a tape measure lol! I don't thinking own one! :)

I've just felt so bloated the last few days aswell, I've been drinking around 2 litres of water a day if not a little more and thought this would reduce water retention...? X

No I never took my measurements, I'll have to get a tape measure lol! I don't thinking own one! :)

I've just felt so bloated the last few days aswell, I've been drinking around 2 litres of water a day if not a little more and thought this would reduce water retention...? X

The RDA of your water intake has been decreased to 1.5Ltrs.. Unless exercising, then ya'll obviously need more to replace what your body is losing..
I always found, when i'd start drinking the large amount of water, I always felt bloated.. Also, as you're eating healthier food and feeling fuller for longer, as well as probably eating more which is why you'd be feeling bloated.. It normally takes the body a couple of weeks to adjust to the new diet and exercise.. Stick with it.. It'll all be worth it :D

hi everyone, iwould also deffinatley agree with measuring yourself because when i was going to the gym i wasn't loosing much weight either so someoe told me to start measuring myself and i was so shocked how many inches i lost, also i have only just started slimming world and i my first and second week i was doin lots walking and bike riding and only lost 2lb then 1lb and this week i have done hardly any and lost 3lbs so iam sure that you retain water when you exercise, ;>D

I worry when I lose weight when i stop going to the gym that i'm just losing muscle and not fat lol! I'll have to start measuring myself from now on!

Thanks everyone :)

I stayed the same for a month when I joined the gym but lost 4 1/2 inch of my waist! Now a little worried as not been to gym for 2 weeks and really want to get back but worried weight will stop coming off again

I find it tough too, we just have to keep reminding ourselves that it is not just about the scales, it is all round health and the rest will follow! X

I find it tough too, we just have to keep reminding ourselves that it is not just about the scales, it is all round health and the rest will follow! X

I totally agree Woodland Girl. I've recently taken up cycling & not only have I lost weight, along with SW, but I have a lot more energy & just generally feel healthier. I use to struggle to get out of bed in the mornings, but now DH brings me a cup of coffee at 7am & Im up raring to go!!! Exercise releases natural endorphines which is the bodys 'happy pill'! :D

Back