Is there a caffeine issue with a VLCD?

louiser

Trying very hard!
I am jumping about at the minute whilst I decide what track I'm on!

I lost about 8st on Cambridge and put most of it back on (all my own doing) then turned to exante last year and lost about 4 before I got married but have put most of that on again and am now right back to where I started pre Cambridge!

I have been trying my best at Atkins / low carbing but don't think I get it really. I have been losing, not too bad I suppose but I am used to aiming for a stone a month on a VLCD and when its around half that I feel like I am not aiming the right way, iykwim?!

I still have some of my exante things (I quite liked the shakes and the porridge) so happy to head back in that direction.

Among my questions I am wondering if there is an issue with drinking caffeine on exante? I have been told to avoid it on atkins and I wondered if it was a ketosis thing? Also, I have been told to avoid skimmed milk as the lower the fat the higher the carbs, how does this relate to a VLCD? We have a big coffee pot at work and I have been avoiding it but sometimes I really fancy one sometimes!

Thank you for having a read, I look forward to hearing from you soon xxx

I have coffee every single day and I mix my chocolate and vanilla shakes with coffee as well. Are you talking about doing TS? If so, we're not meant to have milk. We can however have black coffee & tea, green tea, coke zero, and bouillion. Hope that answers your question! x

Thank you for your reply :)

I always remember making my cambridge chocolate shake up to a mocha which was lovely and caused no problems! Does avoiding caffeine not get mentioned on a VLCD then?

I am thinking of going for working solution as I take a big walk to work now and end up feeling a bit flakey! I am tall as well so had to do 4 packs when I was on cambridge. Its def skimmed milk we're supposed to have though isn't it?

Hiya caffeine does not affect weight loss just black coffee with a tablet based sweetner <3

No we can have caffeine on the diet!

I don't know anything about WS sorry! Maybe someone else will reply and let you know. Good luck on your journey! x

I dont think your allowed milk at all really - but i would check with exante!

Thank you for your lovely replies :)

I am looking forward to getting back to Exante actually, I feel like I know where I'm at with it, all this food stuff doesn't really make sense to me!

On a science side does anyone know why they tell you to stay away from caffeine on Atkins and Dukan but on a VLCD theres no problem?

I dont know why Atkins says no caffeine, it's weird. I just read this:

Rule 4: Don't give up your coffee

Atkins advises that you avoid caffeine and only drink decaffeinated coffee. This is totally unnecessary. If you are used to drinking coffee, just continue to do so. You will have a much easier adaptation period. Coffee makes your body burn more fat, and helps you adapt to fat burning faster. Coffee also suppresses your appetite, and has a mild thermogenic effect (you burn more calories). Last but not least, coffee is very addictive and hard to give up. I know a couple of people who gave up the Atkins Diet just because he says to stop drinking coffee! I am telling you - coffee will help your weight loss efforts. It is totally unnecessary to give it up.

but then I read this:

Does caffeine affect ketosis?

This is questionable. There ARE a few studies that suggest caffeine may cause blood sugar to rise, with consequent effect on insulin ... The studies involve consuming 50 gm glucose orally, followed by a dose of caffeine. This is quite different from a low carber, who is consuming only 20 gm carbs, in the form of high-fiber vegetables, spread throughout the day.

Many low carbers continue to enjoy caffeine-containing beverages with no serious impact on their weight-loss efforts. However, there are some sensitive individuals ... and persons who are extremely insulin resistant may need to restrict or even eliminate all caffeine. If you have been losing successfully then find your weight loss stalled for a month or two, and you are following your program to the letter, you might consider stopping all caffeine for a while, to see if that will get things started again.

I'm planning on having up to 100ml of skimmed milk a day as that's allowed on Slim and Save...if I think it's having an effect I'll stop it, but hopefully it won't.

I have loads of (caffeinated) tea and am still in deep Ketosis on week 4, and two of my cups a day I do put milk in, first and last thing cos I really find it cosy :) Am losing weight at a good rate so don't think caffein or a little milk has affected me.

Hi. I have been on Exante for 2 weeks. Week 1 I lost 10lb and week 2 7lb. I have had a coffee with a splash of milk every day. I don't realise it want allowed. Oops

Hi. I have been on Exante for 2 weeks. Week 1 I lost 10lb and week 2 7lb. I have had a coffee with a splash of milk every day. I don't realise it want allowed. Oops

I have never heard of caffeine being a problem on a vlcd.

Keep doing what you are doing as your weight loss is excellent! Well done!:happy096:

Back