Is there a maximum banks can charge in a month?

lilprincessvic

Gold Member
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a maximum banks can charge in 1 month?
My bank has taken out £156 in charges because they let something come out of my bank when I had no money in it. :-( This means I have no money for rest of month now.

It depends on the banks terms and conditions, but in general terms I don't believe they can take more in charges than it costs them to process the transaction, and also I don't believe they can take more than the transaction was worth.

A trip to the CAB would be my advice.

Thanks for your advice. I phoned them and was very nice and explained that they have taken my food for the month and would they kindly put it back!!! Ok maybe not in those words but the guy I got was very nice and refunded them so panic over :-D

Thanks for your advice. I phoned them and was very nice and explained that they have taken my food for the month and would they kindly put it back!!! Ok maybe not in those words but the guy I got was very nice and refunded them so panic over :-D

Its good to know you got an real person who understood the situation!

He was really nice. He said he had noticed I was going right to my limit every month since April and had anything changed I said yes my bf has lost his job so we r living off my wage only. He was very nice and said he would see what he could do and this is what he did :-D

Tbh most banks will refund charges as long as they make money out of you another way - interest on loans, overdrafts etc. Just ring them up and kick off. I used to work in a banks call centre and all I ever did was deal with people phoning up asking for their charges to be refunded!!

Back