Is this a healthy diet for pregnancy?

sona1980

Gold Member
b-Weetabix and semi skim milk
s- fruit
L- salad with either tuna, egg, cheese, chicken.

S- yogart / pitta bread with chicken.
D- whever everyone else is having but within reason.

Not trying to lose weight but dont want to gain anymore.. already put on 4 lbs in 5 weeks.

Sounds fine to me, just to make sure I would suggest a pregnancy multi vit. Are you pregnant now, if so congrats and how far along are you?

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

If it's of any help, in my first trimester my weight went up and down like a yo-yo, and it wasn't down to diet, just fluid and changes in my body. from week 4 to 5 I'd put 4lbs on, and was very scared that'd happen every week! But it went the following week :) I'm now yo-yoing between +3lb and +7lb!

Only things I would suggest is an increase of calcium, and, if you like orange juice, have some OJ with your breakfast as it helps you to absorb the iron from the cereals. I drink tropicana's smooth OJ with calcium, so kind of kill two birds with one stone.

Alternatively go for either a glass of cold milk, a milky decaff coffee or for a treat, a proper hot chocolate (cadburys of course!) made with hot milk. The warm milk drinks should also help with heartburn/indigestion later down the line too.

hey thanks gals!
thanks for ur help!
Im trying to eat helathy as i was on the dukan diet before i became PG and i lost 10lb in 5 weeks..nice n slow and it showed loads!! ( at a family wedding!) but since finding out i was pg for 2 weeks i kinda dropped the diet and just ate normally.. (not over the top just without restrictions) and i gained 5 lbs, then dropped 1 lb!

I have been healthy eating this week mostly and so far ive gained 800g but that was due to a big meal and also constipation! any tips for that!

Ooooh constipation :mad: Its been driving me nuts. I am not a fruit lover so I have had to drink more fresh juice etc eating high fire cereals are also fairly helpful. What I find helps me best is a daily (large) bowl of Alpen and that seems to be working at the moment.
Congratulations by the way.

In regards to the weight increase, don't forget, a pint of water weighs 1.25lb, so if you're drinking plenty of water then your weight can fluctuate a little depending on how much is still in your system.

For constipation - plenty of fruit and veg. Try not to peel fruit eg. apples, if you can, as there's more fibre in the skin. Plenty of fluids. I aim to get through 1.5l of water a day (don't forget, fluids can be tea, coffee, water, fruit juice, squash etc). Also, healthy snacks like nuts are good too, as the oils help and certain nuts are quite fiberous such as almonds. If you can eat them, a bowl of almonds and dried fruit as a snack are great.

Personally I go for a big bowl of kelloggs bran flakes (just because they tend to have more fibre than shop brand ones), and milk, plus my OJ and calcium for breakfast. I'd have alpen as I think that does get through you well (sorry if TMI!), but I get indigestion from the oats :(

You could also get some bran or linseed and add that over your cereal in the morning. Or have a go at making bran muffins (which I may do on the weekend now I've mentioned it!).

Hope something in there helped :)

thanks!
ive been having weetabix everyday!! still nothing special happening! lol im actually considering laxi's! Will give it one more day!

Ive been drinking orange juice at work the last 2 days and its really nice! its Sunmagic pure orange juice!

In regards to the weight increase, don't forget, a pint of water weighs 1.25lb, so if you're drinking plenty of water then your weight can fluctuate a little depending on how much is still in your system.

For constipation - plenty of fruit and veg. Try not to peel fruit eg. apples, if you can, as there's more fibre in the skin. Plenty of fluids. I aim to get through 1.5l of water a day (don't forget, fluids can be tea, coffee, water, fruit juice, squash etc). Also, healthy snacks like nuts are good too, as the oils help and certain nuts are quite fiberous such as almonds. If you can eat them, a bowl of almonds and dried fruit as a snack are great.

Personally I go for a big bowl of kelloggs bran flakes (just because they tend to have more fibre than shop brand ones), and milk, plus my OJ and calcium for breakfast. I'd have alpen as I think that does get through you well (sorry if TMI!), but I get indigestion from the oats :(

You could also get some bran or linseed and add that over your cereal in the morning. Or have a go at making bran muffins (which I may do on the weekend now I've mentioned it!).

Hope something in there helped :)

Ogh does this mean i can make bran porrige instead? that usually did the terick for me before on my diet..

thanks!
ive been having weetabix everyday!! still nothing special happening! lol im actually considering laxi's! Will give it one more day!

Ive been drinking orange juice at work the last 2 days and its really nice! its Sunmagic pure orange juice!

Laxatives need to be ok'd by your doc when you're pregnant. Some of them can make your womb cramp as well as your bowels so you need to check with the doc or midwife to see what you can have. Prunes are good - they work best if you soak them in fruit juice or water overnight and then have them first thing. They're a fab source of iron too. And of course, you need plenty of water to keep everything moving.

Ogh does this mean i can make bran porrige instead? that usually did the terick for me before on my diet..

I see no reason why not. Just don't go OTT on the bran as you don't want to strip your insides and cause other problems (not sure what these are but I'm sure you can overload on fibre). If in doubt, double check with your GP, but start with a small amount and see how it goes. If you've not had it for a while it might just be the kick you need.

I find that sometimes it's not the quantity in the intake, but a change in what you're having. eg. if I went for a bowl of alpen now, I'd probably be on the loo from it, but eating it every day it's like your body gets used to it.

If you do like Orange Juice, a good one I used to find that went right through me was M&S's own orange juice. It tastes really nice too, but a half litre of that and I'd be running for the loo! Don't know why, different oranges perhaps. Tastes really nice too :)

Yep I have to agree with Sarah in that if you have the same high fibre cerael everyday it tends not to work as well. I started out on All bran worked for about 10 days then things stopped again, then I changed to Bran flakes, great things moving again and so on, so I tend to get through a box then change in a cycle if you see what I mean. I stick to the orange juice after breakfast though, Tropicana smooth is my favourite;)

I didn't find that Weetabix helped my constipation at all in the first few weeks. The one thing that was my fail safe way to get things moving was to eat some apricots and have a large glass of water at the same time.

Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

First off..... Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!!

I can really sympathise with you as I suffer terribly with constipation. I drink loads of water and usually have a high fruit and veg intake, but nothing seems to help. If I eat things like all-bran or apricots I just find I become 'bound up' and go even longer without a bm.
No laxatives have ever worked and neither have gylcerine suppositories. During my last pregnancy the Doctor prescibed me Lactulose which helps with constipation and is also a stool softener and this luckily does help. I've just started taking it again during this pregnancy, but I still only have a bm once every 7-10days! Sorry if this is too much information!

I would go to your Doctor if it continues much longer, especially if a change in diet (increasing oj and fibre etc) doesn't help. I really hope you feel better soon as I know how sluggish and tired constipation can make you feel.

Back