Is this normal? Should I be worried??

I have never done Slimming World and never seen the word Syns actually written until minimins. I must confess when I heard people talking about them, I thought they were saying SINS. Having been bought up a Catholic, and done an "O" Level in Guilt :cool: I used to think it referred to when you were "naughty" and ate something fattening as a treat. Well now I know. thanks lentil :) chips xx

Which is exactly why I think they shouldn't be called syns, but that's a whole other story ;)

I hear you on the catholic guilt as well - same here! x

I have never done Slimming World and never seen the word Syns actually written until minimins. I must confess when I heard people talking about them, I thought they were saying SINS. Having been bought up a Catholic, and done an "O" Level in Guilt :cool: I used to think it referred to when you were "naughty" and ate something fattening as a treat. Well now I know. thanks lentil :) chips xx

Many years ago, SYNS were indeed called SINS! And that is one of the reasons they changed it, because as has already been said here, syns are not just for naughty food and I think it was changed in order to get people out of that mindset.
And that's when I found out about the SYNERGY thing! Very clever switch around really, wasn't it

Personally, I use my syns on things like gravy, mayo, ketchup etc.

Hi Missy. Just looking at your stats. Brilliant stuff. Look at that BMI fall. Well done you. See you're a veggie. Yesterday I posted something I treat myself to when I'm feeling morose .... :rolleyes: Try a couple of Kello organic rice cakes, with St Dalfour no sugar raspberry fruit spread (jam by any other name) with a dollop of reduced fat creme frais (can you have that ?) lovely. Feels like I'm tucking into 2 cream cakes :p chips xx

Don't worry Geoff. I'm very much in the same boat as you, in fact I took a week off the plan just to reassure myself that I could still put weight on, and I put on 0.5lb. Like you, I had never really heard of 5lb+ losses in one week, but that's the wonder of the plan - you eat healthier food and a balanced diet without really realising it, and your body is loving it! :)

One thing I would say though is to eat your syns. With your starting weight (similar to mine) you will easily lose weight if you go the full 15 each day, and you won't get cravings or feelings of abstension that you are going to encounter if you don't already. On SW, NOTHING is banned! Eat whatever you like within the plan!

Do remember that at your/our weight (and I'm guessing you aren't that much older than me, and live a lifestyle with light activity) you need anywhere between 2900-3200 calories a day just to live. I was eating about 4000-5000 every day, so if you are cutting right down to 1500, which the plan will make you do without realising it or having to count a single calorie, you are cutting 2500 calories EVERY DAY out of your diet. Yet you are still eating enough to survive on, your body is still getting all the nutrients it needs, but is burning fat from its reserves. That 2500 calories less equates to a 5lb per week weight loss (500 less each day for a week is a 1lb loss). Hope this makes sense!

If you are still genuinely worried, talk to your Consultant or go and visit your GP but take your food diary along with you. Hopefully they will laugh cheerfully and say "told you so" :)

Last edited:
When I first started, I lost a stone in the first fortnight and then I was averaging a stone a month. Definitely don't worry. It's all good :D

Hi Missy. Just looking at your stats. Brilliant stuff. Look at that BMI fall. Well done you. See you're a veggie. Yesterday I posted something I treat myself to when I'm feeling morose .... :rolleyes: Try a couple of Kello organic rice cakes, with St Dalfour no sugar raspberry fruit spread (jam by any other name) with a dollop of reduced fat creme frais (can you have that ?) lovely. Feels like I'm tucking into 2 cream cakes :p chips xx

Aw, thank you! I'm not the biggest jam fan but that rice cakes are lovely with chocolate philly on top - they're so versatile! x

Hi

Forgive me if this is the wrong place its my first post (other than my introduction)

I have just started week five of my Slimming World journey and the weight is simply falling off. Granted I have a bit to lose (5.5 stone) but I'm begining to wonder if this is normal. I should point out that I dont have any syns at all... anyway this is how it has gone so far...

Introduction 19st 5lbs

Week one 7.5lbs loss
Week two 5.5lbs loss
Week three 6.5lbs loss
Week four 5lbs loss

I have had 3 slimmer of the week awards and am 3.5lbs away from losing 2 stone and 2.5lbs from my Club 10....

Please dont think this is in anyway showing off, it is a genuine concern. Even my wife has asked if this is normal

What do you think??

Geoff

At 19st, this isnt anything to worry about. When you have such a large amount of body fat, your body is able to metabolise more than enough energy from the fat to not worry about having to get it from muscle break down or calorie eating. And remember, us men burn through energy much quicker than women. As your weight drops though start thinking about having syns. Your body will hit a brick wall when it cant burn the fat quickly enough to feed its requirements.

Here were my losses at the beginning:

Back