Is too much water dangerous? How much is too much?

Bb08

Hi all,
I've just started the sole source cambridge programme. My counsellor told me to drink at least three litres of water a day, and I get through about 4, to compensate for my workouts and as I'm generally thirsty. I also have 1-2 black coffee's, per day. I'm getting panicky though as I've heard a lot about water intoxication. It says on the BBC site that if your urine is clear you're drinking too much,and that too much will cause the brain to swell and lead to death. Now I'm terrified to drink my 3 litres. Any advice? How much is too much? Thanks for reading!

I think 3-4-5 is decent... but drinking 10 liters a water... seems too much to me. Not a pro or anything though, but I'm sure someone will come along with better advice :)

Good luck with your diet,

xx Lostris

hey hon. the reason you can drink so much water safely on cd is that you are making up for all the water you would usually get through food. so 3-4 litres is in no way unsafe. i personally don't go over four unless i've been sweating buckets as i get uncomfortable but others do on here without problem.

abz xx

I too have heard horror stories before about people who have died from water intoxication from diets.
I am sure what you are drinking will be fine, the most important thing is to drink throughout the day (as they say drink little & often & remember to drink before, during & after your workouts).

If you are worried you could ring NHS Direct for more advice

4litre a day is safe, so long as you SPREAD IT OUT.

The people who die from Water Poisoning (or Water Intoxication) are the people who drink 2, 3 or even 4 litres within a very short space of time.

A very publicised case was a radio stations' "Hold your wee for a Wii" where contestants had to drink up to 10litres of water without peeing.

The woman who dies drank almost the 10litres in around 40minutes I think, and consequently she basically drowned herself from the inside out.

So, as long as you have it little and often, anything up to 5 litres a day should pose no threat whatsoever :)

PS> I have around 3 to 4litres of water + my 4 shakes, so around 4 or 5litres a day, between 7.30am and 11pm, and I'm fine :)

does anybody know if drinking sparkling water rather than still hinders weight loss? I am drinking 3-4ltrs a day of carbonated (plain not fLAVOURED)water a day and am not sure if that is ok. thanks xx

I heard too much sparkly water can slow your weightloss and that it can somehow make you more hungry but I can't remember the source:$

I myself have noticed too much sparkling water does make my stomach noisy..not really hungry just... grkwjhrkjr-sounds :')

I'm sure a CDC will know the answer to this

xx

Hi Lostris, thanks for that my hubby doesnt think its too good either so I am going to start drinking tap water and see what happens! btw my cdc said its ok but she has said a few things are ok that i have found out on this diet are ok so not sure i trust what she says 100% of the time

sparkling water is allowed on cd. it should be absolutely fine. it is literally just water that has been carbonated to make it fizzy. it has no carbs or additives.

some people have spoken about it changing their weight losses. i'm not sure how that would be possible so it may be worth experimenting, but there shouldn't be a problem.

abz xx

in my book it says 4 PINTS (2.25 litres) please tell me this is right i HATE water as it is and am struggling with that!!!

Back