Is your stomach rumbling? Here's why!

Caz

Repeat Offender
My stomach is rumbling a fair bit at the moment, and I've spoken to a few other people who say the same. So I thought I'd share my knowledge with you guys.

It's called Borborygmus (which almost sounds like the sound my stomach makes!) and is caused by the fact that my stomach is practically empty. Gas is produced in the stomach from the digestion of the food that you've eaten. The walls of the stomach contract to squish up the food inside it to aid with digestion. As the walls contract it pushes that gas through the contents of your stomach, which will be fairly liquid because of digestion. With Cambridge Diet it's basically all liquid, which makes it worse, but because there's no or little food there, there's nothing to dampen down the sound. So the answer is, it always happens, but you hear it more when there's no food inside your stomach.

So that kind of brings up the question of if there's no food to move around, why does my stomach still sound like the rumblings of the Loch Ness Monster?? It's because our bodies naturally respond to the desire for food with preparing the stomach for what it thinks you're about to go and eat. So I guess the reason that it's happening more on this diet is because my desire our food is higher because we don't get any! But as it's a reflex response, as we carry on with this diet and desire food less, or get more used to not having food, our stomachs will actually be trained not to expect certain meals or meals at certain times, get used to the smaller intake as it shrinks, and so it'll be less noisy!

I think (for me anyway) that I don't really mind about knowing the 'name' for the rumbling of my stomach. I mean, it's common sense that when you first start a VLCD your stomach is bound to rumble as it is used to the food filling up the stomach. I find water helps with the rumbling. But it is one of those things that will happen when on CD - surely it's a matter of just putting up with it if you have decided to take the VLCD route??? Finding out the name of it/cause of it won't stop it.

Oh I know, knowing the name of it won't stop it, but a couple of people had mentioned it. I didn't post with the view of people knowing how to make it stop or anything, was just interesting.. or so I thought anyway!

Am just eating my porridge and my tummy is soooo noisy lol.

Oh I know, knowing the name of it won't stop it, but a couple of people had mentioned it. I didn't post with the view of people knowing how to make it stop or anything, was just interesting.. or so I thought anyway!

I guess I'm more an 'action' girl, rather than 'research girl' ROFL!!!

cool, I especially like that part about training the stomach not to expect food at a certain time. I used to always be thinking 'its lunch time that means food', whereas now im more thinking 'its lunchtime but im not wanting food just yet, it can wait'. A useful thing for later on maintenance i think to try and recognise real hunger signals, rather than timing!

I like facts like that Caroline, cheers for posting it. Interesting to know why our bodies do certain things xx.

I like to know why its doing it too, Hubby is doing CD to now and the other morning it was silly the noise our tummies were making.

Lol!!! My stomach only rumbles when i lie on my left side in bed and not on the right! Now WHY is that?????:confused: Anyone know?

As I have only re-started today the rumblings haven't commenced yet but no doubt tonight will start the jungle drums!!!:D I think it's just my stomach complaining very loudly coz it's empty:p

It's actually very amusing that it has got a name even if i can't pronounce it!!:D:D

I guess I'm more an 'action' girl, rather than 'research girl' ROFL!!!

Maybe so. I'm just doing both! I'm quite a logical person, I like knowing why something does what it does. For me I find understanding the key to many things. I can be quite an anxious person about things and often find understanding helps with that, so I guess it's become a kind of habit. It was just interesting for me to see about how this is retraining your stomach to not have that reflex for food as surely that's what a big part of this diet is about, not just losing the weight, but retraining ourselves and our bodies in the way we react and respond to food. So was just interesting to see our stomachs retrain too!

Maybe so. I'm just doing both! I'm quite a logical person, I like knowing why something does what it does. For me I find understanding the key to many things. I can be quite an anxious person about things and often find understanding helps with that, so I guess it's become a kind of habit. It was just interesting for me to see about how this is retraining your stomach to not have that reflex for food as surely that's what a big part of this diet is about, not just losing the weight, but retraining ourselves and our bodies in the way we react and respond to food. So was just interesting to see our stomachs retrain too!

Indeed. Is there a term for the bum rumbles? lol

I am sure half the time it is my bowel and not my stomach!!

Back