Its about time..

i<3jellybeans

A week or more ago, someone (im so sorry but i cannot find your original post) posted on here that they sold some of their old jewellery and got a decent amount of cash for it.

I replied saying i might also try and do the same. I wondered if anyone would give me some advice... please :sign0163:

I have quite a large amount of jewellery that i have in my jewellery box which were gifts from a previous relationship. I havnt touched or even looked at these since the relationship ended. (long time ago)

I have no intention in wearing anyone of them, i wondered how would i go about getting these items valued? My mum said it would be a good idea to go to more than one jeweller and to get quotes. I said to my mum that i dont feel happy leaving it all there, as to be honest im funny like that, id rather be there..get it quoted and then go home with the jewellery and think about it.

Has anyone done this, (i dont mean using that cash 4 good thing) and could give me some pointers?

:thankyou:

Hi personally and from experience I think I would take it to reputable jewellers near you and get some quotes ,some offer a better price than others and there is no obligation to sell to them,

Ive heard bad reports about sending them to companies by post.

You can also check online for the latest gold prices so you know what they should offer.

Hope you get plenty of money Good Luck

It was on some programme last week about this & they advised to go to jewellery shops (not the pawnbroker type shops) Do not send it away because the woman on this programme was offered some silly money for it & when she said no they took ages to send it back.

Good luck X

If you take it to a reputable jewellers and they ask you to leave it with them, get a receipt from them so you have a list of what they're holding. If it's a reputable jewellers it simply wouldn't be worth the damage to their business to do anything untoward with it.

Ahh lovely, thank you all for your advice :) x

I used hatton garden metals - it is
Postal but u wiegh your stuff first then receive the money by bacs within 24 hours. Great price and fab service totally recommend
hattongardenmetals.com

Interesting, thanks for the info :)

Hi jellybeans,

Please please don't use a postal service. Check the current price of gold (or silver etc) online (try to get the price per gram), weigh your gold at home (although your kitchen scales are not likely to as accurate as a jewellers) and you'll have an idea of the base value (although will need to account for any stones too). If it is broken / only of metal value you will lose perhaps up to 20% of the weight cost but if it is to be sold on and the piece includes alot of good craftmanship you may be able to add to the weight cost.
As mentioned above, a good jeweller will not risk their reputation to make a fast one! Perhaps take some photographs beforehand and take someone along with you for moral support (and to help you wager the best price!).
Finally, if you're not happy, bring it all away from the shop and try again somewhere else.
I hope this helps x

Hatton garden metals are great - just read there feedback they offer some of the best prices around - beat my local jewellers and they tell u on the website what to expect so no surprises - honestly you can't go wrong I've used them 3 times and had the money in the bank by 11am the next day after posting
You don't get much better service than that - there prices are clearly displayed on the website and are updated daily

I went to town today (day off from work) with my mum to do some shopping around and also to take my jewellery in finally. It's a good job i went to several places as they all said a different answer for each jewellery. I took with me 3 rings, 3 necklaces and my engagement ring. One jeweller said to me that my engagement ring wouldnt be worth much, and i then went to H Samuel (where my ring was brought) and asked them if they could give me a rough guess of how much my ex would of paid for it. As i had the box, certificate and the ring was in mint condition it would of sold for around £800, and that she recommended that i should put it on ebay for a starting price of £600. Big difference compared to what another jeweller said.

So, in the next few weeks i might ask my neighbour to set me up on ebay and to see how i go, i dont want to go any lower than £600.

But then i dont have a clue about how i would post it, ie - the cost of packaging etc? As ive never posted something valuable. Or used ebay if im honest.

The other jewellery i would of got around £101 for it, just for the gold and i would of had the stones/gems back.

Not sure what to do with those to be honest. :rolleyes:

~daisy~ said:
Hatton garden metals are great - just read there feedback they offer some of the best prices around - beat my local jewellers and they tell u on the website what to expect so no surprises - honestly you can't go wrong I've used them 3 times and had the money in the bank by 11am the next day after posting
You don't get much better service than that - there prices are clearly displayed on the website and are updated daily

Sounds like an advert!!!

I can assure you I have no relation to them and I take great offence to your implication
I have used a service that the OP was interested in and been very pleased with it so was happy to pass it on

That's it plain and simple - I'm not the one who will lose out in terms of money lost ....

~daisy~ said:
I can assure you I have no relation to them and I take great offence to your implication
I have used a service that the OP was interested in and been very pleased with it so was happy to pass it on

That's it plain and simple - I'm not the one who will lose out in terms of money lost ....

It wasn't an insult and no offence was intended, i just meant it in a light-hearted way because you were singing their praises.

No Smilie no winky face just lots of !!!! It Didn't read as a joke

As said it's a service I've used been extremely pleased with and more than happy to recommend - nothing more

I don't use smilies or winky faces and hadn't realised that not using them meant I was being offensive.

Back