It's All Down(hopefully not hill) From Here

You guys all sound so supportive I can't help myself actually posting something, having been lurking for about an hour =P. I have literally just been prescribed Xenical this morning and am currently sitting here wondering whether I'll be able to go to University a completely new person. Which is why I'm starting this diary actually, so that in my down moments I can scrowl back up and find that statement. New person for University. But yeah I suppose I should tell you a bit about me right?

My name's Beth, I'm 17, from Brighton and have been battling with my weight since I was about 9 years old -raises sword to swing at fat on her thighs-. I've been on every diet from Weight Watchers to Slimming World but a sweat aversion (aka laziness) has caused me to have a little issue with exercise, but I will be trying to get over that... I promise I will =P

I really have a problem with my food intake, I recently made a food diary and to read it you'd think I was a small army. (Entire packet of angel slices in one day!?) But all joking aside I really know I've got an issue in my head as well as my stomach. A reliance on sugar and caffeine often leads me to binge... Bad. Then post binge I just go "Oh well I'm always going to be this size, might as well eat myself into an early grave because at least I'll be able to get a specially made coffin." So I really need to lock my cupboards to avoid those binges I feel. I'm probably more worried about the whole death thing because my Grandma died of being too large very young meaning I am pre-disposed to having weight issues which can lead to serious health concerns.

Currently a student at a Sixth Form my main issue seems to lie with what I eat for lunch, as my breakfast and my dinner are actually quite healthy (parents are on weight watchers which helps). I just tend to go to the shops during my free period and pretty much buy anything that's either on special offer or sounds like it'll give me a rush of energy enough to get through the day. So packed lunches here I come I feel - no self control at the moment so shan't even bother to put myself in the way of temptation because I know I won't resist it.

With regards to drinking I don't that much, my main vice is diet soft drinks - am actually an addict to the caffeine I think so I really need to ween myself off a bit. At the moment I down a minimum of 2 litres of diet coke a day. Not good, as I do actually want a stomach lining in later life. Might just come in handy!

So yeah that's me. I'm feeling really positive at the moment which I hope will stay with my through the course of my time on these little blue pills. I just need the support to know I'm not doing this on my own as most of my friends are skinny people who can eat whatever they want without gaining a pound. All drama people we spend a lot of time on stage (therefore under the scrutiny of others) and I always feel like the shuffling elephant in the middle so... NO MORE! I will finally beat this bulge and when I do I might even get cast as something other than the mother or the sister for once! (romantic lead here I come =P)

Really pleased to have found this place!

Beth
( aka the girl who will no more be a shuffling elephant )

Last edited:
Welcome Beth...:) And good luck with your weight loss journey!

Have you decided which path you're going to follow on these tablets? Are you doing Weight Watchers with your parents, or are you counting calories, or simply watching your fat intake?

Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you only eat 5g of fat per 100g of food, and no more that 15g of fat in each meal, and you won't have any side effects.
It sounds like you've got a good foundation, since you eat healthily at breakfast and dinner, but I guess it's about finding something to keep you full during the day, without the constant caffeine/sugar rushes you're describing.

It might help to plan out your food a couple of days in advance, so you know what's coming, and you won't be as tempted to grab something on the go. You'll also need low fat snacks to carry with you, to keep you out of the shops!!

Other than that, you'll need to drink plenty (water ideally). Diet Coke won't cause any problems on the tablets, it's probaby not great to be drinking so much in one day.
I heard somewhere that sweet drinks fool the body into thinking that there's gonna be some energy coming its way (ie food), but when that doesn't happen (because it's onlly a drink with no nutritional value) you end up hungrier than you were before. I don't know if there's any truth in that, and I can't really lecture, because I have a diet coke every lunch-time.
Try to balance it out with more water, perhaps with low sugar fruit cordial added? I know it's gonna be difficult at the start, so you'll probably have to do it gradually.

Well I think that's enough rambling from me....I really wish you all the best with this. I soooo wish I'd done something about my weight before I went to uni, instead of waiting until years later!
Bye for now :)

Thank you for the advice! Definitely what I need haha! I'm going to be counting calories and watching my fat intake, so lots of looking at labels xD

I'll definitely do the day planning because it will help me save money as well as calories :) and thanks for the idea of low sugar cordial - I'll see if I can pick some up when I go on my first Xenical food shopping trip.

Hi, Beth and welcome, you've come to the right place. First of all there is an old Weight Watchers or Slimming World mantra, can't remember which, which is something along the lines of "Nothing tastes as good as slim feels" I find this useful to repeat to myself when faced with temptation. You are on to a winner with the Weight Watchers parents at home, this way the stuff isn't there for you when you take a notion. Packed lunches are a great idea but make sure you pack plenty so that you don't feel deprived and inclined to binge. Fruit is high in natural sugars which may help a little with sugar cravings. Also remember cereal bars such as Special K or Alpen Light for snacking on if you need them. I can't help with the caffeine issues as I drink far too much coffee! (Trying to wean myself onto decaff as we speak) Good luck with your journey, and imagine how it will feel the first day at Uni to walk in there slim....

KB x

Hi beth x just read ur post and I have also done every diet under the sun I usually cheat feel guilty and give up but these little blue pills have really focused my attitude to my diet an weight loss programme I wish I'd started it last year as I got married in June and didn't really feel as beautiful as a bride should like u all my friends are slim and never have to watch wat they eat so not fair lol I've found this site brilliant for encouragement as I hate talkin about my weight to people I get so embarresed I feel like a frigging heffer x as for ur caffine and diet coke fix have u tried flavoured sparkling Water and green Tea it takes a bit to get used to bit it's really good and I read can help with ur metabolism x x I also read if u do something 30 times it becomes a habit am hoping after 30 days my healthy eating will become a habit x x x good luck beth and think of all the good times to come at uni x x just don't put it all back on again with all the boozing lol x

Hi Beth, welcome to the site - I am new this week too! On day 4 of Xenical and all going well at the moment! I have been overweight all my life and have missed out on so much - so make the difference now - and I love that saying from Kitty - "nothing tastes as good as being slim feels" - we are in charge of our own destiny and I have finally realised that after many years of failed diets! Good luck with the little blue pills! Now my best friends!

Thanks so much for all the support! I've put that saying on my desktop so everytime I load my laptop I see it. Well it's day three and I will admit watching my brother eat a fried bacon sandwich today was hard, I think my body's gotten to that "What are you doing where's my junk gone!?" stage and is sending my brain messages. So far the little blue pills have given no side-effects so I must be doing it right... I think. I'm averaging about 15g of fat/1500 calories a day. Mum's ordered the Ali book and we're all really going for it. Walking everyday... Weigh in on sunday - can't wait to see what I've lost (if i have lost).

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up and you will loose the weigh come your weighin.

(a bit belatedly) Hello Beth! Well done on your first loss! I hope it continues :D

yes belated. but still....

Welcome and super job on the loss for your first week!!!

YOU CAN DO THIS, AND YOU WILL DO THIS!!

Good luck, and keep posting!

well done on the loss :D

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and well dones xD I stood on the scales this morning and was pleased to find another 2 1/2lb missing from where they were last week! If I keep this up I shall be slim, svelt and sassy by University =P

Well done!! :D

well done!!!

even with my birthday party and everything I still managed to lose 3lb!!!!!! am currently bouncing the walls!!!! and considering when is the best time to join a gym...

Back