I've lost all of this weight but I still feel fat!

A lot of people tell me I'm looking really slim, but I still look fat to me when I look in the mirror, and I still feel fat. I think for a lot of people including myself that will be a hard thing to overcome, because it's kind of embedded in your brain after being fat for so long that that's what you are.

I've always been fat, I've grown up fat, and that's always what I've been defined as. Changing that way of thinking is more difficult than losing the weight itself.

Thanks for all of your replies. Last night I was really upset after looking in the mirror naked for a while (as I'm sure you all do!). I do feel better now I know that I am in the same boat as all of you guys, although I do worry that I will still see myself as fat when I get to goal as that would be quite a disturbing and dangerous frame of mind I think! Fingers crossed, the last few lbs will make all the world of difference and also I am starting back at the gym from next week so I think that will help my body tone into a much nicer shape.

Thanks again for all of your replies. Last night I felt like giving up, but all of you have made me feel so much better so thank you so much for that.
x

Its not just me then! I was saying this on another thread. I totally know where you are coming from. I have lost 72lb now in total (as of last wi) but still see myself as the 17+ stone size 24 person I was. I keep wondering why my parents say to me "you have lost enough now" and keep blaming jealousy lol. I have always said I'll know when I have lost enough but the reference to "anorexic eyes" (like that one btw) is the way I see myself going & I need to make sure my mindset is changed. I know I wont go that way but its easy to see how you could.

Hopefully when I get into the healthy range & start eating more & toning up more (have exercised regularly anyway) I'll be happier.

Anyway, I'm rambling now but you probalby know what I mean (and no, your not the only one to stand looking at yourself naked in the mirror lol)
xxx

This thread is soooo interesting, I lost weight with LL about 5 years ago, over 3 stones and because I just couldn't see the difference when I looked in the mirror I piled it all back on and some!!

I could cry when I look at photographs of that time, I looked amazing and didn't realise it, I am being careful not to make the same mistakes this time, I am allowing myself to accept compliments and try to visualise what others see, not what my 'fat/over eater' mind says.

Good luck everyone xx

Sarah x

I completely agree with what people are saying, i'm sure our heads don't catch up quick enough with our weight loss!! I look in the mirror every day and still see chubby me...... but sometimes it really clicks, a certain pair of jeans are too big, or i buy a size 14 top and it was TOO BIG!!! Oh god that was a good day!!

but sometimes it really clicks, a certain pair of jeans are too big, or i buy a size 14 top and it was TOO BIG!!! Oh god that was a good day!!
I find when I'm buying clothes, I'll pick something up in several sizes too big, because when I look at it, I think it'll never fit me, but when I put it on, it's huge!

I'm now a size 10 and I still find myself picking up size 16 clothes because to me they look like they're the only ones that will fit me.

I find when I'm buying clothes, I'll pick something up in several sizes too big, because when I look at it, I think it'll never fit me, but when I put it on, it's huge!

I'm now a size 10 and I still find myself picking up size 16 clothes because to me they look like they're the only ones that will fit me.

I know what you mean, chick! Even when i lost weight the last time i still wore size 16 top because of my big boobs:D This time i keep picking up 16 tops and can't compute that they really don't fit anymore. I can't seem to come to terms with the fact that i'm not the big busty girl that i was (although i have to say i've still got plenty to spare:p)

I agreee with everything you are saying, i attended a freinds wedding yesterday and people were saying how good i looked and how much weight i've lost, but i feel as though they are saying it because they know i'm on CD and they know how much i've lost. I then start to feel even worse as i don't like what i see in the mirror now and so i can't imagine how bad i must have looked before.

I don't seem to be able to win with myself to be honest, i keep thinking "in another stone people will REALLY be able to tell rather than having to lie" tbh i'm doing my own head in now as i wish i could just accept what people are saying is true as it would make me feel better!

xx

Know what you mean - as of today I have lost 105lb but still look in mirror and see a size 24/26. I still don't go to certain shops cos "they won't fit me!!!" stupid when I am a 10/12!!
I have lost most of my weight slowly with ww and just the last couple of stone on cd, and my head hasn't caught up!!!!
Clothes help - when I am wearing a size 10/12 I can rationalise that I am that size naked - is another thing entirely!!!!!

Know what you mean - as of today I have lost 105lb but still look in mirror and see a size 24/26. I still don't go to certain shops cos "they won't fit me!!!" stupid when I am a 10/12!!
I have lost most of my weight slowly with ww and just the last couple of stone on cd, and my head hasn't caught up!!!!
Clothes help - when I am wearing a size 10/12 I can rationalise that I am that size naked - is another thing entirely!!!!!

I've lost weight reasonably quickly, which is probably why I haven't really noticed it. It doesn't help that most of the people I know are still smaller than me (the average size of my friends is size 6 - 8), so compared to them I still look big. I wear the same size clothes as my mother now, but she still looks skinnier to me when I compare us in the mirror.

There's no photos of me when I was bigger, and I never took any measurements of my hips/waist/thighs etc., so I have nothing to compare the size I am now to what I was, which is probably part of the problem.

I've lost weight reasonably quickly, which is probably why I haven't really noticed it. It doesn't help that most of the people I know are still smaller than me (the average size of my friends is size 6 - 8), so compared to them I still look big. I wear the same size clothes as my mother now, but she still looks skinnier to me when I compare us in the mirror.

There's no photos of me when I was bigger, and I never took any measurements of my hips/waist/thighs etc., so I have nothing to compare the size I am now to what I was, which is probably part of the problem.

Yes, I didn't measure the inch loss before hand and wish i had. Luckily though i do have some horrendous photos to remind me:eek:!! It makes me even more determined not to go back to that again. The only problem is that i think i'm becoming quite vain as i can't help looking at pictures of myself now:p but i think that is because i can't quite believe that i am slim and need constant reassurance!!:)

Yes, I didn't measure the inch loss before hand and wish i had. Luckily though i do have some horrendous photos to remind me:eek:!! It makes me even more determined not to go back to that again. The only problem is that i think i'm becoming quite vain as i can't help looking at pictures of myself now:p but i think that is because i can't quite believe that i am slim and need constant reassurance!!:)

I wish I had some pictures, but when I was bigger I avoided the camera as much as possible. x]

I think I have a rather warped vision of slim. When I was size 16, I said I would be happy to be a size 12. When I was size 12, I said I'd be happy at size 10. Now I'm size 10, I'm still not happy. ><

I wish I had some pictures, but when I was bigger I avoided the camera as much as possible. x]

I think I have a rather warped vision of slim. When I was size 16, I said I would be happy to be a size 12. When I was size 12, I said I'd be happy at size 10. Now I'm size 10, I'm still not happy. ><

I know - initially all i wanted was to be a size 14 and not feel as if everyone was judging me by my size - i didn't care about my flabby tum and bingo wings:mad: but then when i lost weight these things became my new nemesis:cry:. However good news is that i have now come full circle and am coming to terms with the fact that i have to stop beating myself up over my body flaws. I yo-yo dieted for years and caused the damage so i can't expect to look like Cindy Crawford. Other people really don't notice these things, only ourselves!!

I know - initially all i wanted was to be a size 14 and not feel as if everyone was judging me by my size - i didn't care about my flabby tum and bingo wings:mad: but then when i lost weight these things became my new nemesis:cry:. However good news is that i have now come full circle and am coming to terms with the fact that i have to stop beating myself up over my body flaws. I yo-yo dieted for years and caused the damage so i can't expect to look like Cindy Crawford. Other people really don't notice these things, only ourselves!!
I think it's because I'm young, so most people my age are tiny. I'm cursed with a slow metabolism and the "fat gene", as well as bad eating habits, so I gain weight easily while most girls my age eat for England and still stay size 8.

If I was older, I'd probably feel more comfortable the size I am, because by then most people have filled out and wouldn't stand out so much.

I'm happy in the knowledge though that while I may be a bit bigger, I eat healthy and exercise so I'm likely to stay this size when I get older. All those girls who eat crap and do nothing, the weight will catch up with them eventually! :rolleyes:

I reall think this is just the same way as we are in denial when we are putting weight on we still see the same person and quite often buy the bigger size jeans because they must be small sized its all about the brains ability to change an image. When i dream of where i live i am still in the house we left almost 7 years ago. I think the brain takes its time to update the side of the brain we use to recall. i believe that it will take time to adjust. I those of you who have lost all this weight and are struggling with your self image look absolutley stunning and i can't wait to join you.

xxx

I'm happy in the knowledge though that while I may be a bit bigger, I eat healthy and exercise so I'm likely to stay this size when I get older. All those girls who eat crap and do nothing, the weight will catch up with them eventually! :rolleyes:
Too right hun, I was one of those girls, it all went wrong when I hit 20 and my body decided to store the fat instead of burning it off like it did in my teens, and I piled on weight. Now I'm fighting to get it back off, but I'm almost there thank god.

Good on you for realising it early on.xxx

Too right hun, I was one of those girls, it all went wrong when I hit 20 and my body decided to store the fat instead of burning it off like it did in my teens, and I piled on weight. Now I'm fighting to get it back off, but I'm almost there thank god.

Good on you for realising it early on.xxx

Surfbunny,

Like you i was really slim until i hit my 20s:( (University did it to me!!!:D) It has taken until i reached 40 to realise what i was doing wrong - CD has really made me realise why i was overweight. I blamed my metabolism, my genes, everything and although i know that for some people that is a very real problem, for me it wasn't - It was me putting the extra calories in my own mouth. Yes i did mostly eat healthily but everything i ate was supersized and usually with second helpings:eek:. As you say - when young i didn't drive and walked everywhere, i did PT at school and was generally more active. Now i'm a couch potato (but trying very hard to include exercise!!:p). I have finally stopped blaming everything else and am just getting on with it!!

i worry more about how i look and what others think than when i was at my heaviest

Did you know that research finds this to be one of the side effects of dieting?

In the Keys experiment, they took a group of normal weight men and put them on a diet.

A number of issues came up, but one in particular was that these men, only expressed concern about feeling overweight during/after the diet. Not before they were put on it.

All normal weight at the beginning of the diet, and slimmer when they said they felt overweight.

Thought that was interesting.

Great post KD ^.^

I think it's absolutely true, I mean, dieting is generally about losing weight - so it makes sense that you'll be focusing more on your weight.

I'm now a size 10, but I seem to do the opposite - pick up 8s in the hope... :D

And yep, I spend lots of time naked in front of the mirror ^.^ haha. I think it's partially because we shrink in proportion, so my overly large tummy is still big in proportion with the rest of me :rolleyes:
So I look at my belly and think it's huge, but it's not actually. :)

x

Back