Ive upset my husband help me pleeeeease :)

hollys nan said:
I have a similar prob with my hubby but have given up with him to be honest. He is also 5' 10" tall and weighs well he says 15st 6lbs but I think its a lot more than that. He is OK everywhere but his tum! He is diabetic and is on statins and blood pressure tabs. He once did s w with me a long time ago and lost quite a lot but like me put it back on. This time round I have got to target and kept it off for nearly 12 months or more but he just wont entertain it. He did do it for a little while but didnt read the books and I tried to explain syns, hes etc but I could see he just wasnt interested despite him seeing how different I look! He will go across to Asda and get a pre packed sandwich, yes we do have bread in! If we go to the pub he has a few wines with cheesy garlic bread or nuts! I am happy to have a diet coke!!!! So I have given up, yes he does have some s w meals and he does enjoy them, but he will then eat a lot of rubbish in between and not make good choices. I try to tell him to have extra light mayo, he has the light, he has loads of coleslaw (work of the devil I think yuck) and piles it onto his salad instead of measuring it with a spoon. He has to want to do it, and he doesnt so there is nothing I can do. So worried about him really. I know if the doc told him bluntly you must lose weight he would do it, but they just seem to pussyfoot around the issue. He does go the gym though because they have told him he has got to exercise.

I eventually sat down with him and said right doctor said you need to lose the weight your leg won't get better if you don't. Ok he hasn't read the book but he's consciously making better choices like choosing fruit or free food as snacks rather than chips or sweets. He enjoys the actual slimming world meals it's just what he has I between and the amounts that he eats. When he saw this morning that he lost 3lbs gave him a bit of a boost. In our case it was tough love and blunt talking that got his head straight good luck with your hubby they are worse than the kids sometimes. ;) x

Hi Fiona, have tried blunt talking so many times. He looks at me with that "Oh no, not s w again! give it a rest" look. Or he will say "yes yes" and change the subject. Was your hubbys doctor blunt with him? I think my hubby is in a lot of denial. He said his weight isnt too bad! I said its more girth than anything else. And I think thats why he is diabetic. Hes not on any meds for it yet, just keeping stable atm, but I do say you will end up on meds if you dont lose weight.And I am sick of throwing clothes out which no longer fit. He just wants to keep them but unless he does something about his weight he may as well throw them out.And yes they certainly are worse than kids! I feel unless the doctor sits down with him and tells him straight (which they dont seem to do, they just say well you perhaps could do with losing a little weight) then I am on a hiding to nothing. He has a bad back at the minute and again his weight doesnt help. Oh well, sorry moan over and thanks for your post. :(

Hi Holly's nan
I know how you feel the bug bear of mine is tshirts the amount of money waste on clothes is beyond a joke.
Basically Tony's doctor said that his leg will not get better if he doesn't lose weight and I think the pain he was in sort of shocked him. Obviously the dr is here everyday ao that where I stepped in lol I don't want to be mean cause I love him but I told him I'm here to kill his buzz everytime!! At first he was stomping about cause of the bread allowance and so on but when he stuck to it for that first week and lost the 3lbs I think it sortof clicked that not once did he go without or hungry.. It helps I think that I'm going through it too and it's hard cause I'm underactive thyroid!
At home I'm trying to make varied meals do either of don't get bored and he's checking his own syns etc.
I hope your Hubbie is ok diabetes is no fun my mom is diabetic and overweight and she's trying some of the recepies from sw there are no class in Zimbabwe :) she's walking two km a day.
Swimming and walking maybe up his street? That's what tony was reccomended by dr x

To be honest he is very good with the exercise part of it. He goes to the gym 3 times a week for half an hr each time on the bike. He knows S W works, well I have got to target and lost 2st 4lbs on it. He knows you dont go hungry! He enjoys the meals I prepare, but he doesnt weigh stuff like sauces etc. He drinks a lot of wine at the weekend, though he is trying to cut down a bit, he likes a tipple of whisky too. If we go for a coffee, I will have a skinny latte, quite happy with that, but he has to have a baguette,toastie,or tea cake! Its things like that that really bug me. I dont understand how he can be happy where he is, there again I know he isnt deep down. I think the only thing which will change him is if either the doctor is straight with him, or something major happens to his health and I really dont want that! Men eh!!!!!!

Hi, ive been reading this thread and can I just say that it melts my heart that you lovely ladies love ypur Husbands so much that you are making changed to help them... even if they cant always see that. I think its very inspirational and I keep
lookong to see how you and your husbands are doing. You should be proud that you are perservering... please dont give up. You want your husbands healthy and around in 20 years so you should be very proud of yourselfs. Ive picked up some great tips on here aswell and ive been helping my boyfriend by cooking more for him and doing a bit of extra fruit when im preparing my snacks so he has something to munch on rather then reaching for the crisps when he's peckish.
Keep up the hard work ladies and i'm going to keep an eye on this story xxx

suzie290304 said:
Sorry to hear about your husbands health, I think the trick hear is to show your husband it's not all about eating veg, I can't stand veg too and still find loads to eat. You could try and make tuna pasta bake, rice dishes, stuffed peppers, omelette, curries or slimming world chips with meat. And pop a third on of the veg he eats or make him a pudding or fruit to get the third supper free. Their is a lovely recipie for free banana ice cream which I'm trying today. Once he see's the meals he gets and realises he doesn't have to starve and it will help his health :) x

If the icecream has real banana and is pureed or mashed it will have syns just thought I'd let you know as I slipped up on this a bit back

cat yoyo greaves said:
If the icecream has real banana and is pureed or mashed it will have syns just thought I'd let you know as I slipped up on this a bit back

This confuses me.. why does it apply to fruit but not veg? Or does it ? ive made loads of soups!!

Charlie Woo Woo said:
This confuses me.. why does it apply to fruit but not veg? Or does it ? ive made loads of soups!!

Because on the whole fruit tends to be higher in calories and natural sugars than veg and it is much easier to overeat fruit when it is puréed or cooked. If you make soup there tends to be only so much you can have and traditionally that is a meal whereas if you were puréeing fruit or making smoothies/ice cream then it is considered a tweak ie not eating the fruit in the way it was intended. That's how it was explained to me. Hope that helps.

Ps applies to oranges (ie orange juice) but apparently not to lemons. But once again it is unlikely that you would drink freshly squeezed lemon juice in the same way as oranges and lemons normally have to be diluted with another liquid to make them palatable.

Because on the whole fruit tends to be higher in calories and natural sugars than veg and it is much easier to overeat fruit when it is puréed or cooked. If you make soup there tends to be only so much you can have and traditionally that is a meal whereas if you were puréeing fruit or making smoothies/ice cream then it is considered a tweak ie not eating the fruit in the way it was intended. That's how it was explained to me. Hope that helps.

Ps applies to oranges (ie orange juice) but apparently not to lemons. But once again it is unlikely that you would drink freshly squeezed lemon juice in the same way as oranges and lemons normally have to be diluted with another liquid to make them palatable.

I was also told that its something to do with how the sugars in fruit are broken down when you puree. Would be interested to know if there is a scientific reason behind it. I still think its mainly because with pureed or cooked fruit its easier to eat alot more in one go

peacelily said:

Ok thanks for explaining this. Ive think i eat way too much fruit a day anyway, ive been known to eat a whole pineapple, punnet of strawberries, bunch of bananas and 3 apples a day!

Charlie Woo Woo said:
Ok thanks for explaining this. Ive think i eat way too much fruit a day anyway, ive been known to eat a whole pineapple, punnet of strawberries, bunch of bananas and 3 apples a day!

That should settle down a bit too. I think I overdid the fruit just because I could but once you start listening to your appetite it should get better. Initially you should still lose but if you find your losses slowing or stalling then cutting back a little on the fruit or at least making sure you only have super speed will help. It's such a trial and error thing and you may be ok. Also some people find that too many bananas can be a real hindrance because even though we aren't counting calories, bananas, in relation to other fruits are quite high. However the way I see it is that if you eat 2 bananas rather than a bag of crisps it has to be better for you. So see how it goes and cut down if you need to.

peacelily said:
That should settle down a bit too. I think I overdid the fruit just because I could but once you start listening to your appetite it should get better. Initially you should still lose but if you find your losses slowing or stalling then cutting back a little on the fruit or at least making sure you only have super speed will help. It's such a trial and error thing and you may be ok. Also some people find that too many bananas can be a real hindrance because even though we aren't counting calories, bananas, in relation to other fruits are quite high. However the way I see it is that if you eat 2 bananas rather than a bag of crisps it has to be better for you. So see how it goes and cut down if you need to.

Def.... I know I ate more because I thought I could .. so would lol. I was eating my tea and feeling full but then eating my afters of fruit because I thought 'what the hell.. im allowed it'.

Charlie Woo Woo said:
Hi, ive been reading this thread and can I just say that it melts my heart that you lovely ladies love ypur Husbands so much that you are making changed to help them... even if they cant always see that. I think its very inspirational and I keep
lookong to see how you and your husbands are doing. You should be proud that you are perservering... please dont give up. You want your husbands healthy and around in 20 years so you should be very proud of yourselfs. Ive picked up some great tips on here aswell and ive been helping my boyfriend by cooking more for him and doing a bit of extra fruit when im preparing my snacks so he has something to munch on rather then reaching for the crisps when he's peckish.
Keep up the hard work ladies and i'm going to keep an eye on this story xxx

Thanks Charlie its not easy as I hate telling my Hubbie no but he's got the picture now. We walked to town and back yesterday and admittedly is 6 miles but I did ok and he was struggling and I think he realised that to be able to do that sort of thing he really needs to lose a bit. Thing is its not too much that needs to go :) x

Charlie Woo Woo said:

Fruit contains quite a bit of natural sugars and it is easier for your body to absorb them if cooked or pureed sugar = calories veggies are full of fiber and not much sugar so you will just be helping your body get more nutrients with veggies and they are lower calorie than fruit and have much less natural sugars. Hope that helps xxx

I've just come across this thread and it's great to see that there are so many of us who have partners in the same situation and it's good to see how they're being helped, I think you're doing really well Fiona to have shown your hubby a way forward and it's great to hear he has taken to the plan so well. I don't think you're treating him like a child at all and I look forward to hearing how this works out.

Hollys Nan I am in the same position as you, my boyfriend is in total denial about his weight and when his clothes become to small he says they've shrunk in the wash (strange when none of mine have!) He will eat tea with me which will be a slimming world meal but then he'll get a family size bag of crisps, cheese and crackers or chocolate etc and just eat them too. I wish there was a way to help him as he has health issues related to his size but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped so I will just wait until he is ready and then be there to help. I do find it very frustrating sometime as it's awful watching someone you care about eating themselves to an early grave.

I think the hardest part of slimming world is not sticking to plan as that is easy for me as there are so many choices but the lack of support from a partner and especially when they do things like buy a multi pack of your favorite chocolates and stick them in the front of the fridge so they're staring at you every time you open thr fridge door as things like that really test my will power haha :)

On the why is fruit synned when pureed/cooked etc I think it is to do with the composition of the food. When you eat is whole it takes more effort and time to eat and digest but when pureed it is digested quicker and you'd eat more as it's not as filling, for example with a banana you have to peel it and then each time you take a bite you then chew it before you swallow and then digest it so it takes a while to eat but if you puree or mash it it loses it bulk so you can eat it much quicker and it isn't as filling and I think most fruit etc looks smaller when not eaten whole so psychologically (sorry spelling not good!) you may not feel as full and eat more that you nomally would. But this is coming from me who can eat a whole punnet of rasbperries or cherries lol :)

StarGir1 said:
I've just come across this thread and it's great to see that there are so many of us who have partners in the same situation and it's good to see how they're being helped, I think you're doing really well Fiona to have shown your hubby a way forward and it's great to hear he has taken to the plan so well. I don't think you're treating him like a child at all and I look forward to hearing how this works out.

Hollys Nan I am in the same position as you, my boyfriend is in total denial about his weight and when his clothes become to small he says they've shrunk in the wash (strange when none of mine have!) He will eat tea with me which will be a slimming world meal but then he'll get a family size bag of crisps, cheese and crackers or chocolate etc and just eat them too. I wish there was a way to help him as he has health issues related to his size but you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped so I will just wait until he is ready and then be there to help. I do find it very frustrating sometime as it's awful watching someone you care about eating themselves to an early grave.

I think the hardest part of slimming world is not sticking to plan as that is easy for me as there are so many choices but the lack of support from a partner and especially when they do things like buy a multi pack of your favorite chocolates and stick them in the front of the fridge so they're staring at you every time you open thr fridge door as things like that really test my will power haha :)

Thanks very much he had an off day on Thursday cause he had a tub of warm peanuts thinking that it was healthier than a burger bless him he's trying so hard :) x

Aww it's great to hear how he is trying and after getting over the initial drama of thinking he would be starving it's working for you both now x

When I go visit my parents I do all the cooking as I love it ..... I got comments off my dad saying "you won't lose weight eating like that" ....he lost half a stone that week because I did all the cooking and was shocked :D

Back