Jane Austen

Janey

Intuitive Eater
I'm such a huge, huge Jane Austen fan - a regular visitor to her homes in Chawton and Bath, and the Jane Austen Centre in Bath. I've watched Pride & Prejudice and all the other fabulous dramas way too many times, I am just in love with her writing so much.

This month is beyond excitement for me! I am hoping to see the new film Becoming Jane tomorrow night about Jane's life and this month ITV1 are having a Jane Austen season with new versions of Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park and Persuasion.

I'm so excited I shall forget to eat (and that has to be a good thing!!). :D

I've also been getting the free books with the Express and so looking forward to seeing the film. Colin Firth gave me a love for jane Austen

Irene xx

i like jane austen too. i watched the entire pride and prejudice tv series on dvd the other week with a friend and it was so hilarious (and colin firth was fit!). a lot of it was filmed in lacock in wiltshire, near where i'm from.

there speaks a fan!
i grew up less then ten miles from there and when i go home it's one of my fave places to go, or take friends. could that village be anymore english?! it does help that the national trust virtually owns all of it!

Lacock really is so very quintessentially English, I love it! The abbey is gorgeous too especially if you are a Harry Potter fan! We first visited Lacock because we are National Trust members and when I realised it was "Meryton" I was over the moon!! :eek: If you take all the cars out of Lacock you go right back in time so it was perfect for Pride & Prejudice. I'm envious that you grew up only 10 miles away!! Didn't Camilla's daughter Laura get married in Lacock church last year? I think I was there a couple of weeks before, we went into the church but didn't realise at the time that it would be filled with royals a few weeks later.

yes, i went on a special tour of the abbey after the first harry potter was filmed there and i always look out for it on the films! i took my american friend there who is a massive potter fan when she came to visit me. she went mad!

i didn't realise camilla's daughter got hitched there but wouldn't be surprised as camilla's house is just a few jiles down the road from lacock. people often used to see her out riding there. was it the really old small church? st cyriac's? gorgeous building.

x

Yes, it was the very old church near to the river. Really beautiful inside. Charles, William and Harry were all there for the wedding - I think I saw the photos in Hello or somewhere like that! In particular there is a quaint old tea room which we always go to which takes you back in time which I especially love, I think Jane Austen fan would! I too look out for the scenes in Harry Potter - the one shown on Christmas Day was partially filmed at Lacock. A beautiful part of the world. I believe Tom Brown's Schooldays starring Stephen Fry had some filming done there (at the beginning if my memory recalls). :)

Becoming Jane

I saw the film Becoming Jane tonight about Jane Austen. A beautiful film but a lot of it wasn't true, or not as it was portrayed. Jane didn't attempt to elope and I doubt she ever even kissed Tom Lefroy either. But if you enjoy period dramas and equisite scenery and are happy to see the film as a film rather than a true account of the life of Jane Austen (albeit a short time in her life) then I highly recommend it.

Back