Japanese leaving lunch help with menu?

SageMacd

Hi Guys

My work collegues are taking me out for a little lunch on Wednesday 25th July to say farewell to me from my current post. I have attached the menu to the place we are going to for lunch. We will probably be having the lunch special 2 courses for £5.50 that have the little Japenese sign next to it. Do you have any advice on the best low carb Meal I could have? Sorry the Menu is a little fuzzy

Take-a-way - Sumo Menu

Thanks
Sage :)

I've just been reading my new Atkins book and it has a section on eating out, with a bit about Japanese restaurants. Basically it says no rice or noodles, and beware of things fried in batter. So that's no to tempura, sushi, gyoza (fried dumplings), also sukiyaki and teriyaki ( there is sugar in the sauce, it says).

Seriously, not an easy choice there, using just the flagged items. Miso soup or vegetable soup - and then, hmmm. Agedashi tofu?

Agree - japanese always a bit tricky as lots of sugar in sauces as well as obvious rice etc. i'm afraid that i think most of the main courses look pretty carby. I would normally say anywhere is possible but frankly maybe just have a planned treat and enjoy?:)

If trying then miso soup or i would risk the chicken teriaki (and dont lick any wxtra sauce) and then see if anything is more meat/fish on bed of white rice so can focus on the protein and just have a taste of rice (difficult to see from menu)

The large amounts of rice/noodles/sauces are added for Western tastes, I've heard. Usually there would be plenty of veg, both fresh and pickled, which are notably absent from that menu, also things like plain grilled fish...

They do eat a buttload of rice and noodles, that's not added just for our taste. I think they just eat less in general and also - rice and noodles are very filling. If you have a bowl of rice for breakfast you wont be snacking.

As far as I'm aware Japanese food is very high carb but they eat almost no sugar and no fat and the food contains a bucket load of veg per serving. The versions we get here have sugar sauces and less veg and fatty cuts of meat.
We all know You can't do high fat and high sugar and high carb!

And meal out? Is somewhere with a nice steak not on the cards? Either way enjoy

Back