Jazz's Jerky Journey to Thinner Peace

Aww hun don't get disheartened, you do however need to hide them scales as if you keep weighing yourself more than weekly it can totally throw you off your game. Don't give up you can do this, you're bound to have a few bumps in the road. Keep posting, maybe write a list of why you want to lose weight to keep you motivated. Take care
Superfree Queen ex princess, lol

Thanks SfP. No, I won't give up. :sigh: And, oh, I've written that motivational list about a 1000 times but in the heat of the moment, the things on it never seem to matter that much. I suppose it's a good thing that I don't hate myself for being fat and that my OH would love me no matter how big I was but sometimes, I almost wish the opposite. But you see, I know that my life won't be magically transformed if I get to a size 16 (I'd say size 10 but I know I won't get there :)). I'll still be me, just a thinner me. A me who might find it easier to run up stairs and walk a bit further, but me just the same.

When you're ill you're bound to feel off your game too. You've already come so far - you can do it! :) Have you worked it lal out/do you post on MFP?

I have, I do - but not over the last few days. I've eaten nothing but junk (way to make myself feel better huh? :rolleyes:) - rice cakes, rice cakes with chocolate on and crisps. I think maybe I should've cut out food groups more slowly! But I was so desperate to believe I might feel better. I don't. :( I feel worse. I'm not eating enough protein (there's only so many rice cakes a girl wants to eat) and I'm probably not eating enough fat. So I've decided that over the weekend (so that I can deal with any violent consequences!) I'm going to add cheese and maybe a little bit of milk back in. It might be a huge mistake but I won't know if I don't try unless I try. I'm quite fussy about food - as I've noticed many of us are :) - and just putting those things back will make quite a difference to my daily menus. There seem to be a lot of wheat free foods with milk in, so I've had to cut those things out, which has pretty much limited me to rice for breakfast, beans for lunch and something with rice for tea!

As I think I said on Helena's thread, the diet that works is the diet you can stick to. I don't think I can stick to the one I'm doing now - well, not without having a junk food meltdown most evenings and every time I have a tough day at work (most days!)

Here's hoping. I'll do a proper weigh in tomorrow morning and deal with the consequences, then have another bash at reining myself in with a slightly extended food list (hope that makes sense :))

Thanks for for being there xxxx

Morning - well, it was when I started writing this. :)

Well, as expected, I'm back to the weight I started at - 17st 1lbs. This is hardly a surprise - in fact, that weight might bob up higher before it comes down again, as a quick tot-up of what I ate yesterday came to 3,500 calories. :eek: Whoops.

So, errrrr, here's the line I'm drawing under all that:

:)

What have I learned from this latest attempt?

1) Nothing magical happens if you cut out food groups. I kind of knew it wouldn't, but I guess there was still this inner kid in me hoping for a miracle. If I'm honest (and boy, this is embarrassing to admit :eek:) I think that's why I was so gung-ho about cutting out the foods the test showed I was mildly intolerant to. I might well be intolerant but cutting out everything all at once wasn't really the way to find out for sure. It just left me very hungry. I know for sure that wheat and I don't get on, so that has to stay off the menu, but I don't know about dairy and eggs. I didn't feel noticeably better cutting them out (though it's hard to tell, given the cold I've had this week). So dairy is back on the menu. Nothing happened when I ate cheese (and a shed load of milk chocolate :ashamed0005: last night). Eggs will stay off the menu though. I've always wondered a bit about my reaction to those.

2) I need to raise calories again. I know 1700 calories is a lot by the "common wisdom" of dieting standards but the moment I got close to running out I felt like bingeing. That's what years of dieting does to you, I suppose. :sigh: So, I'm raising to 1,800 calories. MFP reckons I'll be lucky to lose half a pound a week on that, but as I've not lost anything in 2 weeks, half a pound a week would be stellar progress. :) And who knows, maybe it'll be more.

So. I feel a bit stupid right now, if I'm honest. It's like there are 2 me's - the one that wants to lose weight and the one that couldn't care less (or pretends to care less).

So. I feel a bit stupid right now, if I'm honest. It's like there are 2 me's - the one that wants to lose weight and the one that couldn't care less (or pretends to care less).

Hi Jazz,
Just popping on here to subsribe. Howerver this what you wrote right here, really hit home with me- I could write this exact same thing almost everyday! I think the key is pushing that other me down a flight of stairs or something, or locking them in a cellar until the other me (the wanting to lose weight me) is so far along their wonderful journey that they couldn't care less what the other me is thinking! We can do this- I'm sure of it! Onwards and downwards! x

Hi Jazz,
Just popping on here to subsribe. Howerver this what you wrote right here, really hit home with me- I could write this exact same thing almost everyday! I think the key is pushing that other me down a flight of stairs or something, or locking them in a cellar until the other me (the wanting to lose weight me) is so far along their wonderful journey that they couldn't care less what the other me is thinking! We can do this- I'm sure of it! Onwards and downwards! x

Aw, thanks Tracey. :) Yes, "other me" needs locking up as she forced me to eat chocolate again last night. That's my story and I'm sticking to it... ;) :sigh: :sigh2:

Right, enough already. I'm a grown up, not a 5-year old. I might want to throw a tantrum every time I have to say no to myself but I know better. I don't want to wake up with backache for the rest of my life and have no energy.

I'm cooking Sunday dinner later so that'll be a nice meal to look forward to. Just gotta keep my eyes on the bigger picture!

I hope it works for you raising love - especially if it stops you feeling quite so hungry at the end of the day.

It might be worth looking at what you eat - and what you like - and researching fuller-for-longer type foods - like maybe porridge? Or changing your current variety to something that would keep you fuller? :)

hi sweetheart
try having more fruit in love thats what i have stared doing no chocolate allowed now in our home x x

You can do it Jazz, forget the chocolate and focus on the Sunday roast- enjoy!

I did. It was yummy. :) Thanks hun x

I hope it works for you raising love - especially if it stops you feeling quite so hungry at the end of the day.

It might be worth looking at what you eat - and what you like - and researching fuller-for-longer type foods - like maybe porridge? Or changing your current variety to something that would keep you fuller? :)

I think it was the carb fest, well, rice fest that did it. Too many carbs playing havoc with my blood sugar. I ought to know better - I *do* know better! I seem to be intolerant to porridge and oats in general (definitely, actually - I had a jolly uncomfortable time until I figured that out. Pre rice cakes, I tried gluten free oat cakes and gluten free porridge with horrible consequences. Nuff said.

Anyway, partly influenced by something I read in the paper and previous attempts at intermittent fasting (yes, like most people here, I suspect, I've left few diet stones unturned! :)) I came up with a new plan on Sunday evening...

hi sweetheart
try having more fruit in love thats what i have stared doing no chocolate allowed now in our home x x

... LOL, you must've been reading my mind, or channeling me thoughts, or something! I've decided to eat fruit during the day - not loads, just a couple of servings, and have a main meal in the evening. And so far I've managed two successful days, both of which came out to around 1,400 calories each. Now that might prove to be too low calorie, but I'm not hungry - why stuff more in for the sake of it?

I can already see that I might get sick of the sight of fruit in a week or so, so I'm going to keep eating different sorts to keep it interesting as long as possible. I think I just need to get half a stone back off reasonably quickly so I can feel like I'm making some progress. If it's still working in a week or so, I'll keep going, if it isn't, I'll have a rethink. But fruit is easy to get hold of and I don't have to eat rice cakes (which believe me, gets very old very quickly!)

Day 3 tomorrow. I feel back in control again - long may it last! :clap:

Bless you :( It sucks enough having weight battles with food intolerances :(

Good luck love!

Oh cr@p, it's all gone t*ts up again. :(

It's official - if I was in any doubt, now I'm not. Wheat and me - not buddies. :cry: I've spent the last two days on an interviewing panel complete with overnight stay in a hotel, very full on, no breaks, so no time to get any "safe" food. I've never done it before, so didn't realise it would be like that - I'd have brought some Jazz-friendly snacks. Instead, I had Jaffa cakes (seemed a slightly better idea than the hobnobs we also had). By Thursday evening I was starting to feel rough and after my starter at dinner lost my appetite. Friday morning, even my boss (who was interviewing with me) noticed I was poorly - I couldn't eat much breakfast at the hotel either. And then, when I finally got home yesterday, my lovely OH had cooked a chicken stew. It was lovely but stayed down for all of 10 minutes. :cry:

I think I've felt a fraud until now - I've no official diagnosis of wheat intolerance, so haven't wanted to make a fuss in public, but it's become clear I need to. I seem to be ok with dairy but hardly dare reintroduce eggs - that might have to wait a while! Feel so run down and rubbish today. :(

So I didn't weigh today. I couldn't face seeing that I weighed the same despite being so poorly. :sigh:

I may have to make an appointment with my GP too. I can't quite shake the thought that maybe there's seriously wrong that has nothing to do with wheat. Although the last time I was poorly like that (in exactly the same way) was three months ago, and all I'd had that day was half a baguette with butter. So it seems likely.

I just want to cry. I so want to lose some weight (and it's kind of weird that I'm not losing weight, though I think it's probably a good sign I'm not?? Makes it more likely that it's intolerance, doesn't it? I've got no other symptoms.)

Sorry about the so-sorry-for-myself post. :( I'll try to cheer up a bit.

Oh sweetheart :( I'm sorry you're feeling so rough :( Like you say it does definitely make it more likely to be an intolerance than a bug - it's something you will definitely have to bring up to the doctor, you can't if/but/maybe that! :( lots and lots of hugs!

Completely agree with PSP, it does sound like an intolerance. Definitely get yourself to the Doctor hun, sending massive hugs in your direction. Chin up chick. xxx

Awww bless you sounds like your tying yourself up in knots perhaps step away from slimming for a few days until you have shifted this rotten cold and have a good read up on wheat intolerance friendly foods I know the supermarkets do loads now for wheat and gluten allergies so plenty of variety too, I think its probably going to be a case of planning your meals at least for a few days in advance so you always have a go to whether its a meal ready made in freezer or a tin you can reheat just to stop you reaching for the nasties that's causing you to feel crappy. Good luck love my hubby suffers badly with IBS we found the nhs sites so helpful reading up on foods to avoid etc and they have fab links to elsewhere too. Hope your feeling better soon x

Aw, thanks for stopping by all of you xxx

I think I'm finally on the mend after last weekend's poorliness. But I've changed tactics yet again. Calorie counting just wasn't working out too well for me and I feel it was making me make bad decisions food-wise. So, after a radical rethink, I've decided to restart SW. I've noticed lots of people around here are doing it and at long last, it feels like the right time to give it another shot. I can eat gluten free pasta, rice and potatoes, and there's the emphasis on Superfree fruit and veg which I think I need to keep me healthier. The only thing about it is that it requires more cooking from scratch, but my lovely OH is well-versed in cooking SW-friendly dinners for me (many years ago, she used to be a chef in the army, LOL, so she's a fantastic cook - only trouble is, she still cooks for a whole battalion - there's a reason I'm the size I am!). Lunch tends to be the tricky thing - I just need to get into the habit of putting dinner leftovers into a Tupperware every evening or cooking up some pasta salad. Organisation is the key, right?

Still really tired though and I didn't sleep well last night - couldn't switch my brain off after a stressful day at work. Never mind, onwards and downwards... :)

One good thing - ish - from being ill. I dropped back down to 16st 13lbs again. :)

Glad to hear it hun - hope it stays that way. Batch cooking can be very handy - as long as you portion it :) x

Hi Jazz,

Here to catch up and subscribe.

Try gluten free products and see if it's the gluten not wheat that's the issue.
Most wheat is GMO and the gluten content in it has increased exponentially over the last few decades. It is believed that thus increase in gluten has led to the increase in intolerances. The wheat people are sensitive to today -- isn't the same as the wheat our grandparents grew and consumed.

If you don't think it's gluten -- then, the next time you feel well-enough to "test" your wheat intolerance - try organic products.

i have stacks of "Clean Eating" magazines. I'm going to work towards getting my family on a cleaner path - i know we felt better when we ate better. And, good food nourishes you, so you are less likely to binge.

Good luck.

Just a really quick post to say I've lost 5lbs doing SW this week. :)

Glad to hear it hun - hope it stays that way. Batch cooking can be very handy - as long as you portion it :) x

I'm not organised enough to do batch cooking. :8855: Sometimes I wonder how I get organised enough to get out of bed in the morning. I'm so hoping that when I finally lose some weight I'll have more energy - cos I think that's the problem. I only have enough get up and go to do the things I really have to do. I can dream...

Hi Jazz,

Here to catch up and subscribe.

Try gluten free products and see if it's the gluten not wheat that's the issue.
Most wheat is GMO and the gluten content in it has increased exponentially over the last few decades. It is believed that thus increase in gluten has led to the increase in intolerances. The wheat people are sensitive to today -- isn't the same as the wheat our grandparents grew and consumed.

If you don't think it's gluten -- then, the next time you feel well-enough to "test" your wheat intolerance - try organic products.

i have stacks of "Clean Eating" magazines. I'm going to work towards getting my family on a cleaner path - i know we felt better when we ate better. And, good food nourishes you, so you are less likely to binge.

Good luck.

Mel!! You found me. Lovely to see you here :hug99: Thanks for the pm. Just a quick catch up for you - yes, DS is still with girlfriend, though only just, I think. He sees her about once a fortnight - no kidding. Naturally she's less than happy about the situation but she's been poorly and doesn't have the fight in her, I think. She's finally been diagnosed with some problem with the lining of her oesaphagus which is exacerbated by food intolerance. So she's finally realised I was right all along and has stopped eating wheat and dairy. We can now speak fluent "free from aisle". :D Hopefully she's on the mend though is now a UK size 4. :eek:

DS, well. He's jobless and often hopeless. Not sure what the hell we're going to do with him. So far he's had no interviews. If I'd have realised it would be like this I think I'd have pushed him through clearing (he got 320 UCAS points in the end. As it is, he needs a pep talk to even get dressed most days. :sigh:

I think it's likely to be wheat and certain other grains, not gluten. I had a bad reaction to gluten free oats a few weeks back. But I've managed to reintroduce dairy without issues. Need to retry eggs in a week or three - if I'm ok with those it'll widen out the range of foods I can eat. So many wheat free breads for example have egg in as a binder.

Anyway, enough waffling. Going to see Interstellar later - here's hoping it lives up to all the hype! Will report back later. :)

Last edited:
Afternoon!

Just a really quick post to say I've lost 5lbs doing SW this week. :) I'm not organised enough to do batch cooking. :8855: Sometimes I wonder how I get organised enough to get out of bed in the morning. I'm so hoping that when I finally lose some weight I'll have more energy - cos I think that's the problem. I only have enough get up and go to do the things I really have to do. I can dream... Mel!! You found me. Lovely to see you here :hug99: Thanks for the pm. Just a quick catch up for you - yes, DS is still with girlfriend, though only just, I think. He sees her about once a fortnight - no kidding. Naturally she's less than happy about the situation but she's been poorly and doesn't have the fight in her, I think. She's finally been diagnosed with some problem with the lining of her oesaphagus which is exacerbated by food intolerance. So she's finally realised I was right all along and has stopped eating wheat and dairy. We can now speak fluent "free from aisle". :D Hopefully she's on the mend though is now a UK size 4. :eek: DS, well. He's jobless and often hopeless. Not sure what the hell we're going to do with him. So far he's had no interviews. If I'd have realised it would be like this I think I'd have pushed him through clearing (he got 320 UCAS points in the end. As it is, he needs a pep talk to even get dressed most days. :sigh: I think it's likely to be wheat and certain other grains, not gluten. I had a bad reaction to gluten free oats a few weeks back. But I've managed to reintroduce dairy without issues. Need to retry eggs in a week or three - if I'm ok with those it'll widen out the range of foods I can eat. So many wheat free breads for example have egg in as a binder. Anyway, enough waffling. Going to see Interstellar later - here's hoping it lives up to all the hype! Will report back later. :)

Congrats on the loss!! That's a fab loss. :D

Can you "encourage" DS to start a course ASAP?

"Interseller" is on our to see list, too. Enjoy!

Back