Jennifer's 2014 Gi Diet Diary

Jen-Cheng

Hey everyone,

I have been on these forums since September 2013 losing weight through calorie counting and have lost roughly 30lbs so far. For 2014 I wanted to try to steer my weight loss to be more healthier incorporating more fruit and veg and wholefoods and because of this I have chosen to follow Rick Gallop's Gi Diet (this book here: +gi+diet+rick+gallop ).

I have 3st/42lbs to lose to get to my target weight of 10stone. I am aiming to have got there by the end of June my partners birthday and the beginning of summer :cool:

As well as following the Gi diet I also want to build more muscle to help burn those unwanted lbs, and will also follow this book: +by+you exercising three times a week.

So my first weigh in will be on the 1st January and I will drop by and report my official starting weight! I'm looking forward to getting started :)

Date
Weight
1st January 2014
13:00
8th January 2014
12:11
15th January 2014
12:08
22nd January 2014
12:05
29th January 2014
12:05 (stayed the same)

Last edited:
Good luck Jen - keep letting us know how yours getting on. Gi should make you feel great and give you lots of energy :) x

Hey Xena, thanks for the encouragement and I Hope so!

So had my first day yesterday and I think it went really well. Stuck to plan 100% and did my first set of workouts :) I spent a lot of the day thinking about when/what to eat and planning things out which will hopefully get lesser with time/confidence. This morning I have my lunch and snacks packed so all I have to think about at work is Dinner hopefully meaning I spend less of my time thinking about food and planning meals xD!

I had my weigh in and I am bang on 13 stone which is what I was hoping for :) 3 stone to lose then!

Oddly, from about 1pm till about 3pm I started developing mild headaches and drowsiness, my cheeks turned red and got really hot and I nearly dozed off! Perhaps it is some sort of withdrawals from sugar/processed foods. After 3 I felt fine again... :confused: I will have to keep an eye on that.

Anyways, looking forward to another day on plan! :)

Thanks for the encouragement Emmaline, glad to see you again, how's your journey going?

Just checking in again with a few things I have noticed four days into the Gi Diet plan.
  • I am really enjoying cooking again, the last time I properly cooked from scratch was probably when I was at school.. nearly five years now and it is quite amazing how simple some good tasting food is to make. For example, just yesterday I made a pasta sauce using only chopped tomato's, mushrooms and onion and it was fab! I am starting to worry about how many different dishes I can come up with and have ordered a cookbook by Rick Gallop to try and help me steer away from the dreaded repetitive menu.
  • [TMI (Too Much Information) Warning!] I am more regular with trips to the bathroom shall we say. I used to go just once a day in the morning and not much. Now it is twice a day and more. Tried to word that best I could!
  • I feel a lot less bloated and lighter. Drinking a lot less diet coke then I did, I got a 2l decaff bottle to last me the month and have only drunk a half pint so far. That, along with the less stodgy food I think is contributing to this.
  • More energy in general, eating often is keeping me full and I have not had the tired sensations that I experienced in the first day hooray! I do believe this was some sort of sugar/processed foods addiction which has since passed.
  • I feel more attractive and confident and in some ways more feminine. I only recently bought a dress and hair care/beauty products which I would never have done when I was bigger, I feel a lot more confident in myself and my low self esteem and sex drive has been more active. For me at least I think my confidence has been linked to what I'm eating for a long time, over Christmas I didn't track and just felt so so low and unhappy with myself until I got back on plan again. I guess its like caring for yourself in that sense and if I don't care for myself I don't feel good? not sure really.
  • I don't feel tempted by "banned" foods. I can tell you that we have had a lovely assortment tin of Christmas biscuits and packets of shortbread in our bedroom since the plan started. Temptation has always been there. I haven't even really thought about eating them however and am weirdly starting to prefer fruit over that sort of thing. I'm not sure when I will try those sort of products again (not fussed honestly which is a weird sensation!) but it will be interesting to see how I react given my changing palette.

Hopefully the above might prove helpful for others considering the Gi Diet plan. I will drop by again with an update on weigh in day which for me is the 8th Jan.

Hi I'm new to this forum and about to start on the Low G.I. Diet by Rick Gallop also. So I shall be watching your posts to follow your progress. Sounds like you have done very well so far! Keep up the good work. I can only hope to do the same!

Hi Cate welcome to the forums! :) Thanks for the encouragement I'm sure you'll be fine! If I can do it, never having shopped for myself for food before or really cooking for five years you will probably do fine!

Are you going to be making a diary as well? Let me know so I can subscribe!

All the very best!

Hi Jen I am going to buy a journal today for tracking all the food I eat so if I don't have the results I am hoping for I can look back to see why. I never thought of making myself a diary thread but I will give that some thought! Maybe we can post any really good recipes we find so we can share?

I have 2 cruises coming up. One is booked for end of April 2014 and one is just in the planning stages with friends for hopefully January 2015. So it sure would be nice to feel better about myself and not be embarrassed putting on a bathing suit! That and getting healthier are my goals. I have joined a gym but I guess I haven't been as often as I need to be, or need to work harder when I am there. I don't really enjoy the gym but find it a necessary evil. Wish there was something else I could do that I really enjoyed.

Best to you also!

Sounds like a good plan! I currently use a 99p store diary to do the same thing and to try and make sure I eat the three snacks and three meals consistently.

Lucky you with the cruises and I can't wait to try on a bathing suit this summer! (weird to hear myself say that) all things having gone to plan of course :fingerscrossed:!

Not the most clever in the kitchen but when the cookbook comes I'll let you know if i'd recommend any of the recipes I try :)

Best of luck on your first day tomorrow! let me know how you get on!

Hello again,

All important first weigh in this morning and I'm proud to say I have lost 3lbs in my first week on plan :flirt2:

Definitely starting to need new work trousers! they are getting to the point of needing to be pulled up every 5 seconds. Its a nice feeling though, as they were originally too tight for me and I was thinking I would need a size up! 4 months later it is very much the opposite :D

Going forwards my goals for this week are to try and drink more water, making sure to take a glass in before each meal. (like I'm supposed to! :ashamed0005: ) Also, trying to limit the chocolate intake, as I have been having a sachet of light hot chocolate every day as a snack for most of the week, instead I need to swap that for something more nutritious and stick to having a small dark chocolate bar every Tuesday night.

Also, the cookbook has come in the mail and my partner has said he is excited about supporting me by cooking me dinner when he can. So more varied and exciting meals to look forward to for the coming week.

Hey Jen! Excellent first week!!! 3 lbs!! I can only hope to do as well.
What was the name of the cookbook you bought? Was it the G.I. Diet Cookbook by Rick Gallop? That is one I do not have. The 4 books by him that I do have, 3 of them have recipes and I've tried a few so far. And so far, SO GOOD! It is great that your partner is going to cook for you from time to time! That really helps and it'll give you more time for whatever. Nice!
I haven't been back to the gym since before Christmas and about 5 days ago caught the cold my family has. I am planning to go back to the gym by Monday. Maybe I'll be even more motivated if I have some weight loss.
I liked that you spoke about trying to get more water in. That is a big downfall for me. I seem to be rarely thirsty and don't like drinking just for the sake of it. I will have to work on that and maybe sort of 'chugging' a glass down before each meal would be a doubly good idea. Won't want to eat as much and get some of the water requirements into me! Glad you mentioned it!!

Hi Cate,

Sorry for taking so long to write back! It has been such a busy week for me. I'm sure you will lose as much as me if not more, are you going at it cold turkey or from being on another diet? You usually lose a lot just from water retention if you haven't been on a diet previously.

The book I bought was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0753511800/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I am SO greatful he is cooking for me.. I'd be the first to admit I get lazy at dinner when I just want to EAT.. thus the creative delight of veg on toast the other day :p

Good on you for going to the gym! I have looked at going but the local ones around here I cant afford right now. David Lloyds for example soo expensive! When I get to the end of the journey (and hopefully get over my fear that everyone is judging me) I will probably reinvestigate.

I have to admit, still not sticking to the water thing but I am trying harder. Even when super thirsty I struggle to finish a pint of water without feeling like my belly is a waterbed!

That looks like a good book. Lots of recipes! About the gym, I am definitely self-conscious going there and would prefer to wait til I have lost some weight but maybe it will help. I haven't seen results from going yet and maybe if I do it will make me want to go. Right now it is a big chore to go to the gym. The hubby and I are thinking of playing squash which can be quite an active game. That will be fun, much more so than working out at the gym!

Squash definitely sounds like fun :) and a good chance for you two to spend some quality time together.

Reporting in a weight loss of 3lbs this week which I am pretty chuffed with :) I even managed to stick to plan when faced with a tempting buffet yesterday lunchtime.

Awesome job Jen! Way to go avoiding the buffet feast too! You are stronger than I am. Gotta get back to it. TOMORROW! (yelling at myself ha ha lol)

Thanks Cate, sorry to hear you are not finding it so easy :) Hope you managed to jump back on plan since the last post.

Just reporting in to say another loss of 3lbs! Which makes 9lbs lost in 3 weeks. On one hand really happy but on the other hand worried that it is so much in a little span of time.. Hopefully it will slow down as my body adjusts :)

This takes my weight to 12st 5lb which means I have lost 3 stone since starting dieting in general in Sep!

So I've gone off the rails a little bit recently with my eating. There is a lot of stress at work with me changing position, bereavement of a close relative, uni work, isolation all weighing me down. I actually took some time to write everything that was causing me to be stressed and it was 11 bullet points long! :(

So this stress has lead me to be knackered, which led to me laying in in the mornings and having to buy store bought lunches. A particular favourite became the falafel and houmous wrap by Tescos. That wrap with the mango chutney (and however many tablespoons of sugar). I can definitely say that sugar is addictive, it caused me to be so slumped by mid afternoon and led me to consume more and more sugary things until I caught myself eating a whole bag of mini eggs, hot chocolate, chocolate flapjack, crisps, cakes oh and a roll of rolos in a day. :break_diet:

Oh yeah, when I throw a pity party for myself I'm not stingy on the food.

The good news is I am so over feeling down. The problems are still there of course but I am working on taking steps to get rid or face them. I started today and haven't been perfect (Monthly free work mcflurry says hi) but way better than recently. My food shop is coming tomorrow bringing with it way more options especially if I'm feeling lazy, and communication has been key for me. I was in tears Wednesday night and showing my partner the list helped him to understand the pressure and stress I am under and he recognised how tough I was and how well I hide things. For me that's a compliment, but realistically not healthy for me in the amounts I'm feeling.

I have stayed the same on Weds by some miracle and hope to stay the same/ lose 1lb by next week. Just gotta get focused.

Whilst on the subject of getting re-focused here is the weigh in day table for February:

DateWeight
5th February 201412:04
12th February 2014
19th February 2014
26th February 2014

Hoping to be 11:13 on the 26th February so I can be in 11's for my 21st birthday (1st March) :)

Last edited:
Hi Emmaline,

Thanks for the encouragement :) Glad to report that by some miracle I managed to lose a 1lb before my first weigh in of Feb.

And just had another cheeky weigh in now and I'm sat at 12 stone exactly
:D

Back