Job Hunting

How about totaljobs also register with local recruitment agencies;)

Hey hun! I am sorry to hear this! I do quite a bit of recruitment and would say believe in yourself, there are plenty of jobs out there :)
I would be careful of applying to too many agencies as your cv appears on desks too many times which is the best impression.
Write a main master cv and pull parts from it to suit the job you are applying for :)
If you have not been for interviews for a while then prepare as much as you can - practice questions, have plenty of examples ready.
What type of work are you looking for and what area?

I have done accounts, procurement, customer service, reception but mostly admin so am looking for the same kind of thing

I don't really want anything special just something so I can pay my bills and hopefully save a little and have some money to live off.

Its hard as there are not lots of jobs and so many people going for each one.

Luckily, or maybe not, i was made redundant from my last job so I had professional help with my CV so at least i know that is strong

I am looking around Derby mostly but also Burton and maybe Nottingham and the places between those two cities

Reed online is great - make sure you make your cv searchable though, I got two interviews from people randomly finding my CV and calling me. If you have a strong cv that will get you a lot of interest. I was looking for work in a similar location and tbh I got my best results via Reed and my eventual job via them too. Good luck! x

Thanks hun. I am so pleased to hear that site worked out for you esp in a similar area as it makes me feel hopeful.

If you don't mind me asking, did you manage to get a permanent job? I noticed there were lots of temp jobs but would love permanent for stability x

Yes, it was through an agency but permanent and it's going well at the mo :) x

Hey - do you have a linked n profile? A lot of recruiters / employers use this now x

That's really good to hear then Missy and I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks for your tips Sculls, I am sorry I seemed to miss your message yesterday which was brilliant and so helpful! I am pleased to hear some really positive news about jobs and that they are out there.

I did have quite a lot of interviews after my redundancy last year, the feedback was pretty much all positive, I just kept getting pipped to the post by one other person which was so frustrating. I have never used linked in as I was worried that my current employers would see my profile. I know that sounds silly as they'll not be around long but they're a funny bunch and the person before me in this role was found to have a linked in profile and had a disciplinary about it, I also know they won't give me a reference as they have a policy not to give references and when I hand my notice in they'll take it personally so they'd only say bad things because they will be angry as that's what they're like and part of why I want out asap x

I can sympathise - I had so many interviews when I was unemployed, always lost out right at the end having usually got to second interview stage. Nothing worse than 'nearly but not quite'!

It worked out for me in the end and I'm sure it'll work out for you - just keep at it and apply for everything that looks likely! xxx

That's really good to hear then Missy and I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks for your tips Sculls, I am sorry I seemed to miss your message yesterday which was brilliant and so helpful! I am pleased to hear some really positive news about jobs and that they are out there.

I did have quite a lot of interviews after my redundancy last year, the feedback was pretty much all positive, I just kept getting pipped to the post by one other person which was so frustrating. I have never used linked in as I was worried that my current employers would see my profile. I know that sounds silly as they'll not be around long but they're a funny bunch and the person before me in this role was found to have a linked in profile and had a disciplinary about it, I also know they won't give me a reference as they have a policy not to give references and when I hand my notice in they'll take it personally so they'd only say bad things because they will be angry as that's what they're like and part of why I want out asap x

Wow I cannot believe they got away with disciplining someone for using linked in?? That's madness! They have to give you a reference even if it is to confirm your job title, start and finish dates and salary. They are not obliged to declare anything else and can't write anything bad unless they have disciplinary action to back it up. Sounds like a tough environment Hun and a positive move for you!? There is work out there xx

Wow I cannot believe they got away with disciplining someone for using linked in?? That's madness! They have to give you a reference even if it is to confirm your job title, start and finish dates and salary. They are not obliged to declare anything else and can't write anything bad unless they have disciplinary action to back it up. Sounds like a tough environment Hun and a positive move for you!? There is work out there xx

You can't be disciplined for having a linked in profile. You can only be disciplined for accessing social networking on your work computer - PROVIDING you have signed a disclaimer when you were first employed in which it stated that use of work resources for personal use was not allowed.

No wonder the company are in trouble. They are
Lucky they don't have an employment tribunal to worry about as well.

Get yourself a linked in profile ASAP Stargirl.
Every job I've got in 6 years has been someone approaching me through this x

Back