Jogging/Running/Walking

BubblyPenguin

Recovering Foodaholic
Anyone do any of these? I've been desperate to do so for ages but I've carried far too much weight on my joints! Now that I'm 3 stone lighter I'd really like to start so I'm interested in people's experiences-

How/When did you start?
Did you join a running club or get a running buddy?

I managed 2 mins my first try the other night.........I was puffed out !
Then I power walked ! I think there is a good site that helps you learnt o run, I will have a look for it.
My friend started doing 2 mins then a min walk inbetween and now runs 4 miles 3 times per week (that's after increasing time over 4 months). I would love to be able to do it as it's so good for helping with weight loss!

This is really good for beginners.
Cool Running :: The Couch-to-5K Running Plan

I love running. I started doing it this year as it was free and doable. I've completed a few road races with 10k being the most I've run.

I've just bought a treadmill and I've worked out a plan for myself.
I'm going to start running 2 miles on the treadmill at least 4 times a week. I'm going to record the times, speed and distance every time I run.
Then every month I'm going to increase the distance by 1 mile. By the end of each month I should be able to complete the distance I'm at for that month in a good time.
So after a year I should be able to run at least 13miles. That's half a marathon! My brother is running the NY marathon this year and regularly runs 15+ miles. He started from not much last year too. I'm so inspired by him and hope to run the marathon with him in a year or two.

My advice would be:
1. Get a good pair or runners. These are invaluable. I find asics best.
2. Get an ipod and put a 'running' playlist on it. Really makes a difference at times.
3. Use a site like http://www.mapmyrun.com/ to get an idea of your distances if you're running outside.
4. Keep a track of your time and distance every run. You can get your speed from this. It helps to see the progress you're doing.
5. Stretch! Warm up and down correctly. helps so much with muscles.
6. Just run! Do what you can to start and you'll increase it over time.

Have fun! You'll have really good legs after a while.

Completely agree with coconut. Get proper running shoes. You need to get fitted a proper running shop - don't just buy some because they look pretty. You'd be amazed how many people get injured because they have the wrong shoes.

halhigdon.com also has some great plans.

Remember to stretch afterwards and take it slooooooooooooowly. www.runnersworld.co.uk is also pretty good.

I actually love running without any music. Just a great time to zone out and let my thoughts wander. Also, I don't feel very safe running with music.

I do some power walkings now and then, usually with different friends. It is the best I think, great exercise and social too :D. I want to start running again eventually, but don't dare do it just yet. Had some knee problem before, and don't want to start too soon. And I wouldn't have the energy just now either. Good luck!

Woohoo, just did it! I've followed Laura Croft's link and started with day 1, although I didn't the whole ten times, more like 5 as I had the dog with me who kept stopping, and I didn't have a stopwatch so I made my running last for longer! I had half a shake about 10 minutes b4 hand- last time I did this and didn't have one I felt dizzy, but this worked a treat! Feeling really good now and supping lots of water (not energy drink suggested in the program!) Probably did about 20 minutes altogether so I'm very pleased AND my legs feel fab- no calf muscles tightening up, I feel nice and loose and nimble lol.

OK rambling a bit, just a wee bit excited hehe x

Well done Bubbly Penguin. Running is very addictive!

I'm working on heart rate training at the moment. Bit complicated to explain here but really good for the long distance stuff. If I keep my heart rate within a particular zone (very low) I burn more fat. If I go to high, then my body goes after the gylcogen. Now being in ketosis, I know I don't have a lot of glycogen so if I run too hard, I feel hungry afterwards but if I keep my heart rate low, I feel great. I was amazed how true it was for me - though no doubt in my head too ;)

Ooh that's makes so much sense- I know that you burn fat at a lower heartrate from back in my gym days lol- When I'm up and running, excuse the pun, I'd be interested to know how that works^^

I can think of nothing worse than jogging and running! really girls do you enjoy it?! I walk a lot (I have a jack russel) everyday. I just don't understand wanting to run. I think we are cut from different cloths! ;)

!t is great to hear everyones running stories, experiences, advice and views. For a couple of years I ran on a regular basis after losing 4stones. I was not fast but I really built up my endurance and I loved feeling really strong and the feeling you get when you have a particularly good session. I always thought running would stay a part of my life but somehow it got pushed to the side as work and family life took over...I gained weight then I felt too big and it was uncomfortable. I am planning to get back to it now, when I go up to the 1000 and 1500 plans. Yep, get good shoes and a good sports bra!!!

Back