Joined the gym...best exercises???

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by karenhornby, 28 February 2011 Social URL.

1. karenhornby

karenhornby Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(1.74%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Well I took the first step last night and signed up for the gym.

I really need to get my a**e in gear and decided this was the best way. I used to enjoy the gym so it can't do any harm, but my question is what are the best fat burning exercises to do?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Clara lou

Clara lou Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st11lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(5.63%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Well done!
    I asked one of the gym staff to set me a routine. I told her what areas i wanted to target and she wrote a plan.
    It really helped me

4. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    At any decent gym you should get an induction and they will help you put together a programme based on what you are wanting to achieve. But you will need to do a combination of cardiovascular exercise to burn the calories eg treadmill, bikes, cross trainer, and weight training for toning.

5. Hannahkw1

Hannahkw1 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st3.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10.5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st13lb(12.65%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Obviously it depends on a lot of factors, such as how often you will be going to the gym and for how long each gym session will be. Ill list my workouts below:
    Monday - training - 20 mins cross trainer (low-moderate intensity), 20 mins strength training shoulders and triceps, 20 mins treadmill (low-moderate intensity)
    Tuesday - cardio only - 10 mins cross trainer, 10 mins stepper, 5 mins rower, 5 mins bike, 10 mins treadmill (high intensity)
    Wednesday - training - 20 mins cross trainer (low-moderate intensity), 20 mins strength training lower body, 20 mins treadmill (low-moderate intensity)
    Thursday - cardio only - 10 mins cross trainer, 10 mins stepper, 5 mins rower, 5 mins bike, 10 mins treadmill (high intensity)
    Friday - training - 20 mins cross trainer (low-moderate intensity), 20 mins strength training biceps, chest and back, 20 mins treadmill (low-moderate intensity)

Rest Sat and Sun.

If you would like further info on exercises etc just let me know - I do around 3 exercises per body part.
    :D

6. sugar_lipswales

sugar_lipswales Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've been putting together my own programmes for years now, I've had loads of trainers put some together for me and I just pick and choose the best bits. I usually start with some cardio (whatever machine I fancy) then some weights (Arms one day, legs the next and then core on the third day) then some more cardio before a cool down. Change your programme every 4 - 6 weeks so that you don't get bored and your body doesn't get used to it and keep your body guessing, mix it up!
    Joining a gym was the best thing I ever did and I just couldn't be without one now!

7. karenhornby

karenhornby Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    16st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st8lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(1.74%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks. To start with I'll be going 3 times a week for about 45 mins each time.

I've been in today for a look round so I know where everything is. There is about 2 weeks wait for an induction at the times I can get there so I'll just see how u go for now. I know how to use the machines I just need to find the right program for me

8. Snugglepuss

Snugglepuss Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(6.48%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ive just started a program, well i'm 4 weeks in.....

I'm not the fitest of people and he told me to do 2 days cardio and 1 day cardio and weights. I also do Zumba 1 day a week.

Today i have done 20 mins on the treadmil walking for 1 minute running for 1 minute ( gonna start on 2 minutes running 1 minute walking next week). I then do the X-trainer for 20 minutes and then 1000 meters on the rower.

When i do my weights i do several different ones that are to tone the areas i want to change so specific to me.

You'll do it, the hardest part for me is getting there!! :)

9. JemmaBe

JemmaBe Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Cardio is king. Sustained for as long as possible at a high intensity.
    (I completely agree with HIIT, but argue its just not possible in the gym, and is best used as a tool to increase stamina needed for prolonged cardio, as well as building short muscle which can benefit long muscle)
    Followed by free weights.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.