Jonsgirl's Atkins daily blah blah

Thanks busy xx

Well I've had a bit of a lazy day today - I need to claim some time back from work so I didn't get up until 9.30am. Had one visit today which was very brief so I went and decided to do a bit of shopping before walking down to pick the boy up from school.

As I was in town I ended up in Aldi where I bought some flax meal ( thanks meg!) some cooked meats and found some nice sausages I've not seem before called Nuremberg sausages. They are thin like chipolatas but only 1g carb for 4 sausages and they look yummy. Also noticed they have started selling soya milk too - or maybe i just havent noticed before as i've only just started drinking it! Love Aldi for low carb goodies.

Tomorrow is going to be a challenge as I have a team meeting - that involves getting up at a rediculous hour to catch a train and not getting home until fairly late. Also lunch will be provided which means carby stuff like sandwiches and crisps as well as the obligatory cake. I really really don't want to eat it but it's hard when it's placed in front of you and there is no alternative. I am going to try to be strong so I'll probably end up picking the middles out of loads of sandwiches and mainlining water to fill me up and flush out any hidden naughtiness.

todays menu is:

b: black coffee with one sweetner.
l: toasted mim sliced into four with butter, prawn mayonnaise and turkey.
d: piri piri chicken, egg wraps, celeriac chips. Sf jelly and cream.

I am now looking forward to experimenting with flax!! Norm the cost of the stuff would put me off x food looks yummy, I used to remember the medical reps coming into work!! Sandwiches and donuts galore x take some goodies with you x

I know meg - why is everything always based around bread :-(

i will manage to avoid the sandwiches i think but we've got someone leaving so there will probably be cake and I'd feel really rude to decline someone's leaving cake. I might just take a piece, mash it up and push it round the plate so it looks like I've eaten some lol.

flax is seriously the best thing ever. I love my daily mim now - it's nice to have a sandwich or some toast x

Today has been a very very long day.

Managed much better food wise than I thought I would. I made up a banana protein powder shake with some soya milk for my breakfast (tasted much better than expected) and then had a leftover Atkins bar (bleurgh!) and a can of cherry coke zero on the train to fill my tummy so I wouldn't be hungry.

As predicted there was loads of sandwiches, crisps and buns at the meeting - it was all from m and s and I LOVE their food normally. I took one chicken mayo sandwich (ie one triangle - half a slice of bread) and managed to make that last me half an hour by wandering round a lot and talking to people while I was eating.

Then came the cake which could not be avoided - it was placed in front of me and everyone was looking :-( I had the smallest slither I could manage and ate about half. Followed by a litre of water.

after the meeting I went back to the train station, I had an 3/4 hour until my train so I went to m and s to kill time and for some more water. Usually I can't resist m and s food and started to browse all of the cakes and pastry with the full intention of buying something (see how quick the carb lust kicks in again) after looking for five minutes I came to a strange conclusion - I didn't actually fancy anything there - not the sausage rolls, not the chocolate mini rolls, not the Jaffa cakes or the sweets - I didn't want any of it! ( I would normally have bought all - I have been known to spend £25 on crap in m and s before boarding a train and eat it all in the space of an hour on the way home :-O!)

I realised that eating it would give me that bloated full uncomfortable feeling straight away and I didn't want to feel like that. In fact the thought of it turned my stomach - what the heck is happening to me???
I left m and s with a litre bottle of water, a packet of sugar free chewing gum and a smug grin!
I felt so pleased with myself.

But since I have got home I have felt very low - I have no idea why? I can't work out whether its because I've slipped by having that little bit of cake (although it could have been much worse) when I have been doing so well or whether the carbs themselves have had some kind of impact on my system - I've suffered depression for years which I believe in part was linked to my diet. I don't usually beat myself up when I have a slip because I firmly believe that life happens and if this woe is for life carbs will be unavoidable at some point. So why do I feel so rubbish?????!!!

At the moment I'm sat here mainlining water to try to minimise the damage - straight back onto clean and green in the morning in a bid to salvage what is left of the week and not have a disaster on the scales come Saturday.

Today has been a very very long day.

Managed much better food wise than I thought I would. I made up a banana protein powder shake with some soya milk for my breakfast (tasted much better than expected) and then had a leftover Atkins bar (bleurgh!) and a can of cherry coke zero on the train to fill my tummy so I wouldn't be hungry.

As predicted there was loads of sandwiches, crisps and buns at the meeting - it was all from m and s and I LOVE their food normally. I took one chicken mayo sandwich (ie one triangle - half a slice of bread) and managed to make that last me half an hour by wandering round a lot and talking to people while I was eating.

Then came the cake which could not be avoided - it was placed in front of me and everyone was looking :-( I had the smallest slither I could manage and ate about half. Followed by a litre of water.

after the meeting I went back to the train station, I had an 3/4 hour until my train so I went to m and s to kill time and for some more water. Usually I can't resist m and s food and started to browse all of the cakes and pastry with the full intention of buying something (see how quick the carb lust kicks in again) after looking for five minutes I came to a strange conclusion - I didn't actually fancy anything there - not the sausage rolls, not the chocolate mini rolls, not the Jaffa cakes or the sweets - I didn't want any of it! ( I would normally have bought all - I have been known to spend £25 on crap in m and s before boarding a train and eat it all in the space of an hour on the way home :-O!)

I realised that eating it would give me that bloated full uncomfortable feeling straight away and I didn't want to feel like that. In fact the thought of it turned my stomach - what the heck is happening to me???
I left m and s with a litre bottle of water, a packet of sugar free chewing gum and a smug grin!
I felt so pleased with myself.

But since I have got home I have felt very low - I have no idea why? I can't work out whether its because I've slipped by having that little bit of cake (although it could have been much worse) when I have been doing so well or whether the carbs themselves have had some kind of impact on my system - I've suffered depression for years which I believe in part was linked to my diet. I don't usually beat myself up when I have a slip because I firmly believe that life happens and if this woe is for life carbs will be unavoidable at some point. So why do I feel so rubbish?????!!!

At the moment I'm sat here mainlining water to try to minimise the damage - straight back onto clean and green in the morning in a bid to salvage what is left of the week and not have a disaster on the scales come Saturday.

Such an inspiration! Totally agree about lunch always based round bread :-( why can't they do a continental type spread with meat and salad?
:) x

Feeling a bit more positive today but still not 100%

i desperately need to take some time off work as i work flexi time and have had a few trips out of town and long days so they owe me lots of hours. My manager has been saying for ages I've been doing too much and need to take some time off - but if only it was that easy eh? Now its got to the point where if i don't take the hours before Friday I'll lose some of them - grrrrr! That's the only thing I don't like about my job.

So I've been rushing today to get all of the urgent stuff done so I can take the day off tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't take Friday off too as I have a meeting so it looks like I will lose some of the hours I've worked :-(

was supposed to be meeting a friend for lunch tomorrow so we could have a natter/ catch up / general moan to each other which always cheers me up. But she's just rang to cancel so I'm at a loose end now - there's always the decorating I suppose lol.

after that blooming cake incident yesterday I am back on track today and will be as clean and green as I'm ever gonna get.

menu today will be:

b: black coffee one sweetner,
l: mim cut into four, toasted with prawn mayo and turkey.
d: roast chicken, stuffed mushroom, sf jelly.

Hope you've all had a lovely day xx

Hi all,

feeling much better today - I have BONES!!!!!!

well obviously I have bones or I would resemble a jelly but what I mean is - I have visible bones - collar bones to be exact. I have never seen these before. Obviously they've always been there but they've been hidden under a thick layer of fat but now I can see them in the mirror and that little hollow in the middle of the neck that some women have, I now have one of those too - where has that come from? I don't appear to have these things on my wedding photo so I can only presume that I am somehow slimmer in some areas than I was when I got married - even though I am still significantly heavier?? I wonder whether I could fit in my wedding dress - hmmmmmm?!

Anyway now I've got that randomness out of the way. Today has been boring - worked two hours this morning then did some decorating but can't go any further until I get more supplies. Got a long boring evening stretching out in front of me. Hubby works the evening shift and doesnt get home until 11pm tonight (and every night in fact ) all my friends live at least 20 miles away and all have their own families so once my little one has gone to bed that's it - nothing to do other than read, play on the i pad or watch telly - boo!! I used to be ok with it but recently I've been finding it harder it would be nice just to eat a meal together or snuggle up and watch telly with my hubby of an evening like normal people do but hey ho nowt I can do about it so I need to get a grip n stop moaning before everyone including me loses the will to live.

Been clean and green ish today but feel very hungry probably cos I'm bored lol. Menu today will be:

l: mim toasted and sliced into four with butter, turkey and mayonnaise.
d: got some leftover roast chicken from yesterday so probably chicken curry with egg fried cauliflour rice.

I just found some soya flour in my cupboard does anyone use this and can tell me what it's like - is it lower carb than coconut flour?

Hope you're all well ladies xx

Oh god - I just read that back - I sound like a right misery don't I? Lol :badmood:

Jonsgirl it's your diary moan away if you want to :)
i have just been catching up on that last few days worth and I really enjoyed reading your last few posts even though they were down. It's the honesty which resonates with me and i am sure others.

the depression I truly believe is diet related. I believe this because when I used to eat like a pig and eat chocolate, short bread, pies etc i always had the biggest nastiest food/mood swings ever! I used to be up and down like a yoyo. Sticking with clean and green really does stabilise the emotions.

It could have well been your cake that set you off, why d you think I called my diary the food zombie? Because that's what I believe we are when we eat sugar and carbs.

good on you for being so stressed at work and not going ballistic with so much food, you should be well proud. You are re wiring your brain :)

as for the collar bones, isn't it an amazing feeling? I got too now, ribs stick out, hip bones protrude and my nose looks even more like gonzo without the fat hahaha....small price to pay though for being slimmer ;)

are you taking measurements? How often do you weigh in?

sorry for long post......:(

Not too long at all Lauren, thanks for replying - it's nice to know someone is reading.

haha well yes I am definitely honest - sometimes too honest - my mouth gets me into trouble lol

I have always tended to depression like I said but when I'm low carb I feel calmer, more together somehow. I also have so much more patience and nowhere near as snappy. I know that in a few days when I get back into full ketosis my mood will lift significantly and hopefully that will be reflected in my posts lol.

I do measure but not regularly - usually if I feel a bit heavy I measure rather than weigh - this keeps me motivated because I know if the scales aren't kind I've still probably lost inches.

i try to weigh once a week only as I can get a bit obsessive - although if I'm trying a new food I've not eaten before (like when i used coconut flour for the first time) I tend to weigh the day before and the day after to see what effect it has had, whether it's knocked me out of ketosis and whether it's "safe" to keep eating. Xx

Helllllllllooooooo! I'm back!

Well, when I say back I don't mean back because I've been here all the time. I mean that I feel much more happy and bouncy today - depression is starting to lift - yay!

not done much today - a morning of pushing papers followed by a bit of a speech at a newly diagnosed class with the local physio. I've never liked public speaking and a year ago you would never even have got me to do it - but funnily enough today for the first time I quite enjoyed it - my cheeks weren't burning like they usually do and I didn't stumble over my words or rush through so fast that no one can understand what i'm saying or lose my thread and look daft. Most strangely of all i usually listen to my own voice and think how whiny and nasal it sounds and how awful it must sound to others but today i thought that my voice sounded much better - more controlled, stronger, even a little deeper. i find this really unusual and I'm sure it must just be my imagination.

Anyway Back home picked up the boy and off out to tesco for some goodies - menu today will be:

l: mim sliced into four, toasted, with chicken mayo.
d: hmmmmm?? Dunno trying to be clean and green as it's weigh in tomoro - probably chicken wrapped in bacon and some stuffed mushrooms.

my menu is really boring - I feel like I've eaten the same thing over and over again all week - a sure sign that I was in a "can't be a*sed" phase. Now I feel better i feel a recipe experimentation session coming on. I will let you know if I discover any new low carb delights!

happy Friday ladies! Xx

Hi JG, just caught up with you, glad your moods better.

Well done for;

Not going completely nuts for carbs at the meeting and afterwards.

Recognising the depression and getting thought it.

The BONES!

Your journey so far is aspiration for me. And yayyy for the return of experimental JG who has us all drooling at her delicious menus!!

Thanks busy

oooooooo I just got an e mail from low carb megastore that the goodies I ordered will be delivered on Tuesday morning - got so much lovely stuff coming i actually cant wait - excited much??? Today has been a good day xx

Morning JG:). Here's wishing you a jolly weekend with lots of cooking inspiration! :D

X

Hi all,

well I am one pound down this week which is miraculous considering I had the cake and sandwich on Tuesday. It could have been so much worse!

thanks for all the kind words and support I have had on here while I've been feeling down - it really does make all the difference! :D

So today I get the house to myself for a bit as hubby is taking little one to a birthday party - so I will be mostly decorating! Or I might sneak into the kitchen while I've got peace n quiet ;)

We got the ppi money into the bank last night so instead of stuffing our faces to celebrate, hubby and i have decided to book a couple of cheeky weekends away to give us something to look forward to - still trying to decide where to go but I love going away so I'm really excited.

trying to decide what to do for my tea - went shopping last night so have too much choice which is nearly as bad as having nothing in. Might make some southern fried chicken wraps or maybe experiment with a recipe for batter I've been looking at to make some fish and chips or maybe have chicken baked in mayo which is my all time favourite dish at the moment or maybe....... Lol can you tell I've got my mojo back?!

lunch will probably be a mim sausage sandwich as I've got some lovely sausages to use up - cant wait for my low carb ketchup to get here from low carb megastore on Tuesday. I don't eat a lot of ketchup but on a sausage or bacon sandwich it's really essential!

Morning JG, well done on the pound and welcome back to mojo! Sounds like a lovely weekend planned xxx

hubby and i have decided to book a couple of cheeky weekends away to give us something to look forward to - still trying to decide where to go but I love going away so I'm really excited.

Sounds like a fab idea love, really something to look forward to and keep good memories of :)

Sorry I've been awol but yahoo to the pound and to feeling more chirpy xxx

Back