Joolz's Management diary - Week 6

Sounds like a great day Joolz and your underwear sounds gorgeous :D

Cath

It's a shame that you had to rush eating the tuna, especially that late in the day. The bloating WILL reduce as your stomach gets used to food again. I wonder if you could look at your schedule over the next few days, and plan what and when you are going to eat, so you don't have to eat so late in the evening.

I try to give myself time to prepare my food and eat now. Taking the time to eat slowly is something I never really did, my mind was always on the next task. Now I try and enjoy the eating experience for what it is, chewing slowly and savouring every bite. A new skill!

That is great advice AJ (as ever!). I have been better organised today. I was working in London again but took a bar with me to have during the day.

In by 7.30pm tonight so I made the spicy chicken recipe from the Week 1 recipe book. I had bought some fresh coriander, salad leaves and chicken on my way home.

1. I really enjoyed preparing a meal "for me". I took my time, chopping and preparing. I've always liked cooking.
2. The cooking smells were wonderful.
3. I set myself a pretty plate, nice cutlery and a place at the table.

I so enjoyed this proper meal. It was a "taste sensation" - not just from the herbs and spices, but the chicken itself was tasty as were the salad leaves - mainly watercress and spinach with balsamic and lime juice, pinch of black pepper.

Who need fat/oils the tastes were so fresh and vibrant.

So really enjoyed it, took mt time and ate most of the chicken breast, it wasn't a large one. I ate til I was full rather than finish the plate.
And the organised new me - I cooked two chicken breasts rather than one and will take it with me to work tomorrow with salad as I will be working late and won't be home til gone 10pm probably.

Have my 1st management pop in tomorrow with my LLC (fitting it in during the working day). I will be interested in seeing what the scales say and discussing progress.

The other good news - not as much bloating after the tuna last night and tonight after the chicken I am feeling full (satisfied) but not stuffed. I hope my stomach is adjusting.

I know the road ahead will have its detours and difficulties, but at the moment taking one day at a time and enjoying this route to management process.

"...Who need fat/oils the tastes were so fresh and vibrant..."

I second that!

"...I cooked two chicken breasts rather than one and will take it with me to work tomorrow..."

Ha! That's what I do, too!

I think what you're doing is giving some credence to an important ritual (think of the Japaese tea ritual - all that bother for a cup of tea(?) but it is a beautiful ritual, and I bet that tea tastes wonderful, being served by a geisha!). I have bought new (smaller) plates - designer-like square, curved, black and white. Really stylish.

I am not always able to spend the time preparing my meals with as much care and consideration that I'd like, but that's life when you have a busy life and family.

When I can spend the time cooking, it now takes on a different aspect. I used to dislike spending time in the kitchen, but now I think of all the goodness, health and value I'm putting into myself (and the rest of the family too). My shopping trolley is unrecognisable from six months ago (before LL). And that's the way it will stay. I cannot go back to that other place again.

Reading your post was nostalgic - it reminded me of me when I started on Management, feeling my way around and trying new tastes and ingredients. A great adventure, really.

hi Joolz, how you doing today??

I did the spicy chicken as well and yes it was great, hubby thought so too.

Did you want to carry on eating all evening? I did and was wondering if you felt the same?

Hope the pop in went well, let me know how you got on...

Take it easy xx

Day 4 in the Management House...

Thanks to all the lovely people who post such wonderful comments on my diary thread. It means a lot and helps keep me on the straight and narrow knowing that I am not alone.

Today was a good day for all sorts of reasons:) . Had my pop in at LLC and pleased that I lost 3.1lb. We had a 121 chat about management and it was really helpful. We chatted about the importance of portion sizes and what I introduce next week (low fat dairy and extra veggies and sugar free jelly). I think I will find the weekly pop ins very useful.

Busy at work again but the new "organised Joolz" had her spicy chicken and salad leaves in a lunch box. I have to say the spicy chicken was even better cold, the flavours had matured overnight in the fridge. Its a lovely recipe. I did want to carry on eating I have to say but I think that was:
1. down to it being delicious
2. its good to be eating again
3. there was lots going on in my head about various issues (not food related)

But the tools of this journey have taught me that to keep eating is not the answer. An hour or so later and a black tea or two and I actually felt quite full, even bloated again! So that has taught me a valuable lesson in stopping eating when a reasonable portion has been consumed and examine the real reasons for wanting more in my "gob".

Anyway - the day was a good one and some of the issues were sorted and as I write this, I am feeling pretty good.

Another challenge tomorrow evening. Going out for a meal with a couple who have been through the ups and downs of my LL journey. I have sat with them in restaurants before as part of the foursome and had my bar/soup and water. I think they are more delighted than I am that I will be eating again. I have chosen the restaurant - a nice Italian which I know will do me simply cooked fish or chicken with salad leaves and I will take a bar for dessert. I know its a big challenge so early on in management but I have to get back in the real world sooner or later and I want to eat healthily for life. As the nominated driver I won't be drinking so can keep my resistance high. So wish me luck...

"...But the tools of this journey have taught me that to keep eating is not the answer. An hour or so later and a black tea or two and I actually felt quite full, even bloated again! So that has taught me a valuable lesson in stopping eating when a reasonable portion has been consumed and examine the real reasons for wanting more in my "gob"..."

Yes, exactly. You just keep on doing what you're doing and you'll keep on getting what you're getting!

"...as I write this, I am feeling pretty good..."

I am so pleased to have read your positive post this morning, Toots. It's encouraging to read about someone else's experience with management.

"...I know its a big challenge so early on in management but I have to get back in the real world sooner or later and I want to eat healthily for life..."

You will really enjoy your meal Toots. When I first started eating we went out for lunch (family) and all I had was a side salad (everything else was off-limits due to the cooking processes). It was a real treat to have a plate in front of me like everyone else, instead of just a black coffee!

Good Luck with eating out Joolz, I know you will be fine as you have done so fantastically with your loss. I was reading your post about the new bras and I think I will put that down as my goal weight treat. Thanks for the idea :)

AmandaJayne;173911[COLOR=black said:
When I first started eating we went out for lunch (family) and all I had was a side salad (everything else was off-limits due to the cooking processes). It was a real treat to have a plate in front of me like everyone else, instead of just a black coffee![/COLOR]

What a beautiful day, spring is here.
Thanks for the comments AJ. Well I went out for the "Italian Meal" last night, me, hubby and another couple. It WAS nice to eat in a restaurant again. I was very proud of myself as I did stick to the water (although the red wine the others drank SMELT very nice), and passed on the starter and had grilled sardines and a green salad with balsamic and a twist of black pepper. Perfect for this stage of management and I really enjoyed it. Felt decidedly normal rather than the odd one out. I think the waiter thought i was a bit weird but WHO CARES. Too many sardines though so Barney the cat got a catty bag and has been enjoying the sardines today. Had my LL bar with a coffee for dessert while the other three had creme brulee. I felt full but so happy. I just hope I can keep this up as other challenges arise.

Today I have bought myself a rock lobster tail in Waitrose (half price off the fish counter) that I will have with garlic and salad.

tomorrow is another test as I have family coming fr the day and will be cooking for 11 - but I am actually going to enjoy the cooking and have my coping strategies ready.

Have a good weekend all.

Well done joolz I think you have done really well.

Good luck for the family dinner - but I am sure you will be fine

x

Before and After Photos

Well its Monday and I had a great weekend. Had family over yesterday and enjoyed cooking for them all (12 for dinner plus cat and dog) and I was really focused on my management plan - sticking to a plain chicken breast with herbs cooked in foil in the oven with salad leaves, spinach and watercress. The comments I got from my family (sisters and offspring) were amazing. Bless them my 3 sisters bought me a big bouquet for
1. hosting the day, and
2. the acheivement of my weight loss.
We love it when we get together. I took the opportunity to get hubby to take some photos in the garden and hopefully this will work - me pre diet and here I am on Week 2 of Management from today! The week 2 bit scares me a little but more of that another time.

Attachments

• Jtbefore.JPG
    Jtbefore.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 79
  • JTbefore2.JPG
    JTbefore2.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 71
wow joolz - great weight loss - what a huge difference - I'll bet you are sooooo proud of yourself - so inspiring!

I just have to add my contrats to Skinny's!

You do look fab Joolz! Totally different. Its strange isn't it that we still (mostly) feel the same, but others' reactions to us are do different.

Thank you AJ and Skinnyminny - lovely words.

Well I mentioned earlier that entering Week 2 of management as I awoke this morning seemed even more scary than Week 1. As I reviewed the week 2 foods I can add (stuck to my fridge door) I thought "oh, there's a lot of extras there -AND a SNACK - snacking has always been a bad habit in the past, how can I eat that much and not put on weight." "I'm terrified of putting weight back on".

A bit of crooked thinking which lasted with me all day. The Adult said - "the plan is proven to work, just stick with the principles of eating when hungry, eating til satisfied and watch your portions." But still the worry was there...
Today I have had;
  • a soup and a shake pack at 11am and 3pm (one still to go!)
  • About 4 litres of water - maybe more
  • Homemade tzatziki (cue, spring onion garlic, with v.low fat plain yog made in my Easiyo overnight (I love Easiyo yoghurt) with about 150g of crudities - mushrooms, orange pepper, broccoli and radish
  • mackerel fillet poached in water and balsamic with a handful of leaves and peppers
  • two dessertsppons of sugarfree jelly I made yesterday (My family love it)
  • black tea and coffee
Feeling full but not stuffed. my body says I've had an adequate quantity of food today - my head says you've eaten too much, you must have put on weight!!!

What is this all about this head lark?

Pictures show a wonderful weightloss - well done Joolz :)

Cath

Pictures show a wonderful weightloss - well done Joolz :)

Cath
Thanks Cath.

Been very busy with work and working late so not a lot of time to get on here and post.

Week 2 of Management is going well. I'm enjoying the veg crudities which I have with tzatziki - handy for during the day at work - and I reckon the smell from the garlic in the tzatziki is better than my ketosis breath!!! The crudities have been peppers, broccoli, mushroom, radish and courgette. All very yummy raw actually.

Last night was spicy chicken breast and mixed leaves followed by strawberry fat free jelly and a spoon of v low fat yoghurt.

Today similar routine but had a tilapia fish fillet (wet fish counter in Sainsbury) which I sautéed in a little stock, herbs and spices. It was delish!!!!!!
Really into the fish thing - bought some raw king prawns too for tomorrow which will be had quite late as I am working late - at least quick to cook. fitting in the 3 foodpacks but finding that I don't really want them from a "hunger perspective" just taking them for the nutrition.

Had my Management pop in with LLC earlier - good to catch up and in 6 days I've lost a further 1.6 lbs and I was really pleased to be losing in Management but know it will slow down/stop and I am more or less at my goal weight. Never thought I'd say that! Still can't get my head round it. Feel like a fat person still I suppose, so the head still needs sorting to catch up with the body. I catch myself sitting like I used to - round shouldered, trying to make myself as small as possible - so my posture is something I have to work on and sit and stand and walk tall and proud.

Amazing how this affects all aspects of your life.

Hi Joolz, I just wanted to say congratulations on your great weight loss, and good luck for management. I shall be an avid reader of your thread, and I hope to learn lots about the LL management journey. Angela x

Mornin' Joolz,

Nice to read your perspective on the early weeks of management. Love your food choices, too. Interesting what you say about posture, I have found that mine is better now, not sure why, but may be something to do with having a different centre of gravity. I certainly walk tall and sit straighter in a chair.

A busy few days so no time to post until now. Food choices have still been made in line with "the rules" and I am happy with that.

Have had yummy stir fried spicy king prawns with salad leaves the last couple of evenings. Plus sugar free jelly and v low fat yog.

Have had trouble fitting in the veg crudities and dip though as been out and about in London. Funny thing was I had my yummy tzatziki with me in a sealed pot but had forgotten to bring the crudities so I nipped into Sainsbury's in Holborn hoping for some ready made crudities I could choose but ended up with a bag of prewashed broccoli and cauliflower florets. In the end I had nowhere to eat it anyway (I refuse to eat on public transport as so many people do - DISGUSTING!!!!) so the veg and dip waited til I got home!!
I think that is one of my issues - having a busy, on the move job, I have to be organised around food to take with me. Will be easier next week when fruit is back on the menu - you can always get fruit round London in easy to eat portions!!!

Gotta go now - chores to do - a girl's work is never done.

Joolz x

hi joolz,
just seen your pictures AMAZING !!! you look absolutely fantastic , you should be so proud of yourself.
reading through your thread s so interesting as im just behind you and am fighting with the same issues evry day , the headthing is driving me insane, my chatterbox is in overdrive tonight its doing my head in , im full but its just pushing me ( no way am i giving in though )
again emotional hunger , issa my little girl has hand, foot and mouth so is poorly , and of course mummy needs comfort too , so my head is giving it what for:D
i just keep throwing the water down my neck and hope for the best :)
keep up the good work joolz and celebrate just how fabulous you are !!!! shoulders back and chest out!!!:p

hi joolz,
just seen your pictures AMAZING !!! you look absolutely fantastic , you should be so proud of yourself.
reading through your thread s so interesting as im just behind you and am fighting with the same issues every day , the head thing is driving me insane, my chatterbox is in overdrive tonight its doing my head in , I'm full but its just pushing me ( no way am i giving in though )
again emotional hunger , issa my little girl has hand, foot and mouth so is poorly , and of course mummy needs comfort too , so my head is giving it what for:D
i just keep throwing the water down my neck and hope for the best :)
keep up the good work joolz and celebrate just how fabulous you are !!!! shoulders back and chest out!!!:p

Thanks sukiesue!! Lovely comments. Poor you having the old chatterbox regarding your daughter being poorly. At least you recognise it as a chatterbox... Keep strong coz we are all doing so well on Management it seems.
Yes I do intend to walk tall and stick out my (much reduced but still out there) chest.

Weekend has been good. Still having trouble fitting in three foodpacks so actually pleased that they reduce to 2 from tomorrow when I enter Week 3. Yesterday had crudities and home made dip during the day (and today too) and last night's meal was a seafood medley from Waitrose which I stirfried in stock herbs and spices and had with the obligatory salad leaves. Really yummy. It was from the frozen section in Waitrose and was salmon, mussels, scallops and king prawns. I thought good value, quick as it was cook from frozen and good quality fish. bless him hubby wanted the same as me (I agree we should eat the same food where possible) so e shared the pack. Blooming gorgeous.

Today turkey breast steaks cooked in the oven in foil. Boring but OK.

Tomorrow I can have fruit and more protein choices. I am so looking forward to reintroducing fruit. The fridge is already stocked....

Went clothes shopping today - I've discovered Phase 8 which is pricey but their stuff is gorgeous and they had a mid season sale so bought a load of stuff half price!!! And the best bit - and I am walking tall over this and intend to wear the size labels on the outside (not really) - I bought size 10 tops, a camisole and pretty spring cardi set, a size 10 linen skirt, a pair of size 12 corded skinny jeans, a size 10 dress and a size 8!!!!!! (YES I SAID SIZE 8:) :) :) ) skirt which fits. Tried them all on and the different styles in the different sizes are just the job. I think I am really now a size 10-12, the 8 being a fluke. That is amazing. So the credit card took a beating but I now have some decent stuff in my wardrobe which fits. Just have to get hubby to take me somewhere now,,,,

The clothes shopping is weird... My head still thinks I am fat I think, as it looks at these clothes on the rail and chatterbox says "you have no hope of getting into those skinny clothes" - then I do and that feeling is great. Having read stuff about body image, I know it will take a while for my brain to catch up with my body. This is funny old journey in so many ways. I am sure my life is not going to be the same again and my brain is constantly in overdrive these days. Its all worth it though.

So here's to Week 3.

Have a good week everyone.

Joolz x

Back