June/July book - Valley of the Dolls by Jacquiline Susann - Read by 31st July

OK gals - the time has come to open the discussion for The Lake of Dead Languages... What did you think?

I found it a difficult book to get into, I didn't enjoy the style of writing and not being a "language" person i found the constant latin phrases and translations hugely irritating!!!

The book did start getting better from just after halfway - it was interesting to follow the truth about the "curse". I enjoyed the twists about who the mothers of the babies were (Lucy and Helen Chambers).

Enjoyed the discovery of the person towards the end too, didn't really see that coming but i was like "but of course!!!" when the penny finally dropped!!!!!

The "incest" bit was interesting but freakish as was the baby in the tin - surely Jane would not do that despite being so taken in by Lucy???

i found Jane vey annoying too - insipid and pathetic character - and was shocked when she let Olivia stay with her father.

I'm glad she found love in the end and PMSL when i found out it was him she lost her virginity too and not Matt !!!

Have to totally agree with what Karen has said. If this book had not been for the book club I would have given up not long after starting it. I did find it picked up once it got to the middle and explained more about Jane when she was younger. Yes she did come across as being very insipid. I also struggled with the Latin bits and tended to skip them. Loved the twists it gave and never for one minute thought the young girl had come back to be a teacher there either. I really thought this book would be bland, it was a very very slow starter for me but once it started to unravel I loved it. Well done for picking a book that took me out of my comfort zone. I did find it a dark and depressing read though I have to say and look forward to something a bit more lighter....xx

After the first couple paragraphs where I was unsure, I then totally got into it to the point I could barely put the book down. I liked the ending. I also liked the twists and turns along the way. I feel good that I worked out who the culprit was before it was spelled out for me, well she was my third suspect lol. First was Helen Chambers and I can't remember who second was.

The thing that irrated me a bit was the constant description of the weather. Dunno why.

it took me weeks to get past the first few chapters:rolleyes: I just couldn;t get into it!

Once about Jane at the school, I thought it got better. hard book for me as didn't enjoy it so much, so not much to comment on:confused:

I read all but the first chapter in one day, I loved it!

I liked the characters, the storyline, the genre, the style of writing and I enjoyed the latin phrases too. Language has always interested me.

I too guessed who the murderer was before the end. Felt pretty pleased!

I was a bit sad that it wasn't Matt Jane lost her virginity too on May Day, but I was really pleased that she ended up with Roy, and that she had the final say in whether the school should close. It was a nice ending.

With regards to letting her daughter stay with her father, I *think* I would have done the same. If my kids were in danger I would definitely want them as far away as possible from it, however much I'd miss them.

I enjoyed all the skating, even though I'm roller rather than ice! I enjoyed the flashbacks, and liked the way they were written.

All in all a brilliant book, and I will be looking out for other's by the same author!

:D

Lucy was so manipulative. I think she could've wrapped almost anyone around her finger. Albie aka dr Lockheart was certainly in awe of her and her mother Domina Chambers. Jane was kinda naieve and easily led.

Was hoping jane and Roy would get together, she was very unhappy in her marriage so was glad she didn't get back with ex husband.

I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I thought the author's descriptions were stop on, not too flowery if you know what I mean. I did guess who the 'villian' was, in a way I thought it was a little too obvious, especially how nasty she was to the Jane. At some points I did get annoyed with Jane for not sticking up for herself more or for being too naive, but I felt that this portrayed how damaged she was from her experiences at school/home. I was glad that the story had a happy ending after the dark moments.

Overall I thought this was a very good read.

well for the majority of the book i thoroughly enjoyed it. i agree about the latin bits though, did skip through them and the weather lol!

i didn't like lucy and the way she controlled everyone, i hope my daughter doesn't meet anyone like her at school:eek:

i liked the twists and turns, i hate books that are so predictable that you know the ending in the first couple of chapters! i had suspicions about the killer but had more than one to choose from lol and even thought it could have been the cop at one point.

all in all i enjoyed it!

I suggested this book as an excuse to read it for the second time.....apart from remembering the main "twist", I enjoyed it even more at the second reading. In fact, I picked up on the "clues" second time round too.
Normally I hate descriptive prose and just skim read those parts, but this book had me completely gripped with every word. I loved the prose and felt as if I were watching a film as I read (usually have no imagination whatsoever! :eek:) - in fact, I can't believe it's never been made into a film (my copy came from a theatrical, tv and film agency, so maybe it's been considered at some point). I can remember squealing out loud at the twists and turns the first time I read it (and have previously posted that my best friend rang me regularly whilst reading my copy, full of "oh my Gods" and "I can't believe that".
Selfish Lucy frustrated the hell out of me, soooo controlling - a bully in angel's clothing!
I am a linguist and love language, so all of that aspect of the book really grabbed me too, as did, in a way, the school setting.
This is the first book I've re-read since childhood - and I'll not be letting this copy go again. It will definitely have a third outing for me!

At first, it was a bit boring and slow, but then once I got into it (after a handful of pages) I had to keep reading it to see what happened next. Although I have never been at a school where murders occured, I have been to an all girls' highschool and suicide and old tales of the place certainly did happen...the secrets in the book and the ties and the actual murders are very close together, condensed really...it seems unrealistic, but then entertainment is rarely realistic is it? I found parts very hard to believe, cannot remember which, but could feel myself going "yeah whatever" in my head to them.

I liked the Latin and the old feel (the history of the place), it reminds me of clever or intellectual people who have to remind others that they are just that, and the author in doing so, is reminding us that this is where she came from, she is a Latin major and was a teacher (not saying she WAS the main character in the book (was that Jane?), but guess she took some real life experience and put it into the characters/main character)...sorry I like to read the backgrounds of the writer as well as the acknowledgements and the reserch they did (find it fascinating)...her daughter was part of the inspiration in this book...great to think that the ordinary can be turned into the extraordinary or the entertaining at the very least...by writers...

I enjoyed it, even though, in places I was a bit unsure if things worked...some of it seemed over contrived and other parts seemed clever...I'm glad I finished it...I didn't have any favourite characters in this, they all seemed in some way too far from my personality to identify with them...I liked the police man but found his mannersims a bit weird...um, not sure what else to add...I liked the adventures they all seemed to have though, the swimming in the lake and the ice skating...reminds me of when I was young and carefree...

I didn't really enjoy this book I stuck with it and read it all but its the sort of thing that if I was reading it "for myself" I would have put it down/back and got another one.
I didn't feel any empathy for any of the characters at all other than a tiny bit for the mother that was trapped in the town and eventually died there.
I felt some of it was very predictable and that many of the characters were one dimensional.....we never get to find out very much about them about likes and dislikes about how they looked and to a certain extent how they felt.
I saw the baby in the tin and the incest as being there for shock value more than anything. Professor Lockhart made me think of Snape (harry potter) from the start and I realised she was the villain early on.
I also didn't feel this author transported you to the places she wrote about anywhere near as easily as in Sea Glass...where it was almost like you could feel the sea in the air as Shreve wrote about it.
I just felt it was a bit like a typical semi horror movie in its Don't go out in the snow! Don't go Skating! Don't go swimming! the Bogey man will get you.
In the end for me the whole story was a mixed up version of What Katie did - The shinning - Deep Water and Torvill & Dean with a good wallop of Dead poets society for good measure.

Just not my cup of tea :eek:

I now have Mays book and i'm really looking forward to reading it. When i bought it the lady serving me said 'have you read many of Susan lewis' books' to which i replied 'no i haven't but it was the book chosen for this months book club' and she said it was an excellent book and that i would more than likely love reading it. So now i'm busy getting the kids off to bed so i can chill for the evening with my book. :D

Wow some really good comments and thoughts on the book and glad to see thoese that struggled with it stuck it out. (I was one of the strugglers). I love this thread so much everytime I think I will give up the forum this thread pulls me back. We are really getting into the discussion as well this time. Has anyone picked the book for next month yet as we need to get it ordered....sorry if I sound pushy I dont want to be waiting for it to be delivered lol...

well many people wanted something light and a bit more "frivolous" after the last 2 or so a few said so do I suggest any and see what grabs people? or can anyone else suggest anything?

ok here are a few with new & Used Amazon prices (price in brackets) dont forget the postage tho

River Run Deep by Rachel Treasure (£0.22p)

Diving into light by Natasha Farrant ( £0.01p)

Midnight Champagne by Manette Ansay (£0.01p)

A small part of History by Peggy Elliott (£0.01p)

Tribute by Nora Roberts (£3.91)

Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann (£0.01p)

Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs (£4.28)

there are a few to be going on with :wave_cry:

Last edited:
Oh, please can we read Valley of the Dolls?

I'd love an excuse to re-read it - it's one of my all time favourite books, by one of my favourite authors (I particularly love Yargo too though).

Fact: this book is considered one of the best selling books of all time and coincidentally I found my copy (which I must have bought almost 20 years ago) in a sort out 2 weeks ago :)

Back