June/July book - Valley of the Dolls by Jacquiline Susann - Read by 31st July

Hi folks, Am I too late to join this book club? if not, I'll buy missing and read it really quickly. Love Broxi

Thanks everyone I'll buy it tomorrow and start reading.

gees, I need to get a move on lol.

Yeah, me too - I'm only on page 105 :eek:

I've just been too busy working and then evenings have been taken up by Britain's Got Talent :eek:

I read a good chunk last night, but really need to get a move on!!!!!

Me too Sarah! I will definitely finish it this week though....

So.....when are we starting then? Are we leaving it till the end of the week, to give people a chance to finish the book, or are those who have read it going to kick things off today?

Right then - I'm going to start this off, while I take a break from my exam marking.....otherwise I'll forget about the book, considering it's about a month since I finished it lol.

Found it somewhat frustrating, to be honest....just that bit too contrived. Didn't identify with (or particularly like) any of the characters (couldn't even bring myself to like the baby as he had such a stupid name :rotflmao:). The daughter just made me want to reach out and slap her, the father/ex was just far too understanding of her (and a wimp). Really didn't get the point of the auction, or the plot down in Devon.

I felt it was very obvious where the wife had disappeared to, and thought the police were just stereotypes.... At no point did I feel the wife was a danger to anyone, and saw the "end" coming a mile off. The press were also stereotypes and that situation was overly contrived also.

Felt like I was reading someone's outline for a tv film.

My first negative report - but hey, that's what this was all about really, stepping out of one's comfort zone.

Next stop "Valley"....what are we reading in July? (Or has this died a death now Karen's selfishly gone and got herself employed again? ;))

Ooh, I'd forgotten all about writing up my comments.

I must say that I pretty much agree with you Cate.

Not my usual cup of tea and tbh I thought it was a bit tame. Maybe I'm just used to my crime thrillers but I kept waiting for something actually bad to happen or a twist or something. Even the daughter running away didn't provide interest because she came straight back with causing too much angst lol. I really can't find anything else to say, but I am glad that I've been forced to read something out of my norm.

Ach well, back to my Patricia Cornwell until I read Valley :D:D:D

I'm still in for July though, assuming we are still all up for it :)

Ok so didnt finish Missing as the wife goinging missing marriage falling apart became far to close to home :cry: bloody men especially my now quite possibly ex-husband!!!!

reading Valley and loving it has any decison be made about Julys book as its only 3 weeks to go?

I agree with the previous poster, I kept skipping pages just to get to the end. I don't like leaving a book unfinished, but Missing was just so boring! I didn't identify with any of the characters and by the end I couldn't care less what happened to them.

Valley on the other hand was a page turner - finished it this morning...

Hi, I liked the book for an easy quick read but I agree not very exciting. It was typical in that you could see the end coming a mile off - would have been more exciting if she had kidnapped the child! The husband/ex was just too good to be true:D
Started Valley & enjoying it so far.

Ok how about July suggestions?

I've got a few, purely based on the books on my bookshelf (that aren't crime lol) which I've not got around to reading yet! All available cheap from Amazon too :)

Jennifer Weiner
Little Earthquakes
Certain Girls
(Great author who wrote the book In Her Shoes which became the movie with Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette)

Little Earthquakes: Jennifer Weiner: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Certain Girls: Jennifer Weiner: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Kim Edwards
The Memory Keepers Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter: Kim Edwards: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Joanna Trollope
Friday Nights

Friday Nights: Amazon.co.uk: Joanna Trollope: Books

Hey lovely peeps

Sorry to have gone awol but my god have i got some reading to do for my new job - feel too guilty reading anything else haha.

Well i must be a total weirdo because I LOVED LOVED LOVED Missing. The best book so far in this club for me. It was a real page turner and i thoroughly enjoyed every minute!

I can't say i loved any of the characters - and OMG i so wanted to slap the spoilt beeyatch of a daughter but i enjoyed the storyline immensely.

I've got Dolls but no idea if i'll get chance to read it! I'm not going to give up on this thread and it doesn't have to fall apart cos i'm not keeping up lol. I'll give Dolls a go.... but don't kill me if i miss a few books OK????

Keep reading ladies....

Ok how about July suggestions?

I've got a few, purely based on the books on my bookshelf (that aren't crime lol) which I've not got around to reading yet! All available cheap from Amazon too :)

Jennifer Weiner
Little Earthquakes
Certain Girls
(Great author who wrote the book In Her Shoes which became the movie with Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette)

Little Earthquakes: Jennifer Weiner: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Certain Girls: Jennifer Weiner: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Kim Edwards
The Memory Keepers Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter: Kim Edwards: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Joanna Trollope
Friday Nights

Friday Nights: Amazon.co.uk: Joanna Trollope: Books

I've read The Memory Keeper's Daughter and thought it was a good book. None of the others appeal to me...

I'm just about to start The 19th Wife
The 19th Wife: David Ebershoff: Amazon.co.uk: Books

It has got some good reviews...

Back