Just been made redundant advice please

peggypig

Silver Member
As I walked up the stairs to work this am I was greeted by my manager coming down the stairs (I thought this odd) she said she had some bad news told me I was being laid off as there wasnt much money coming into the business at the moment.

My query is I started there April 2010 30 hrs can they just lay you off no notice no payment only my wage from Dec to today.

The thing is if I rock the boat I wont get what Im owed and will never see my P45 as the accountant and owner are well known for hanging on to them.

To be honest Im not bothered about the job it was continous paperwork (boring) and constant negativity on the phone from unhappy clients who felt ripped off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I can't offer any advice myself, but would suggest that you talk to your local Citizens Advice Bureau - they will have dealt with this sort of thing before and will have all the advice you need.

Ring the Acas helpline tomorrow they will be the best one to give you all the advice you need, but they cant just throw you out the door no!

Depending on your contract, you are entitled to a paid notice period. Generally 1 month, unless your are dismissed for gross misconduct. So rock the boat. They are legally required to give u your P45.

I know that you are entitled to a weeks notice for every year of continued employment, maximum 12 weeks. Therefore they should of given you some sort of notice. But I agree that its best if you call ACAS.

Back