Just entered a 10k run!

Jenny809

Gold Member
I started running in February weighing 15 stone to start my weight loss campaign. I did a 5k in June and now nearly 2.5 stone down so going for the 10k!

Am really nervous, it's in December so a bit of time to train. Am sooo worried I'll be the last one!

Need something to keep me going through the colder months tho!

Anyone done a 10k as a new runner?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

I've only been running for about 2months (started in June!) I've signed up for a 10k in dec too! Hoping I'll be a little quicker and lighter by then :) xxx

Am getting nervous! I know I can run 6 miles in 65-70mins but really want to do it in under 50min. I do have a problem increasing my pace tho, not sure how to go about it?

God 50mins I have no hope! I'd love to do it in 90!!! Haha! I can run 6.5km in around 60mins! But tbh I just wanna finish!!!

I have no idea how to improve pace I need to work on mine! Let me know if you discover the secret lol. X

Went running tonight and managed 5 miles in 46mins, am happy with that! I started out on a flat cycle track and ran quite well. Ran 5k in 50mins then slowly got it to 32mins. I then tried a different route including some hills which was blimin hard but good for me cos I can now run faster on the flat. My new springy running shoes help and I suppose 2.5 stone lighter helps too!

I've taken up running too did a walk/run 10k in may and have managed to build up to running 4 miles now. To improve pace u need to increase speed for a few minutes during ur run then go back to normal pace so do 10 at normal pace 2 faster and do this for throughout :) good luck

lynns3cookies said:
I've taken up running too did a walk/run 10k in may and have managed to build up to running 4 miles now. To improve pace u need to increase speed for a few minutes during ur run then go back to normal pace so do 10 at normal pace 2 faster and do this for throughout :) good luck

Thanks! How long did your 10k take you? I have tried a bit of interval training, need to up this then I think.

;-)

87 minutes was really chuffed with that too as I walked more than I ran think k could really cut a good bit off it now too gonna do one in sept and see the difference :) keep up the work

lynns3cookies said:
87 minutes was really chuffed with that too as I walked more than I ran think k could really cut a good bit off it now too gonna do one in sept and see the difference :) keep up the work

Ooooh, well done, that's fab! Good luck in September. Have got a 10k plan now, best get to it!

Am getting nervous! I know I can run 6 miles in 65-70mins but really want to do it in under 50min. I do have a problem increasing my pace tho, not sure how to go about it?

thats already an impressive time! id be so happy if i could speed up to that. quickest ive actually done 10k is 56 minutes, but i was knackered after it, and couldnt breathe properly! my average 10k is 80 mins

See I think I'll manage it in 90mins!! I don't think I'll ever get any faster I find running soooooo hard! X

Good luck with the races everyone :)

I did a 10k in July in 79 mins but that was tough going as I really hadn't trained properly! I've got another 3 races coming up. A quarter marathon at the end of September, the 7 mile mud run in October and a local 5 mile in November.

I do one longer run a week and 2 interval sessions as well. I think I've well and truly caught the running bug!

Meliososo said:
Good luck with the races everyone :)

I did a 10k in July in 79 mins but that was tough going as I really hadn't trained properly! I've got another 3 races coming up. A quarter marathon at the end of September, the 7 mile mud run in October and a local 5 mile in November.

I do one longer run a week and 2 interval sessions as well. I think I've well and truly caught the running bug!

I like your training method I think I'm gonna e doing the same ill run the longer course at a slower pace with my running club then during the week a shorter distance but trying to increase my speed! Let's hope it works! I'd love to get my 10k time nearer 60mins than 90!!!! X

I've definitely got the running bug! Hurts like hell but I love it now. The 1st run I had, I was a wheezing wreck so it's great to see the improvement now. Haven't been out since last thurs tho so need a big one tonight. Fitting it into work, family, young kids is pretty tough tho.

My run is in December on a beach so the weather will be a huge factor. Gonna have to practise running in strong winds!

Jenny809 said:
I've definitely got the running bug! Hurts like hell but I love it now. The 1st run I had, I was a wheezing wreck so it's great to see the improvement now. Haven't been out since last thurs tho so need a big one tonight. Fitting it into work, family, young kids is pretty tough tho.

My run is in December on a beach so the weather will be a huge factor. Gonna have to practise running in strong winds!

Where's your run mines on a beach too - the Weston Xmas cracker just wondered if it was the same!

Well done for improving I get to 6k and still feel like I'm about to die! Xx

Yes it is, how funny!! Small world :) have you run on sand before? My sister keeps telling me it's fine cos it's so wet, am slightly worried I'll get blown out to sea!! Have you done it before? Do you live in Weston? x

Jenny809 said:
Yes it is, how funny!! Small world :) have you run on sand before? My sister keeps telling me it's fine cos it's so wet, am slightly worried I'll get blown out to sea!! Have you done it before? Do you live in Weston? x

How funny! A very small world indeed lol! Nope this is my first race of any kind! Not even done a 5k! I'd already planned to stick to the wet sand haha! Apparently its quite a nice one a flat course etc! But I'm just worried about my pace you seem to be a bit of a wizz!

I live in Bristol! So not very far away you?! Xx

Most definitely not a whizz at all! I did the race for life 5k in June but that's it. Am glad it's flat cos I mostly train on the cycle track. I live in bristol too :)

Yeah I tend to run on the cycle tracks around Bradley stoke there's also some really nice routes in the woods/park areas! I'm still exploring - my biggest thing is getting motivated to get out - what keeps you going?! Xx

Seeing the weight coming off is my motivation as I firmly believe it's the exercise I'm doing not my diet (sw). I took a while to get into it but have the bug now. I started walk/run and slowly increased it. I then did routes from my house (kingswood) which included some hills which was unbelievably tough but has since helped my pace. Now when I run on the cycle track I can go faster, literally the last few weeks. So hill practice is key I think, makes flat runs easier! I did 5&1/4 miles in 51mins tonight ;-)

Back