Just Recipes!

Hiya,
Tonight I was thinking of having cauli & broccoli cheese with either a ham joint or some salmon, and i will heat left overs back up on my night shift :) Only thing is, im used to making cheese sauce with flour/butter/milk. Am i able to make it with just cream? Anyone got any recipes they can share? I dont have any "special" kinds of flours yet as im only in the first week & not been shopping?

cream and come cheese? although you can make a nice cheese sauce with phil, cheddar (or similar) and some couble cream. x

I threw together some stuff tonight and came out with something totally incredibly good for tea!
Fried some mushrooms in oil, added some boursin and a little water and simmered it for a bit, took out the mushrooms so they would not overcook, chucked in a bag of watercress and wilted that down a bit, threw the mushrooms back in with my diced roast gammon and heated it through, added some cream to finish and some black pepper, bubbled it for a couple of minutes - absolutely yummy!

nice one Bren i tried the cauli and corned beef last night very nice had the leftovers this morning cheers.

Stephen

In case you get fed up with mayo and fancy a change here is a recipe for salad cream.
4 Hard Boiled Egg Yolks
4 tbsp Cream
1 tsp Prepared Mustard
¼ tsp White Pepper
Vinegar
Salt and Cayenne, to taste
Remove the egg shells, and pound the yolks in a mortar to a smooth paste.
Add the other ingredients, except the vinegar, stir well until thoroughly combined.
Pour in enough vinegar, a little at a time, to make it the consistency of cream.
The mixture will then be ready for use.
Average cost: 7d for this quantity.
Sufficient for a moderate-sized salad. Note: The whites of the eggs, cut into rings, will serve very well as a garnishing to the salad.
This is from Mrs Beeton, I love the 7d cost! I don't have a mortar but I'm sure I can mash the yolks with a spoon.

What does everyone serve along with their curries?

i have cauliflower rice...... im not sure how other people do it... but i grate3 a cauliflower with the finer side of the grater. then either zap it in the microwave for about 6 mins, or stirfry it with a bit of sesame oil. no need to add water to it as its already got plenty of its own. xx

Yep cauli rice... sag paneer, need to try & make bombay celeriac!

StephenP said:
COURGETTE cooked in ghee with cheese

Mmmmmm that sounds like a nice alternative. May try that next week! Xx

Please can someone post the recipe for ham and cheese toastie - i cant seem to find it and it sounds lush! Thanks

some one mentioned it in their diary i think, they said they just fry up a slice of ham with cheese on top. lay over another slice of ham, flip it over to fry the other side and hey presto.... im gonna try it for supper ltter. xx

I regularly have salami slices, grilled then with a little brie or mozarella in the middle and grilled for another minute to melt it. Sounds similar to the toastie idea and is very yummy.

Just made myself some chilli mince with mushrooms and layered in a small dish with courgette and topped with egg/mayo mix with cheese.
Just waiting for it to cook..Hurry up!!

Last edited:
Back