Just started slimfast.. Tips??

Charlll

So I haven't lost a pound since summer, despite constantly counting calories like a loon. These shakes look good though - lots of iron and protein, which for a veggie like myself is great:)

After an awful lunch of cheesy chips I decided enough was enough. I just had my first shake and feel moderately full.

I've decided to have 1 or 2 shakes a day, plus fruit for snaking and one 500 calorie meal for the first two weeks. I know this is stricter than the normal plan, but I just need to get myself going, and as I'm a student nurse on shifts I don't really have the time to snack three times a day anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:) Time to lose that last stone!!

Hi

If you restrict yourself to just one shake you are likely to affect your weightloss as you will not give your body enough calories and it will go into "famine" mode. You'll end up making yourself ill particularly as your body will also be trying to cope with the effect of shifts.

As for time to snacks.,. have to say i think you may be making excuses to yourself there and you'll only be fooling yourself. As a nurse with plenty of ward experience I know it's easy to wolf down a banana or a small amount of mixed nuts (teacup ful is a portion) from behind the nurses station. Only takes a few seconds so lack of time is certainly no reason you shouldn't be able to snack properly. Last thing you want to do is make a drug error because you're concentration is off because of long gaps between eating. You need to be eating something every 3-4 hours and SlimFast tries to promote this pattern so that you carry it into normal life when you reach goal and come off plan.

Fastest way to lose weight? Follow the plan as advertised and look after yourself!

Now lecture over :) Good luck with the plan and keep us posted on how you do.

So I haven't lost a pound since summer, despite constantly counting calories like a loon. These shakes look good though - lots of iron and protein, which for a veggie like myself is great:)

After an awful lunch of cheesy chips I decided enough was enough. I just had my first shake and feel moderately full.

I've decided to have 1 or 2 shakes a day, plus fruit for snaking and one 500 calorie meal for the first two weeks. I know this is stricter than the normal plan, but I just need to get myself going, and as I'm a student nurse on shifts I don't really have the time to snack three times a day anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:) Time to lose that last stone!!

hi charl,
sometimes I only have one shake a day and then just have a second meal that is approx the same calories as a shake, - a weight watchers soup and a bread bun for example.
good luck!

One shake a day is too little, I'm just really struggling to get to my target. I could eat some toast or something before my shift starts, but I just don't feel like eating at 6am. I did have some oatcakes today at 3, I'd had a shake at lunch but was ravenous.

It's really hard to diet for me. My flatmates who're a similar weight fill the house with biscuits and the like. Then there's the night outs that start with pizza/pub food and end with more junk. Cos I'm the same shape I don't want to really publicise I'm on a diet, as I have a healthy BMI (which is a bit of a red herring as my body fat % is pretty high) and I don't want to encourage them to feel bad about themselves if they are happy, and to be honest it's hard to say no and be the odd boring one with a diet coke and an apple. So what I do to lose weight is to eat just under 1000 calories 4/7 days and then eat around 2000 for the rest. It's not perfect but it works for me and I never feel deprived.

but how long does it last for before weight goes back on? Yoyo dying only leads to more weight gain in long term? Would it not be better to try and find a food and exercise plan that works with you, your social life and your health in the medium to long-term? How about WW online? Eating in morning can be tough i know but it does kick start your metabolism and optimise weight loss. Even a banana would work.

Good luck.

I'm having trouble sticking to it, but I lost one and half stone last summer this way and it has stayed off. I will try and eat something in the mornings, I could always leave earlier so I get to work before my shift starts and I could eat then.. but then thats means I'd miss a precious half hour in bed. Only 6 weeks to go on this placement, thank god. It would be nice to finish it at goal.

Thanks for the advice, you've brought me back to earth a bit.

Glad to help... hope it didn't sound like a lecture.. occupational hazard of being a nurse....you can't turn it off :p

What year are you in and where are you doing your training? I qualified in 97 but only survived 3 years in the NHS before moving into occupational health.

Back