Karen's Diary

Karen

Serial Foodie!
Hello all,

Im Karen, 35 and have 3 kids. I work in a childrens home, go to uni on a youth worker degree and am kept busy with the children (mine and others!). Mine are 14, 11 and 8.

My husband left me 2 months ago (at valentines... the git) and i feel stuck! Im so unhappy and overweight and have even lost my marriage due to my size so it is time to really go for it. Ive started on exante (I had some left over from another attempt) but I cannot stick with not eating so I am hopping over to atkins. My book arrived today and will keep me busy for a while i think!

Todays menu is:

Brekky - 2 bacon medalions, 1 fried egg and a jumbo mushroom
Lunch - 3 egg omlette with mushoom, red onion and 2 oz cheddar
Dinner - Irish frying steak, 1 oz boursin, onion, tomato and lettuce

Look forward to getting to know you guys xxx

Hi Karen, lovely to meet you, just shout whenever you need any help or support, I have found everyone on here so lovely and friendly and inspirational. Good luck :)

Thanks Sandra, will definitely give regular shouts for help - im completely clueless, even with the book lol. xx

Careful with the onion and tomato - both are carby so don't have too much and make sure you measure the amounts. Green veg are the ones to eat most of.

I'm sure I'm not the only one able to relate to being miserable and treated badly because of size. But we can and do have the power to change things for ourselves. Hopefully we can all do it together.

Hi there again, I tend to use spring onions instead of other types of onion as they are lower carb :)

Thanks guys. I had some pork scratchings and don't think I can handle dinner. Could the scratchings count as a meal?

Don't think so really, more a snack, but Atkins says don't force yourself to eat, eat until you are satisfied :)

Hello! My husband also left me (another git!) just before Christmas a couple of years ago, with two small children. It takes ages to work through stuff like that, so please be kind to yourself, and if you ever need a friendly ear, I'm on here most days :)

I did a couple of weeks of a vlcd like exante before toddling over to Atkins, best decision ever! I was feeling miserable and setting a bad example to the kids, but now I feel much better and the kids are eating healthier too because I can actually be bothered to cook something (never wanted to cook for others when I was on shakes so they got a lot of easy, not healthy meals!). Anyway, I'll stop rambling on in your thread, but very good luck, have confidence in yourself and the diet, and don't be afraid of eating fat! (that's one of my biggest struggles, I've got low fat so drummed in to me that I'm scares of having cream! Doh!)

hi guys,

yes i had the band done abroad a couple of years ago and it made no difference! Im getting it filled again soon so hope it helps but for the most part, i regret having it done as it hasnt helped and cost a fortune. Still... i think the new fill may help and im sure atkins is going to work where everythign else has failed :D

I was at work yesterday (I do 24 hour shifts) but took food with me. I had goose egg and bacon for brekky, tuna for lunch and pork chops with salad and mayo for dinner. it was all delish! I cannot believe how easy this plan is and that it can actually work. Im not going to argue with the figures though as I hopped on the scales this morning and found I have lost 4lbs in 2 days after stuffing my face with goodies. I do miss potatoes and pasta and crave them but its a small sacrifice to have this plan work so well. Im dying to see how i do after the first full week!

Tomorrow is my sons 8th birthday so today we are going to the cinema and Frankie and Bennys afterwards. Im confident i can order a chicken salad or something and stay on plan. So, today will be:

DAY 3

Brekky - Pork Scratchings
Lunch - Lemon chicken salad (didnt think of the citric acids...)
Dinner - homemade hamburger, boursin and salad

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's going well - keep up the great work. Hopefully your cravings will die down and you may find that you dont even want some of this stuff at some point. I went out for a pizza last night (first commerical one for 15 months as part of my maintenance experiment) - it was good enoughbut frankly i'd have preferred a large steak:)

My tip would be to look at Frankie and Benny's website tonight and decide in advance what you're going to have. Faced with all that choice unprepared I personally find myself tempted to 'treat myself' but planning in advance means you don't even need to look at the menu while there.

If you usually have popcorn at the cinema you could take some pork scratchings or other Atkins snacks so you don't feel left out there either.

Enjoy the day!

great advice, thanks. Ive chosen grilled chicken and salad without the ceaser dressing. ooo im hungry!

Hi all,

I ended up having lemon chicken salad and didnt think about the citric acid at all! I thought I was being all good by having grilled chicken and salad while everyone else tucked into burgers and fries and pizza. Silly me! Still, it was ok and my boy had a great time. I think the diet is making me really tired as i fell asleep during the film and i have NEVER drifted off sitting up before, let alone in a loud theatre!

Give it a couple more days - once you're solidly in ketosis you should have more energy, not less.

Thank you hun, I will hold out for the big K. Im absolutely loving this diet, being able to eat out today and not feeling deprived at all. tis lovely!

Best thing about atkins is it's so easy to eat out. Well done!

Thanks Katie and good morning Minis xxxx

Today is my day off and my sons official birthday (he is 8 now, bless). As we celebrated yesterday, we are just going to have a birthday dinner tonight and he has requested pizza. Ive decided to make some wrapless fajitas for my dinner so I wont be tempted by the naughty stuff.

I dont know if its a fluke or this diet but I got my totm this morning without any warning cramps. Usually I am in discomfort for a couple of days first. If its the diet, I could really get used to it! Who needs all that misery?

Im hoping today wont be too tempting with birthday cakes and goodies. My menu is looking like:

Brekky - bacon and egg
Lunch - Homemade burgers and salad with mayo
Dinner - wrapless fajita... chicken, onion, peppers, tomato with sour cream and cheese MMMMMMMMMM

Time to get my son off to breakfast club xxxxx

Good Morning Minis,

Yesterday went really well and my son enjoyed his birthday. They filled up with pizza and icecream while I had my wrapless fajitas. I enjoyed it so much Im going to have the same again tonight. Im off again today but really need to sort my house out so I'll be doing mostly packing for our house move and clearing out. Im not really enjoying having to do it but it does feel good once its done.

No sign of ketosis yet and its day 5. I dont know if thats usual but I sure wish it would hurry up as I need to start burning fat, not losing water. Todays menu is:

DAY 5

Brekky - bacon and fried egg
Lunch - Ham & boiled egg salad
Dinner - wrapless fajita... chicken, onion, peppers, tomato with sour cream and cheese

Back