Katherine's journey

KatherineK

Hello anyone who happens to drop by and read this. I am quite new to the site, new to Meal replacement diets, but not new to diets.

I am a T2 diabetic, so have been on Atkins, as the low carb approach suits my sugar levels. Never happy with the reasonable weight loss, I spoke with my GP who approved me to try a different approach.

Initially I couldn't believe that I could survive on this kind of diet, but have found it really quite easy. The weight is coming off at a super fast rate of knots, and my sugar levels are dropping.

Sunday will be the end of week 2. I plan to do this for around 8 weeks, as per the Newcastle diet trialed by diabetics using a liquid diet pioneered at the University of Newcastle.

So far so good. I am getting in a good amount of exercise almost every day, and also drinking lots of water.

I am very grateful I have an enlightened and forward thinking GP, many diabetics who want to try this are not getting support. I just hope at the end of the 8 weeks I can justify his faith in me - eek!

Hi Katherine,
good luck on your journey, im on day 3 and finding it surprisingly easy...but ill not speak too soon...im waiting for the hedaches to kick in lol..hopefully ive missed these as im drinking plenty of water, and moving into ketosis...fingers crossed x carol

Hi sortitout, I have been in ketosis for a long time as I was on an ultra low carb diet before this. Almost like Atkins induction, but a little less restricted to suit my diabetes.

You may get the symptoms of Atkins flu initially, but they do soon pass, and drinking lots of water really does help. I aim for around 3 litres a day, today has been slightly more, but I have had a really hard exercise day.

It's not an easy diet, and I am doing it all fluid to replicate the Newcastle diet, so no solid food at all. Not easy, but there again 8 weeks is not forever and the benefits will outweight the hardship (I hope) :)

Ok, today. Easy day hunger wise, infact no hunger at all between shakes. Feeling really bright eyes and bushy tailed. Lots of exercise in today, so great BG figures. This time tomorrow I will have finished 2 weeks, and WI is on Monday. Feeling really positive.

Last edited:
Hello good to hear your feeling positive it's need on this diet lol.
Good luck

Hello Danii and welcome to my crazy world. :)

Well, week two is done. I can't believe a quarter of the diet time has passed, it's just whizzed by. 6 more weeks to go, then how I manage my diet I'm not really sure. Perhaps week one, 2 shakes and one proper meal, week 2 one shake and two proper meals, while keeping a close eye on my sugar levels and my weight. I am debating should I begin adding 200g of low carb veggies to my diet after week 4, or just stay liquid. Decisions, decisions.

Weigh in tomorrow, should be a good one. Last week was 1lb which floored me. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Morning :) its good to plan ahead :) I like your thinking. So is it WI tomorrow then? Good luck

Well WI has been and gone, and another 12lb has gone as well. I truly didn't think this amazing weight loss was possible. I am so thrilled. A totally liquid diet is not for everyone, but it sure works. Eagerly awaiting next WI to see if it's possible to sustain these large losses. What a happy bunny I would be if it happens.

I am really quite small framed, so I can really feel the loss as it's happening. I don't feel like I am carrying a very large sack of potato's any more. :)

Another day of 100% all done. The days are going so quickly, and I feel great. Had a look on the scales tonight, I am now just .4 away from a normal BMI. That is something I really didn't think I would see. I am going to order some water flavour's as the amount I need to drink is getting harder and harder and I am hoping a change might make the water slip down a little easier.

Hope you all have a great Wednesday.

Well done on another 100% day.

Have you got some favorite packs now?

I may get myself some water flavoring and wafer things when I do my order today.

Well done on another 100% day.

Have you got some favorite packs now?

I may get myself some water flavoring and wafer things when I do my order today.

Hi Lyndzi,

I'm not doing pack's just shakes. Even just shakes is really easy. The weight is dropping so quickly, it's really unbelievable.

Day 17 done 100% Today I hit healthy BMI, only by .2 within the healthy range, but I did it!!

Really happy today. :)

Just found your diary-a little confused tho, it says you're on week 2, yet your stats say different? They say you've lost 4st 10 in 2 months(which is phenomenal I might add)
Just wondered??

Just found your diary-a little confused tho, it says you're on week 2, yet your stats say different? They say you've lost 4st 10 in 2 months(which is phenomenal I might add)
Just wondered??

Hi,

Yes, I guess it does look a little confusing - sorry. I was placed on diabetes medication, and one of the side effects is an appetite suppressant. I had quite an extreme reaction, and found it almost impossible to eat, so the weight fell off. I was on Atkins induction, so low carb anyway.

I then read about the Newcastle diet, and decided for my health and pancreas sake, I had to at least try. I use the S&S shakes, hence why I am on the S&S forum. :)

It is my S&S weight loss only in my signature, the stats on the left are all my weight loss, which was mainly down to the diabetes medication. Either way, I am thrilled to have lost so much so quickly. My sugar levels are now lower than most non diabetics, and I feel amazing - result! :)

Another great 100% day. Three shakes only and a lot of water. Feeling so good, and looking forward to goal, where the real work begins. I have a plan for refeeding in place. As a diabetic, I have to be a little more careful to keep my sugar levels stable, but I think I have it worked out about right. About a week before I think I will reach goal, I am going to bake loads of ultra low carb foods and freeze it. Then I know that all I have will be good for me. I will do one meal a day and two shakes, until I feel comfortable moving to to meals and one shake. Once I am on one shake and two meals, I may well stay that way to maintain, and also look after my sugar levels.

Pray I have this theory right, and pray I can eat properly again, after what feels like ages eating like a rabbit, or just shakes :)

Please send me some of your determination, I need to get my head into this and be 100%

Well done x

Hello wow 2 fantastic weightlosses so far :) amazing lol how's your weekend?x

Back