Keeping it off

johnips

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I need the help and was thinking about doing Cambridge. I'm a bit puzzled and confused with all the activity so i thought i would ask the question i'm really interested in. I just want to know if it really works long term?

How many people get to their right weight and keep if for ever? Does anyone know?

Thanks
John

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I need the help and was thinking about doing Cambridge. I'm a bit puzzled and confused with all the activity so i thought i would ask the question i'm really interested in. I just want to know if it really works long term?

How many people get to their right weight and keep if for ever? Does anyone know?

Thanks
John

I suppose it's a bit hard to know how many have kept it off 'forever' as 'forever' is a very long time.

I'm almost at 3 years though, and plan to keep it off forever more :)

Hey...and welcome to the forum!!

I suppose it's a bit hard to know how many have kept it off 'forever' as 'forever' is a very long time.

I'm almost at 3 years though, and plan to keep it off forever more :)

Hey...and welcome to the forum!!

Hi

Are you still using the diet to keep it off? Or are you eating normally now?

I suppose forever to me means I don't have to think about it again.

Thanks

John

Hi

Are you still using the diet to keep it off? Or are you eating normally now?

I suppose forever to me means I don't have to think about it again.

Thanks

John

I haven't been on any diet since I got to goal and completed the refeeding part. It is a lifestyle change though, but no different than after getting to goal with any diet. As long as you do the plans up to maintenance that is:)

Hi, hope uze have room 4 a little/shrinking one? I was curious about maintainance aswell KD. Have u ever had 2 re-start? Have u found it easier or harder 2 keep it off than u had imagined it to be? x x x

I haven't been on any diet since I got to goal and completed the refeeding part. It is a lifestyle change though, but no different than after getting to goal with any diet. As long as you do the plans up to maintenance that is:)

I suppose that's my fear. I read about all these people who seem to do well and then mess it up (me included:break_diet:)and i wonder if changing to Cambridge is going to be any different. That's why i'm asking for success stories rather than reading about lots of people who seem to be struggling.

I want to know what they did to stop messing it up so they don't yo yo any more. There seems to be lots of people constantly dieting and feeling good one minute and then messing it all up and feeling bad again. I want to stop doing this as well that's why i have joined this forum.

Thanks for your help KD, i'm glad it worked for you

Anyone else out there who knows if it is worth me doing Cambridge?

I would recommend this diet to anyone!!!!!!! It is a lifestyle change i would never go back to my old ways when im finally done fresh food for me!!!!!! xxxxx

Hi, hope uze have room 4 a little/shrinking one? I was curious about maintainance aswell KD. Have u ever had 2 re-start? Have u found it easier or harder 2 keep it off than u had imagined it to be? x x x
t

No, I haven't had to restart. Well...not since I got to goal. Well...that's not exactly true :D :D I did SS once more for a couple of weeks. Only because I wanted to give up smoking and so thought it would be good to go way under goal for damage limitation. I hadn't put on any.

Have I found it harder or easier? More possible than I imagined I suppose. Perhaps I made it harder for myself at the beginning as I refused any 'diet' food...wanted to eat as naturally as I could. There were some very hard times battling to defeat my eating disorders. I couldn't remember a time I had eaten normally, so it's been a huge learning curve.

But there's been easy times too and it just gets easier and easier:cool:

I think the hard thing was the sheer foreverness of it, but even that seems easier now.

Perhaps I made it harder for myself at the beginning as I refused any 'diet' food...wanted to eat as naturally as I could.

BTW, I still 'refuse' foods that are processed to become 'diet' foods.

John, i would say even tho ive only been on for 20 weeks, its the best thing i have ever done. I have lost just under 5 stone, and i never thought that would ever be possible. The way i saw it, was id cross the maintainance bridge when i came to it. I no ill always have a problem with my weight, but going from eating 3 soups/shakes etc a day, a salad or low fat pasta dish or whatever would feel like cheating, but these r the things that ill be able to have once im at goal. Then the v bad things eg the odd takeaway or glass of wine in v v moderation. But to me feeling and looking good is gonna be much better im sure than a pizza!!!! lol x x x

I suppose that's my fear. I read about all these people who seem to do well and then mess it up (me included:break_diet:)

Oh me too. I messed up loads of times.

Diet 1. Lose a stone, put on 2
Diet 2. Lose 2 stone put on 3
repeat for 35+ years.
and i wonder if changing to Cambridge is going to be any different.

I don't really think that Cambridge is any different. Yes, it's different in the way you lose weight (superfast), but the maintenance is still the same whatever diet.

I want to know what they did to stop messing it up so they don't yo yo any more.

I think I just got to the point where I knew I couldn't diet again. It was doing my head in. In fact, I was addicted to dieting, and that can't be right:confused: I had had enough.

I don't think I will ever be able to forget that I must maintain. It's still a job I have to focus on and I think that will be the case forever, but it's well worth the effort and most days I'm almost a normal person;)

Being a bit of a geek i like to look at the numbers.

Who has got the numbers of people who have been on the diet and succeeded? Can i get them from Cambridge or does a counsellor have them? Is any diet known to be better than any other?

Does anyone know?

Sorry for all the questions but i have had a bit of a scare and i've got to do something but i'm feeling a bit cynical when i read about people falling off diets and having to start again.

Thanks for putting up with a grump:(
John

Being a bit of a geek i like to look at the numbers.

Me too, but they mean nothing in reality. The fact is that Cambridge does work. I don't think there are any figures for how many succeed on it, like there's not many figures out there for most of the diets.

So if the diet works, the only other thing to work out is whether you can do it :D Not 50% of other dieters, or even 95%...but you. Whether you can do it will depend on so many factors. How much you want it, whether your head is in the right place etc.

Me too, but they mean nothing in reality. The fact is that Cambridge does work. I don't think there are any figures for how many succeed on it, like there's not many figures out there for most of the diets.

So if the diet works, the only other thing to work out is whether you can do it :D Not 50% of other dieters, or even 95%...but you. Whether you can do it will depend on so many factors. How much you want it, whether your head is in the right place etc.

thanks KD

So are you saying it does not matter what diet i use but i need to get my head sorted?

Cheers
John

thanks KD

So are you saying it does not matter what diet i use but i need to get my head sorted?

Cheers
John

Well...sort of :D Don't mean it in a horrible way though :D

For dieting, yes it does matter what you do. We each have to find a diet that suits us. Cambridge was good for me as it felt completely new. It took food out of the equation for a while and I wasn't hungry. Oh...and the weightloss was fast.

SW or WW might be better for others.

But as for maintenance...maintenance is maintenance. There isn't a plan for maintenance like there is the WW plan, or Cambridge plan. It's something you have to figure out for yourself.

They say it's a lifestyle change, but that's still too vague.

I think what KDs tring 2 say is maintainance is all about healthy eating and excercise, about giving your lifestyle an overhaul.

Cambridge worked and is still working for me as the results r so quick, which spurred me on to loose more. And still in week 20 im able to loose 5and a half pounds! Not many diets work like that.

x x x x

Whatever you do you need to be emotionally prepared and want to do it. The diet rollercoaster isnt anything to do with the diets themselves most of the time (apart from the faddy ones) but the way we approach them and handle our feelings whilst we are on them. CD works as its scientific and uses the body's own extremely suffucient self management, but it cant deal with our emotional connection or approach to food. All I know is that everything is telling me to lose weight - my health, my appearance, my friends, family and work! All are showing signs that i need to do this, and finally, it seems to have clicked. its hard work and it makes you address your own level of obssession with food - or this at least has been the case for me. good luck with whichever plan you choose.

I think what KDs tring 2 say is maintainance is all about healthy eating and excercise, about giving your lifestyle an overhaul.

Well, almost ;) :D For me, it wasn't quite as simplistic as that.

Maintenance is about healthy eating and exercise, yes.

Dieting is about eating less.

Of course, we know that dieting isn't quite that straightforward. Same goes for maintenance IMO.

Hi John

I reduced my weight by just over 11 stone, I finished back in April 2006 so just over 2 years now at goal weight.

It is most definately possible to reduce your weight but the long term maintenance is more about how you find moderation than how you choose to lose weight in the first place.

Mike

Back