Keeping weight off for good?

trimlee

Love God; Love People
Lets think about this -seriously. 1,2,3 years after we get to goal, what will we weigh?
Can we share tips on this thread; we need all the help we can get to be the success stories we each want to be. Losing the weight is only one part of the job.

2 resources I discovered that you can listen to on your iPod; one free the other not:
1. Motivation to move: fitness podcast - available to download by free subscription to iTunes. The speaker, Scott Smith is fun and enthusiastic and will motivate you realistically. (Go online to iTunes store, then podcasts, then health, then motivation to move).
2. The Thin Commandments Diet audiobook by Stephen Gullo PhD. £9.95. Go to iTunes store, then audiobooks, then self-development, then The Thin Commandments Diet.

I enjoy listening to these either while driving or at home. Great to listen to, and easier than reading, plus you can repeat sections as you wish if you didn't quite get it the first, second or Nth time!

Don't eat the crap we did before!! i believe its that black and white!! We didnt end up here because we were born this way! It was us that did it and only us that can not do it this time!

True Nic, I agree completely, but it is not that easy. Really not ever going to snack -again, ever??
Found these tips by people who've maintained:
the most important predictors of successful "maintainers." They routinely apply the following practices:

• They practice continuous self-monitoring with a food diary.
    They make regular and frequent contacts with an outside source of support or a fitness or weight loss group.
  • They include regular physical activity for at least 30 minutes, four to five days a week. They stay focused on improving health and energy, with weight loss being a nice accompaniment. Focusing on weight loss as the primary outcome, especially rapid weight loss, usually results in a decreased chance of long-term success.
  • Their desire to lose weight and improve health is for themselves and not someone else.
  • They replace fatty and sugary foods with more healthy substitutions like fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, and other high-fiber foods.
  • They frequently monitor portion sizes and hunger -- this is important in today's world of "super-size" restaurant portions.
  • They find ways to make fitness fun. For example, they join a hiking group, a soccer league, or take dance classes. They don't fear trying new activities.
  • They eat at least three meals a day and even a few snacks in between and do not skip meals. They use problem solving strategies when old behaviors return to haunt them. They succeed at creating and re-assessing goals.
  • They recognize that it is a continuous, life-long journey to pursue better health, not a temporary diet.
  • They never give up on themselves and don't allow occasional slip-ups to end their progress.
  • They accept that no "miracle" weight loss diet or pill exists, and that the time-tested principles of weight loss, while not always exciting, are the only ones that work permanently.
  • They separate their body size from their self-worth. They recognize that their value is about a lot more than what they weigh. When their attitude shifts to self-acceptance at any size, weight loss and maintaining it becomes more natural, and much easier.
  • They have developed passions, interests, and hobbies to help them focus on things other than food.
  • They have found and developed creative ways to manage stress effectively.
  • They have banned the words "never" and "always" from their health vocabulary. That is, everything in moderation. It's not realistic to say you'll never eat ice cream again or that you will always exercise every day. In short, they gave up perfection, but they remain focused without it.

Nicki, you're SO RIGHT! Each time I feel envious of anyone eating, or smell food that smells really good, I think, well, if I hadn't eaten myself nearly to oblivion :cry: I'd be eating like regular people right now :(
So, I never want to have to do this again, which means eating like a "civilian" in future (years ago a WW leader called people who don't have issues with food "civilians") and Im GONNA BE ONE!!
:party0019:

I accept I am bound to put some weight on. But I will monitor it and now I have a better understanding of the affect of prolonged over eating, I will not allow myself to slip so far again. Don't really have a plan as such, other than a weekly weigh-in and far more regular exercise (gym), but have said to my self I would be prepared to throw in a week of LT every 6 months or so to help keep the weight down.

This is one thing that frightens me, putting all the weight back on. I have made a vow to myself that i am going to keep it in check with a weekly weigh in and am determined not to go back to my bingy evenings. I am miserable when i am fat and so much nicer to be around when i am ''normal''. Think a food diary is a good plan so eating does not spiral out of control, writing it down makes it sink in how much one is overeating. Its a constant battle but one i am going to win!

Nicki, you're SO RIGHT! Each time I feel envious of anyone eating, or smell food that smells really good, I think, well, if I hadn't eaten myself nearly to oblivion :cry: I'd be eating like regular people right now :(
So, I never want to have to do this again, which means eating like a "civilian" in future (years ago a WW leader called people who don't have issues with food "civilians") and Im GONNA BE ONE!!
:party0019:

ditto! I never want to do a tfr program again! i think when you find you are gaining again, and you want more treats, you sit and decide, i can have this, but in the long term if i do it means i have to do tfr again.... that will put me off any food!

the thought of the initial discomfort of this diet is enough to keep me away from regular indulgences to temptation!

another idea was when i want a treat, start a treat list, and when its my b'day, xmas, special occasion, go through the list and choose a treat off there. rather than having a treat for no reason other than wanting it.

also... on a rant now! lol i have been reading a lot of nutrition books during the diet, so when i do start eating again, i start eating healthily.

i am reading patrick holford optimum nutrition, you are what you eat, gillian mckeith, and the diet doctors inside and out book. after regular healthy eating your tastes change away from the food that got us here in the first place.

i dont want to start on takeouts, alchohol, cheap chocolate and other rubbish when i finish, i want to feed myself, i never want to starve myself ever again... and this diet - aside from basic nutritional shakes, simulates starvation to get fat loss. the shakes prevents the muscle loss and ill effects of proper starvation.

but lets not kid ourselves, saying its ok to come on and off this diet like its a tool to compensate for our lack of control around food, is the same as saying its ok to binge and starve!

its not ok for me, this is a one way journey that i shall never leave myself open to again!

rant over... :eek:

LOW GI/GL is the way forward!!!1 no sugar cravings and you can lower or higher ..the GI/GL points as you wish...its also very filling due to the high fibre content and not a diet at all..its a way of life!!!!

hey

Lets think about this -seriously. 1,2,3 years after we get to goal, what will we weigh?
Can we share tips on this thread; we need all the help we can get to be the success stories we each want to be. Losing the weight is only one part of the job.

2 resources I discovered that you can listen to on your iPod; one free the other not:
1. Motivation to move: fitness podcast - available to download by free subscription to iTunes. The speaker, Scott Smith is fun and enthusiastic and will motivate you realistically. (Go online to iTunes store, then podcasts, then health, then motivation to move).
2. The Thin Commandments Diet audiobook by Stephen Gullo PhD. £9.95. Go to iTunes store, then audiobooks, then self-development, then The Thin Commandments Diet.

I enjoy listening to these either while driving or at home. Great to listen to, and easier than reading, plus you can repeat sections as you wish if you didn't quite get it the first, second or Nth time!

Hey, I am definitely going to invest in these audio books. Do you listen to personal development audio books much trimlee? I have almost every personal development book and audio set you can imagine. Thats all I listen to, sometimes I put my fav songs on but I listen to stuff like this all the time. I think it is awesome. And I really am focused on ensuring that I maintain my healthy weight when I come off LT. Infact I believe that i am going to keep setting myself goals in relation to my health and fitness so that when I end TFR I am not ending my focus on my personal health improvement. I know I wont have a toned tummy and arms by end of august - im sure there will be some improvement but they wont be really toned - I have never had toned tummy and arms in my life so this is definitley something I want to achieve and I am going to keep working on these areas until I can. I also just signed up for 1 yr membership in my gym and Im going to work out 4-5 times a week for 30 mins. I want to make this a way of life for me. Have you listened to or read stephen covey - the 7 habits of effective people?? It states that 30 mins exercise 4-5 times a week keeps u in top performance not only in health but also in your mind - and to be truly effective and successful in life you must have a good level of health and fitness. I am deffo committed to developing a positive routine to improve and build my body strength and defintion and my health in general.

True Nic, I agree completely, but it is not that easy. Really not ever going to snack -again, ever??
Found these tips by people who've maintained:
the most important predictors of successful "maintainers." They routinely apply the following practices:

• They practice continuous self-monitoring with a food diary.
    They make regular and frequent contacts with an outside source of support or a fitness or weight loss group.
  • They include regular physical activity for at least 30 minutes, four to five days a week. They stay focused on improving health and energy, with weight loss being a nice accompaniment. Focusing on weight loss as the primary outcome, especially rapid weight loss, usually results in a decreased chance of long-term success.
  • Their desire to lose weight and improve health is for themselves and not someone else.
  • They replace fatty and sugary foods with more healthy substitutions like fruits, vegetables, whole-grains, and other high-fiber foods.
  • They frequently monitor portion sizes and hunger -- this is important in today's world of "super-size" restaurant portions.
  • They find ways to make fitness fun. For example, they join a hiking group, a soccer league, or take dance classes. They don't fear trying new activities.
  • They eat at least three meals a day and even a few snacks in between and do not skip meals. They use problem solving strategies when old behaviors return to haunt them. They succeed at creating and re-assessing goals.
  • They recognize that it is a continuous, life-long journey to pursue better health, not a temporary diet.
  • They never give up on themselves and don't allow occasional slip-ups to end their progress.
  • They accept that no "miracle" weight loss diet or pill exists, and that the time-tested principles of weight loss, while not always exciting, are the only ones that work permanently.
  • They separate their body size from their self-worth. They recognize that their value is about a lot more than what they weigh. When their attitude shifts to self-acceptance at any size, weight loss and maintaining it becomes more natural, and much easier.
  • They have developed passions, interests, and hobbies to help them focus on things other than food.
  • They have found and developed creative ways to manage stress effectively.
  • They have banned the words "never" and "always" from their health vocabulary. That is, everything in moderation. It's not realistic to say you'll never eat ice cream again or that you will always exercise every day. In short, they gave up perfection, but they remain focused without it.

I am going to be following a very healthy diet, lots of veg, fish, fruit and once I finish TFR - I think I will do maintenance for a while just to ween myself off the shakes...

x

I find all this positive thinking great,keeping me motivated,day five,feel rough! Thanks everyone!

I too am hoping doing such an extreme diet will be my motivation to maintain a healthy lifestyle, that and I want to be 'fun mum' when I start a family and be able to run around with my kids without feeling like a blob!

so true, i was never too bothered about being obese but now i have my wee boy, i want to be able to run and play with him for more than 5 mins........once its off, its staying off for good x

Hey, I am definitely going to invest in these audio books. Do you listen to personal development audio books much trimlee?

...I have never had toned tummy and arms in my life so this is definitley something I want to achieve and I am going to keep working on these areas until I can.

Have you listened to or read stephen covey - the 7 habits of effective people?? It states that 30 mins exercise 4-5 times a week keeps u in top performance not only in health but also in your mind...

I am going to be following a very healthy diet, lots of veg, fish, fruit and once I finish TFR - I think I will do maintenance for a while just to ween myself off the shakes...

x

Hi Julz, yes I do listen to audiobooks quite a bit! I've got a number on personal development from iTunes, including The 7 habits of highly effective people.

Some of my favourites are:
  • Today Matters: 12 daily practices to guarantee tomorrow's success (John C. Maxwell)
  • The Purpose-driven life: what on earth am I here for? (Rick Warren)
  • John: The Bible Experience
  • Galations to Colossians: The Bible Experience
  • Goals! How to get everything you want faster than you ever thought possible (Brain Tracy)
My top two podcasts:
  • Motivation to Move (Scott Smith)
  • Joyce Meyer Ministries -Enjoying everyday life (*This is particularly uplifting aand life-changing!*)
Toned tummy, arms and thighs are next on my agenda. Been keenly following the exercise stories of super-motivated people like you, Nic and others!

I definitely agree with the increased fish,veg and fruit in the healthy eating plan and the GI-diet priniciples.

Good for us all :)!

Hi Julz, yes I do listen to audiobooks quite a bit! I've got a number on personal development from iTunes, including The 7 habits of highly effective people.

Some of my favourites are:
  • Today Matters: 12 daily practices to guarantee tomorrow's success (John C. Maxwell)
  • The Purpose-driven life: what on earth am I here for? (Rick Warren)
  • John: The Bible Experience
  • Galations to Colossians: The Bible Experience
  • Goals! How to get everything you want faster than you ever thought possible (Brain Tracy)
My top two podcasts:
  • Motivation to Move (Scott Smith)
  • Joyce Meyer Ministries -Enjoying everyday life (*This is particularly uplifting aand life-changing!*)
Toned tummy, arms and thighs are next on my agenda. Been keenly following the exercise stories of super-motivated people like you, Nic and others!

I definitely agree with the increased fish,veg and fruit in the healthy eating plan and the GI-diet priniciples.

Good for us all :)!

Awesome! I love Brian Tracey I have a few of his things, also love Jim Rohn, Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Napolen Hill stuff too is good, and Stephen Covey I got all his stuff. Got loads of others! I get a lot from it and wish more people would listen and learn this stuff - it truly is life changing and the world would be a better place if everyone wanted to be a better person and live life to its full potential. Nice to know I got a buddy! xox

I am going to buy a large roll of tape and stick it over my mouth!!!!

you think I am joking MSB??? xx

not at all ;) just off to the hardware store in the village for some parcel tape...
:giggle:

Back