Kerry's 5:2 Diary

Hey Peeps,
Thought I would give this a try in the hopes that I may get some motivation out of keeping a diary and hearing ideas from other people.
A little about me...I am 27 years old and clinically classed as obese (although I have been lying to myself for about a year and saying that I am not)
I have tried various diets before and have had some good results but I find it tricky to follow them long term...I will miss the weekly weigh in's and group discussions that I will no longer be part of after embarking on this journey but hopefully, this will give me the freedom to carry this on long term!

I have have a rough goal of dropping 3st 3lbs but I have no time line...i just want to do it and stay around that weight (hopefully forever)

My issues are that I have very strange food phobias and pretty much every healthy food that grows from the ground...i can barely touch let alone put in my mouth haha! so this will be also a diary with some experiments of trying to disguise "healthy" foods into meals that I will eat.

I am aiming for 1600 calories on "normal" days and 600 calories on "fast" days - i am aware that for a woman, I am only supposed to allow myself 500 calories however I am 5'11 and doctor suggests that i eat a minimum of 600calories per day!

I will be tracking calories using myfittnesspal...if i track anything wrong, please do let me know.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who wants to reach out and encourage/motivate...

Kerry :)

Soooo I am on day three now...stuck within plan so far!
Monday was a "normal" day - which by any means isnt normal for me because it didnt involve a trip to Mcdonalds or KFC at lunch haha but hey...that's the reason that I am on this journey to begin with!

Monday:
Breakfast: 2 weetabix with skimmed milk (199cals)
One 250ml glass Orange juice (102cals)

Lunch: 2 poached eggs on wholemeal toast with a scraping of lurpack lighter and a pink lady apple (464 calories)

Dinner: 1/2 a slimming world frozen tikka masala (180cal) with 3 potato waffles (291cals)

Snacks throughout the day:
1 kallo ricecake with choc and caramel pieces - these are literally the only thing that gets me through the day! (65cals)
1 banana (89cals)
1 weightwatchers sticky toffee cheesecake (185 cals)
and 3 marshamallows (53cals)

Total = 1,629 cals

Tuesday = Dreaded Fast Day!!!!!!

I had an early trip to the dentist yesterday morning - which was enough to put me off anything solid for at least a few hours. I am petrified of the dentist so this actually did me a big favour for my fast day!
I work two jobs...so by day I am a personal assistant and on Tues, Weds and Friday evenings I work in a carribean take away torturing myself with the smell of exotic curries and sweet treats!
I decided that my fast days will be Tues and Weds this week (and probably most weeks) because it is easier to keep busy and not think about food when i am at work from 08:30am until 10pm!

Breakfast consisted of 2 milk and honey breakfast bicuits (110cals)
Lunch was a pack of cooked Jerk Chicken breast (166cals)
Snacks were 2/3rds of a pack of Eleanors Apple Crumble by Graze (dried apple and cinnamon coated walnuts) (94 cals)
and 5 cola bottles - i think i over estimated this but put it into myfitness pal at 30g to be on the safe side - (103cals)

I also ate 1 sweet potato fry! i dont know how many calories are in that but i didnt count it as was over 100calories below my 600cal mark!
Total 473cals

Wednesday = Fast Day
Was really craving yesterday after fast day 1...but managed to make it through the day without going terribly over my calorie intake!
Have started the new "Oil Pulling" trend from COCOWhite as well and yesterday was my first day...it consists of putting a big spoonful of solid coconut oil in your mouth first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and swirling it around in your mouth from 5-15 mins...as you can imagine...its not the nicest of experiences and i had to keep it near the front of my mouth for the majority of the time to stop me from wretching!
However...it did make me feel quite sick which did me a favour for Fast day no 2! haha!

Breakfast was a Weetabix on the GO shake (222cal)
Lunch: 4 crackerbread (76cal) with a small scraping of philly light on them - 30gs over all (46cal) and 4 slices of ham (85cal)
Snacks: 1 of my life saving kallo ricecakes with choc and caramel (65cals) and then unfortunatley went a bit downhill in the evening at work when my boss bought a jumbo tub of MOAM's - i probably ate about 6 of them but on MFP there was an option for 10 sweets so i chose that (150cal)

Total - 644cal - overall i am quite happy with this only 44cals over what i was supposed to have!

Have noticed that because of the lack of healthy foods that i generally eat, I am finding that i get really really hungry...i spoke to my personal trainer and he suggested that i get some protein bars....ordered some yesterday from proteinpickandmix.com and have had one today as a snack (non fast day) and have to say...they really are fab! i am feeling SO full up!
Will post today's diary tomoz

Would be great to get some replies - hopefully one kind person can help keep me motivated haha!
have a good day peeps x

Hey fellow calorie counters...

So Wednesday was my second fasting day of the week - i went over by 40 calories but I am not too phased with that!
Started my day with a Weetabix Breakfast On The Go shake (222calories) -
Lunch was 4 crackerbread (76cal) with a scraping of philly light (46cal) and 4 slices of lean ham (85cal)
Snack was one of my life saving Kallo Rice Cakes with the caramel and choc sprinkles (65cal)
my boss bought a HUGE tub of Moams into work - these are my favourite sweets of all time! i had about 6 of them but on MFP there is only an option for 10 - so i counted 10 just to be on the safe side (150cal)

Total = 644cal

Thursday = BAD DAY
I always knew that this day was going to be a bad once because I had plans to go for italian with the girlies...we dont do it often and it is bad timing that it happened in the first week of my diet...but hey ho...i guess its out of the way for another couple of months lol!

Breakfast = 1 banana (100cal) and a muller light vanilla yoghurt (92cal)

Lunch = 1 Khobez wrap with spicy grilled chicken and a sprinkle of cheese (511cal)

Snack = 2 crumpets with peanut butter = 386
1 protein bar = 190cal

the dreaded Dinner:
Ask Italian Calzone = 735cal - it would have been more but i only ate 2/3rds of it so i counted 0.8 of a serving to make sure i had counted enough calories
1 scoop of Raspberry Sorbet and 1 scoop Mango Sorbet = 196cal

this totaled to a whopping 2,200 calories!

However - i did a big workout as well which my trainer said would have burnt about 350cal

Back on it today though which is the main thing! Really noticing the effect that naughty food has on the body as well...my stomach was so bloated after the big dinner yesterday and i felt awful when i woke up this morning!

Hi there. Well done on your first few days and counting your meal out properly. 2200 is not that bad including the meal and it would have been more if you hadn't looked up the calories.

How did you feel during your fast days?

Hi Nettee,

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes You are 100% right! If I wasn't counting calories and being aware of what I was eating I probably would have had full fat coke, had a starter...eaten my Calzone until I couldn't fit any more in and then had a big fat cheesecake haha!

My first fast day is usually ok, but second one is usually a tricky one! Being at work in the evening does help (even though it is a food shop) just because it keeps me busy!

Are you still doing Slimming World?

Soo I realise I didn't post all weekend! Sorry about that but I tend to forget when I am at home!

Friday
Breakfast = Banana (100cal) and Muller Light (97cal)
Lunch = Walkers Stars (94cal) Tangerine (34cal) Milk Choc Rice Cake (65cal)
Dinner = Iceland Bombay Potato and Chicken mix 300g (294cal)
Snacks = 3 shortbread cookies (426cal) Half a graze Jaffa cake flapjack (160cal) and 1 cod fishcake (77cal)

Exercise = Long 40mins walk at moderate pace and 10mins on cross trainer
Total food = 1,347cal

Saturday =
Hungry Horse - Beef burger and chips = 1415 cal

That was all I ate for the whole day, not very nutritious but had a busy day!

Sunday =
Roast Chicken Breast (231cal)
1 potato roasted (89cal)
6 Yorkshire puddings (not all at once but throughout the day I was picking at the left overs and yes was a fatty) 258cal
drizzle of chicken gravy (207cal)

Desert = slice of Daim Cake (440cal)

Total = 1,225cal

Not the best weekend health wise but managed to stay within calorie limits
Forgot to say that I am not going to do weekly weigh ins because this sometimes de-motivates me when I don't have results I like!

I am going to do monthly weigh ins!

New week now! will power is high at the moment but need to keep it up!
have a good day peeps xx

Monday

So trying to be slightly healthier this week and eat a little more fruit than usual!

Breakfast = Muller Light - the orange with dark choc sprinkles (99cal)
Lunch = 1 chicken breast by itself - was quite big though so I counted 1 cup and a half (346cal)
300g of pineapple (138cal)
1 Pink n White Jammie (55cal) - these are now my other lifesaver!!!
Dinner = 3 crumpets (294cal) with reduced fat cheese (243cal)
Desert = 100g toblerone cake (440cal)

Total = 1615cal

Fast day is today! will update tomoz and let everyone know how I got on! have a good skinny day peeps xx

I know how you feel about the exercise!! I did a mini work out yesterday but my trainer has given me a toning routine to do today! not looking forward to it all haha!

so far for breakfast I have had a Weetabix shake...im just going to try and up my water levels to keep me slightly bloated through the day, for lunch I am going to have another shake (had some left over from Cambridge diet) and then I think I will have a few strawberries before I go to my second job.

Im probably gonna go for a long walk as well at lunch time while the weather is nice to make the most of it!

I have it all planned out in my head - however I am not sure if it will actually go to plan lol! I need all the luck I can get lol xx

Good morning peeps - feeling chuffed with myself today for completing fast day 1 of 2 yesterday successfully!

breakfast I had a Strawberry Weetabix to go shake (222cal)
Lunch I had a chocolate mint Cambridge shake (138cal)
Dinner consisted of one bite of steak and 2 bits of chopped potato - im not sure how many calories this is but I counted 100 to be on the safe side! (100cal)
Snack - 1 Pink n White Jammie (55cal) and 1 thorntons Orange Seville Chocolate (68cal)
Total = 583cal

Now I would not have eaten the chocolate had I known in advance that it was 68cal but it was too late once it was already in my mouth haha! 1 think is for sure...calorie counting sure is putting me off certain foods that I would normally eat lots of!
Beforehand I would have told myself that a couple of choccies won't hurt...not knowing that 3-4 chocs would amount to nearly 300 calories!!!

I am on fast day number 2 today...I think it will be a struggle but I am just telling myself that I can eat normally again tomorrow and that is keeping me motivated...it would be great if I could hear from a few people to see how they get through the days as well!

Have a great (but skinny) day xx

awww thanks!! It is tough but its just the most practical for me! I don't want to fast on a Friday and the days I work late are Tues, Weds and Fri!
If I am at home and bored then I will eat...so never a good idea to fast when I am not at work!

I always forget to mention my exercise as well but I did a lot of toning exercises yesterday which have made me all achey today :-(

Will pop to the gym at lunch time and do 10mins of rowing but don't like to do too much cardio on a fast day!

How are you getting on? x

Good afternoon people,
Hope you are all having a great day!
I am feeling good about myself today - a colleague at work was in Germany last week and he came back into the office yesterday and said I look like I have lost weight!
I don't even mind if I haven't because that alone makes me feel better haha!

yesterday's fast was very successful - the most successful day I have had so far! I worked until 10pm and when I got home I was really tempted to indulge in a rice cake or another Pink n White but I resisted temptation and just took my big bottom to bed!

I have been looking at lots of things online to keep me motivated...I find that ********* and ********* are great for finding motivational pictures! one made me chuckle yesterday...it said if you are on a diet and are feeling hungry....eat in front of your mirror naked! that would be enough to put me off my food for sure!

Yesterdays food:
140g strawberries (46cal)
1 Alpen Light bar (cherry Bakewell) (88cal)

Lunch:
Cookies and Cream Quest Bar - now I know that most people probably think protein bars are only for people who use the gym...but this is so untrue! Quest bars, although quite pricey as they are from America...they have 21g protein and really do keep you full up for hours...and only 190calories :)

I didn't have dinner but I did have about 3 sweet potato chips, a pot of sugar free jelly (8cals) and a drumstick lolly (75cal) I estimated 20cal for the sweet potato chips so..

Total: 415cal

I have to say...it feels good to be eating again today :)

Hello people,
Sorry it has been such a while since I have posted! It's always tricky for me to find the time at the weekends!

overall I had an ok weekend! yesterday I went slightly over on my calories but I am not too fussed as it wasn't by a lot at all!

I also found a 27 calorie brownie recipie which actually tasted amazeballs! I will be making them regularly!

Here is my diary of the past 4 days:

Thursday 23rd
Breakfast was 120g of Strawberries (40cal) with a pot of Golden Syrup porridge by Fuel (221cal)

Lunch was Khobez Wrap with chicken and cheese and a tiny bit of garlic mayo which worked out at (510cal)

Dinner was a cottage pie which I had made, was extra lean minced beef, carrots, onions, beef stock cubes, and bisto along with a few herbs and spices topped with mashed potato (603cal)

Snacks = reduced fat cookie from M&S (103cal) and 2 slices of home made banana cake (390cal)

Total = 1867cal - so went slightly over today but was way better than I would have been normally so didn't kick myself too much!

Friday 24th April
Breakfast = 1 glass orange juice - 102cal
1 slice banana cake - 195cal
200g fresh pineapple - 100cal

Lunch = 2 hard boiled eggs (136cal) 2 slices wholemeal bread (196cal) 1.5 teaspoon lurpack light (57cal)
1 pack of walkers bakes cheese and onion crisps (154cal)

Snacks - 1 bag of coconut and vanilla popcorn (109cal) = this stuff is AMAZE! and lasts for ages too!
had a bit of a sweetie binge as well and ate 10 stripes of MOAM's (276cal)

Total = 1016
Way under calorie intake today! wohoo!

Saturday 25th
Breakfast = 30g porridge oats (118cal) with 100g Rachel's Fat Free peach and passion fruit yoghurt (82cal)

Dinner = Grilled Asda Extra special Beef Burgers x 2 (450cal), 1.5 50/50 soft rolls (231cal) 4 baked onion rings (132cal) and 3 low fat cheese slices (117cal)
Was a slightly naughty dinner but tasted so bloomin good!

Snacks =3 of the 27calorie brownies - which may I add are absolutely amazing! (81cal) and 1 chocolate rice cake (65cal)

Total = 1276 calories
Way under schedule again! even with an amazing dinner :)

Sunday 26th April
Breakfast = 1 brownie 27cal and the left over beef burger from yesterday (225cal) (weird breakfast I know but it was more of a lunch as I didn't get out of bed until about 12 (lazy I know)

Dinner = 4 roast potatoes (356cal) Roasted pork (211calories) sage and onion stuffing (57calories) roast parsnips (125cal) 4 little Yorkshire puddings (216cal) 100ml gravy (26cal)

Snacks = small slice of lemon cheesecake (258calories)
2 laffy taffy ropes (American sweets - 160cal)
2 x alpin chocolates (134cal)
3 x twix celebrations (90cal)

Total = 1890calories
Went over but not too fussed about it!

also did lots of walking, had a personal training session and did some gardening over the weekend so was quite active!

Morning all!
How is everyone doing??

So just a little update - I have invested in a FITBIT - they are on sale in lots of places at the min and are around £60 - I have had it for a week now and I have to say...I am loving it! I have linked it in with MFP and it automatically counts how many extra calories I should be allowed from the amount of steps I have taken, it has a vibrating alarm which is AMAZING!!!! A little strange at first but its much nicer to be woken up by little vibrations on your wrist than a noisy alarm!

You can add friends who also have fitbits and have challenges and see who can do the most steps in the day etc. it really is worth the money!

So Monday was a non-fast day! I did go slightly over with the calories (whoops) I couldn't help myself!
Breakfast = Banana Weetabix on the go shake (I love these bad boys!) (223cal)

Lunch was pulled spicy lamb in a small naan bread (558cal)

Dinner was minted lamb (made myself) in a sourdough roll(624cal)

Snacks = 0% fat Activia Peach yoghurt (70cal) and a white chocolate melting middle Gu (451cal)

Now although the Gu was the naughty ridiculous caloried treat - it was worth every single little bite! It was a white chocolate and coconut treat sent from the heavens above lol!

I wish I only got 1 per pack as the other 1 is currently sitting in my fridge calling me loudly and I don't want to throw it away lol!

Total = 1926cal

Tuesday = Fast Day no.1
Urrrrrrrrrrgh the dreaded fast day!!!!!!!!!

woke up really annoyed that I was going to have to starve myself of temptation and almost gave in straight away!
Then a lady at work (who is skinny and beautiful) commented on how well I looked and that I have lost lots of weight! That gave me a kick up the bum and set me on my way!

Breakfast = Vanilla Weetabix on the go shake (226cal)

Lunch = Vanilla Activia 0% Fat yoghurt (68cal)
100g watermelon (33cal)

Snacks = 2 slices of my 37calorie brownie (AMAZINGGG) and 1 pot of bubbles of joy choc orange mousse (90cal)

Total = 471cal

I also did 11,000 steps yesterday as went for a long walk at lunch time and could have had an extra 425cals (gutted it was a fast day now lol)

Hello again, well done for stickng with it this week. I have had a bit of a wobble over the last couple of weeks and have not been here much but am now back on the case. Slimming world for me but I do try to go for two "red" days each week which are much more restrictive (but I am sure way over 600kcal)

Hey hun,

Just been reading your diary. I am doing 5:2 aswell.. did it a long time ago and lost 2 stones with it!

You are doing veryyy well indeedy.. nice to see other people doing the same diet, helps with motivation and not to mention food ideas! ;)

Keep up the good work!

Back