keto safe mixers for vodka?

Maia Riley

i have a couple of events coming up and have read that vodka is ok as no carbs, but any thing i would usually mix it with (tonic/lime cordial & soda/OJ) is out, so i wondered if anyone could suggest anything as i'm out of ideas!
Mx

sorry Determinator must have posted the same time xx

:(
ok.. well, thank you for the info..
i am going to have to think very hard about whether to come out of keto and start again, or just to suck it up and stay sober!! it's my partners birthday on friday and it will be hard watching him drink! i can cope with watching him eat but drinking?? hmmm.. haha
i had read things other places - one being in the list of keto safe foods - that vodka and wine are good drinks as they have hardly any carbs..?
i can handle my drink very very well; do you think if maybe i had a keto safe meal, like a bit of steak or fish, to line my stomach, it might be ok?

It's my birthday Friday and I'm going out for a meal with friends and DH, I have the dilemma of eating lunch time to come out of ketosis so I can have a glass of wine with my food in the evening. Or do I drink sparkling water all night which will make me miserable because what I eat will prob knock me out of ketosis anyway!!

oh! now, if it were my own birthday i have to say there would be no question.. i'm afraid to say i would not be strong enough to resist, and would definitely come out of ketosis ;)
but you have to think about what you would rather do, of course!
it's such a dilemma, isn't it.. whatever the reason, making the decision to come out and have to start again is a tricky one.. i guess, as long as it is only for that occasion and doesn't turn into days, it should be ok?
life is short, after all...
oh, and, happy birthday for friday :) xx

I must confess I think there is more than a little scaremongering surrounding this topic. Alcohols are metabolised into ketones and therefore are used by the body as a preference to releasing them from fatty acids. You may find that a few drinks makes you a little more tipsy than you may usually get.

There are always going to be a few stories circulating about horrific consequences but they are extremely rare. 99% of bodybuilders following a ketogenic diet go out drinking shorts with diet mixers every week all over the world

What will happen is that your weight loss will be postponed until the calories in your alcohol are used. I guess it's up to you how much you want to lose and how quickly

Rob

I must confess I think there is more than a little scaremongering surrounding this topic. Alcohols are metabolised into ketones and therefore are used by the body as a preference to releasing them from fatty acids. You may find that a few drinks makes you a little more tipsy than you may usually get.

There are always going to be a few stories circulating about horrific consequences but they are extremely rare. 99% of bodybuilders following a ketogenic diet go out drinking shorts with diet mixers every week all over the world

What will happen is that your weight loss will be postponed until the calories in your alcohol are used. I guess it's up to you how much you want to lose and how quickly

Rob

I still wouldn't want to risk my health/life just for a few drinks while on exante.

They say no alcohol so I am following the rules.

I drank on atkins, its about informed choices. Id say sneak in some coke zero to mix lol x

oh! now, if it were my own birthday i have to say there would be no question.. i'm afraid to say i would not be strong enough to resist, and would definitely come out of ketosis ;)
but you have to think about what you would rather do, of course!
it's such a dilemma, isn't it.. whatever the reason, making the decision to come out and have to start again is a tricky one.. i guess, as long as it is only for that occasion and doesn't turn into days, it should be ok?
life is short, after all...
oh, and, happy birthday for friday :) xx

You're right life is short.... it'll be even shorter if you drink while in ketosis and you get very, very sick!!

The rules regarding alcohol and ketosis are there for a reason.. drinking in ketosis could be fatal for you! Everyone is different and they react differently to different things, what some may have done and came through the other side may not go so well for you.

I agree. It's about recognising that you can't drink the same amount that you did before you started this diet - your ratios of water:fat in your body compartments has altered, you've not got enough "padding" in the form of food in your gut to soak up alcohol, and your cells are using a different method of energy production.

One drink is not going to kill you, but it may give you the worst hangover you've ever had because your body is working a different way at the moment, and you throwing alcohol into the mix might not be appreciated.

I've been drinking most weekends for the last month - many reasons, including the fact that I enjoy alcohol, but I used to enjoy too much of it, and probably more so than food portion control, I need to learn to drink smaller amounts.

Gods honest truth now, whilst I love food, it's always been alcohol that's done me in. I'm not an alcoholic, and I don't drink to get drunk (it's purely a social thing for me) but I have a tendency to drink way too much because I don't tend to get the nasty side-effects that other people do like vomiting, black outs or hangovers. I don't tend to make an idiot of myself or start fights, I just enjoy a drink, and can keep drinking until I decide to stop.

When I've gone through periods where I've stopped drinking alcohol previously (such as during exam revision or when commuting a long distance so always needing to be safe to drive), I'd lose a stone in a month without any other changes to my diet, no problem.

So the last few weekends I've gone out (one of which was my birthday), and I've been drinking single gin and slimline tonic or a small/medium dry white wine. And you know what? I've never had more than ten units in one night (and actually have usually stuck to five and not wanted any more than that). I've not died. I've not woken up feeling like the inside of a dog's mouth. I've not gained weight.

But you need to compare that to what I'd have drunk if I'd not been on Exante, which would have easily been in excess of forty units a time (over the course of a sunny day, where you go for a pub lunch with friends and then later fall through the front door at 6am).

Alcohol is a bad idea on diets because it's empty calories, it weakens resolve and lends to people falling off the diet wagon, and it does cause hypoglycaemia (which is why diabetics on insulin shouldn't drink to excess). There is no advantage to you in drinking it (lots of disadvantages in fact), but by the same measure if you want a drink, it's not going to kill you. But stop at one drink, don't drink to get drunk, and drink because you want to, not because you think that you should.

Please remember that alcohol kills all by itself, without even bringing what diet you're on into it (in fact, people who are completely alcohol dependant do not eat food - they gain the calories they need to live from what they drink.) It is an incredibly dangerous drug, and should be treated with far more respect than it actually is, which is why your average A&E on a Friday/Saturday night is a version of hell on earth.

thank you, i definitely agree with you..
i also had the same issue with alcohol before. again, not alcoholic but drinking waaaaay too much, and i think that is one of the major factors in my weight. yes, i was eating too much of the wwrong stuff, but before i started drinking years ago i was a tiny size 8!

Mx

Personally I just wouldnt risk my health or safety for the sake of a drink when Im in ketosis. Seriously is alcohol SO important that it cant be given up for just a few months while were on this?? No, one drink wont kill you but there are lots of stories documented around Minimins of how ill people have been. blacked out, ended up in hospital due to just a drink or 2. These arent 'oh I heard' or 'the friend of a friend' these are peoples own actual experiences.

Id far rather go without than risk my health or end up hospitalised or do it sensibly and come out of ketosis. Ketosis really isnt the be all and end all in this diet that some people make it out to be. You can still have great losses on it when youre out of ketosis. Any time Ive come out for a special occasion Ive found that the calories consumed in alcohol (and the carbs) has had really no impact on my weight loss. The calorie deficit on Exante is so huge that even a day when you have a lot more youre still under your BMR. Ive found that if I do kick myself out deliberately then Im back in within a day or so. Its just a total no brainer for me which option to take quite honestly.

I am not convinced that I am risking my health by having a single drink. The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data', and to me, all the stories of "one drink nearly killed me" are extremely easily explained by:

a) the fact the effects of alcohol are notoriously unpredictable even when on a normal diet (anyone who drinks regularly has experienced that moment where they realise that they're a lot drunker than they thought they'd be after a single drink)

b) a ketogenic diet dramatically alters fluid balance in body tissues, affecting the osmolality of the blood in your vascular system to the extent that many of us will feel unwell unless we drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day anyway; alcohol will greatly enhance this effect as it promotes excretion of water, and if you're someone that hasn't drunk enough water that day you are very shortly going to really regret not having done so.

The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of ethanol aren't that complex, but neither are they easy to explain. However, it is something I have detailed knowledge of and so I am happy for me to drink alcohol, because I know that I can drink safely by a) drinking slowly b) drinking extra water c) not drinking excessively.

However, I'm not happy to say to others to drink alcohol because unless you have an understanding of the mechanism of why something is bad for you if you do it a certain way, then you will get it wrong and it will potentially end badly.

That said, someone asked a not unreasonable question to the board, and everyone immediately jumped down her throat telling her how awful the concept was; I felt it only fair that I point out that potentially it wasn't necessarily an awful idea, but only as long as you were sensible about it. I'm not going to list my qualifications as to how I have come to make that judgement, but then, no one else has listed their qualifications to be able to authoritatively assert doom and gloom either.

Ultimately, if a 12yr old told you they were thinking about having sex, your immediate reaction would be "For the love of God, no, that's a hideous idea." But if you don't follow that up with a quick tutorial about the concept of condoms, then it will inevitably end badly. People are always going to do things that are bad for them, but since prohibition doesn't work the next best thing is telling them how to do it as safely as possible.

Thus I repeat my assertions:

1) Alcohol kills, no matter what diet you're on, if you don't respect it
2) If you're going to do it: Stop at one drink, don't drink to get drunk, and drink because you want to, not because you think that you should

And to answer your question: Yes. Alcohol is that important to me that I can't give it up for a few months. I will also allow myself to drink 1 or 2 units a week when pregnant and fancy a drop, which I'm sure makes me all kinds of evil. On the flip side, I never drink if I'm going to be driving within the next 12 hours, and I never drink more than one drink if I'm working the next day. I may have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, but I'm not irresponsible with it.

Back