Ketone sticks/strips?

Where do you buy ketone sticks/strips from on the net? i'm from UK so need a UK site :) not exspensive either lol

xx

You can buy them in Boots, they will be behind the counter so ask the pharmacist, they are about £5 - I hope this helps :)

I got mine from Asda pharmacy for £5.

One tip if you cut them in half lengh ways, obviously you get double the amount and they last longer :D

Whoo hoo jelly tot
brill idea

I just bought some from boots they were £5.45

I have seen alot of people talk about them but i am not really sure what they are for are to do with them? sounds like a silly question lol

xx

I have seen alot of people talk about them but i am not really sure what they are for are to do with them? sounds like a silly question lol

xx
They are to test for ketosis and you wee on them :rolleyes:

When fat is released from fatty (adipose) tissue it travels to the liver where it can be used to make more fat or be ‘burned’ producing energy. The energy production pathway produces ketones. Everyone has some ketones in their blood at all times, but usually at low levels. The levels rise when fasting or while on a low carbohydrate diet designed to induce ‘ketosis’. ‘Ketosis’ is a term applied to a state where the ketone blood levels are high enough to allow ketones to leave the body on the breath or in urine. Physiological ketosis is a normal protectic mechanism reflecting the way in which the body switches its metabolism to ‘burning fat’. The effect of high levels of ketones varies from person to person. Some people feel euphoric, others may not feel hungry.

xx

They are little sticks that test for excess ketones. For some people it will confirm that they are possibly in ketosis, but they aren't really to check for ketosis as such...just excess ketones...so not particularly accurate.

Wow kd
very impressed with your 8 stone loss
well done you!

Ta muchly Maggie :)

All done without one positive reading pee'd stick :cool: :D

I hate those stix!

Ta muchly Maggie :)

All done without one positive reading pee'd stick :cool: :D

I hate those stix!
:D Shows how different we are, if I have a wobble whilst in keto I use one, see it pink (Im lucky I do show a colour) and it keeps me on the straight and narrow.

On the other side I know where you are coming from though, as some people never even show any colour which could have a negative effect I suppose.

:D Shows how different we are, if I have a wobble whilst in keto I use one, see it pink (Im lucky I do show a colour) and it keeps me on the straight and narrow.

On the other side I know where you are coming from though, as some people never even show any colour which could have a negative effect I suppose.

True, and there's those who cheat knowing how to still get a pink on the stix and feel they are 'safe', then wonder why they are not losing weight. They think that as long as they are in ketosis (which the stix don't test for), then they're losing weight and that isn't necessarily the case.

I wonder if you should do it on the 1st pee of the day?
I.e when it's concentrated

Last edited:
I wonder if you should do it on the 1st pee of the day?
I.e when it's concentrated

Most people on here will say first thing in the morning, but ketone concentrations are usually smaller in the morning and reach their highest level at midnight. People do vary though, with some showing a higher concentration in the morning and less at night. So...ummm.

Others have no excess as ketosis happens in the blood and will only show on the stix if you have an overflow into the urine. If you use your ketones efficiently, then you'll have no excess ketones on the stix at all.

Also, some people get a pink recording if they eat loads of fat as the ketostix don't know the difference between stored fat and dietary fat.

So there ya go, probably more there than you ever need to know about ketostix :D

My CDC said that it's best to do it first pee of the day, the ketones will be more concentrated too. But I think it's a bit dangerous relying on ketostix. If you are doing the diet 100% your body should go into ketosis and stay there. So using the stix to check once is great, after that so long as you haven't cheated there's no real need as you should still be in ketosis.

what an interesting thread.. I was just puzzling over coming out of ketosis last week for no apparent reason and it took me 4 days to get back in. So after reading this I might assume that my body was very efficient in using the ketones in those 4 days? Or shall I take it at face value and try and find the reason for a beige reading? :confused:

what an interesting thread.. I was just puzzling over coming out of ketosis last week for no apparent reason and it took me 4 days to get back in. So after reading this I might assume that my body was very efficient in using the ketones in those 4 days? Or shall I take it at face value and try and find the reason for a beige reading? :confused:

Were you going by the stix when you say you came out of ketosis? If so, you probably weren't out of it at all.

It may be that your body uses your ketones efficiently. It may be that you don't make a lot of ketones (no problem with that...doesn't make any difference to weight loss). It maybe that you move around more than some...exercise more. I may be that the TOTM changed the reading.

People that are on a keto diet for a while often get negative readings as the body gets better at using the ketones.

It could be a number of reasons for it.

You may have even come out of it :D...but the stix wont necessarily tell you as they don't measure ketosis...only excess ketones.

Whether you need to know why you had a beige reading will depend on what diet you are doing, but since ketosis has little to do with weightloss, I think it's more accurate to gauge how you feel.

Thanks, KD

I'm on Avidlite VLCD and at the moment having 2 shakes, a soup and a bar a day. So in theory should be in ketosis on that.

The ketostix showed pink until sat last week and I checked every 3-6 days since they have to be used up anyway! Then sat it was beige all the way until today when it's pink again. My activity levels are the same, totm is imminent but not here yet.

I suppose as you say I might have got better at using the ketones by the end of week 4 and am now not so efficient again! :D TBH not reading too much into it as the weight is still being lost but it's nice to know what's going on and for what reasons iykwim!

Kat

Back