Ketone test Sticks...

I was also wondering about the Ketone test sticks. Are they worth getting? I'd like to know if I am in ketosis, but I am afrid that I may become obssessed and start peeing on a stick 5 times a day!

I was also wondering about the Ketone test sticks. Are they worth getting?

No in my opinion. They're a pain. They are often inaccurate for what people need to know for this diet (after all, they are supposed to be for diabetics)

Atkins don't recommend them any more
Serious low carbers generally don't use them
The results can be misguiding.
People get stressed over them
People get obsessed with them
They do nothing to help you lose weight
Money is better spent buying clothes :D

Thanks girls, also is there a difference about being in ketosis? I mean does it make a difference to your weight loss? x

Very much as Bailey says.

One of the other problems with ketostix is that people assume that if they are in ketosis, they are losing weight.

Yes, they are burning fat, but you can do that out of ketosis. After all, many successful dieters on other diets never go into ketosis.

In fact you can put on weight in ketosis if you are having enough calories.

The calorie cut is the weight reducing bit. The ketosis bit is the part that makes it easier to cut the calories so low because the side effect of ketosis is usually reduced hunger and cravings.

So if you need a stick to see whether you are hungry, then get a tub;)

BUT you can't be sure of the readings anyway. For example

Pink: Probably in ketosis (possibly not)
Beige: Possibly in ketosis (possibly not)
Dark Pink: Possibly dehydrated (possibly not)

I hate the flipping things. Never showed pink for me once when I was on the diet. Grrrr...what a waste of money.

Cool. I think I will give them a miss then. I am sure bad breath will let me know if I am in ketosis!

Intresting thread had a good read i was day 1 yesterday ssing did a stick first thing today.!

And im on the third pink colour so thinking im in it ??
am i correct? i did ssing back in May! xx

Cool. I think I will give them a miss then. I am sure bad breath will let me know if I am in ketosis!

Yep, and less hunger. After all, that is the main benefit that we get from ketosis. Okay, the body needs it on few carbs, but from our heads point of view it's to reduce hunger and cravings.

Personally, I didn't care whether I was in it or out of it, as long as I wasn't hungery does it matter? It's not as if it means you are losing weight or anything. Not directly.

No in my opinion. They're a pain. They are often inaccurate for what people need to know for this diet (after all, they are supposed to be for diabetics)

Atkins don't recommend them any more
Serious low carbers generally don't use them
The results can be misguiding.
People get stressed over them
People get obsessed with them

I totally agree with KD. Mine have NEVER, and I do mean NEVER been anything but beige, which led me to obssessing madly and peeing on 5-6 day. I just gave up, it was a waste of money for me.

Back