Ketosis Headaches - when do they strike?

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
I was wondering, and this may not be possible to answer, but I was wondering if there tends to be a trend, or an average number of days for when the horrible headaches I have read about occir, when going in to Ketosis?
I am trying to book a day off in anticipation to cope with that, as I really suffer with headaches anyway and I work on the PC and phone allllll day, and really would rathart not cope with that too.
It seems most people said they experience that in the first week? Does it tend to last for a day, or more? I know everyone is different, but just wondering if there tends to be a trend.
I am joining my group Monday evening so will start the packs Tuesday. I didn;t know if I should book off Friday, or Monday, in anticipation? I only have one days leave otherwise I would book thrm both and really do not want to call in sick!!
Maybe I am a big sissy - but I just hate being at work feeling crappy, and then getting yelled at by customers all day too - never a nice combo!!!
So, any advice?

Well it does vary from person to person...and NOT everyone gets the headaches.

I am on day 2 of SSing and I have woken up with a stonking headache. I know it will pass, I will make sure that I drink lots of water today and they will help. Also take a couple of pain killers. It will proably be fine tomorrow.

I didnt get any headaches, infact i didnt get any side effects at all. A couple of people in my group had a 'light headed' feeling about day 3-4

I had headaches for day 2 and 3, but I just took ibuprofen and they weren't really a problem!

I was exactly the same as Deb. If you've really cut down the carbs now, you shouldn't have too terrible a time, as it's mainly a carb withdrawal headache.

So if you start the packs on Tuesday, you might have a headache on Wednesday or Thursday - take your pick! But as Deb says, they weren't terrible and if you get the day wrong it shouldn't be too bad. Just take pills with you all week and with a bit of luck you'll be fine.

One other thing - if you normally drink a lot of tea and coffee, don't give it all up. You don't want a caffeine withdrawal headache on top! I make vanilla shakes into lattes, and they are really nice!

I got an absolute stonker on the evening of Day 1, went to bed and woke up fine. Just to add I have always suffered with headaches but since starting CD have seen a dramatic improvement and hardly ever have to take painkillers now.

Gx

My headache was day 3.
I suffer from migraines anyway but since on Ll they have not been as bad as usual.
Some painkillers helped but the headache was not bad enough to keep me from work ( and I teach 10/11 year olds!!!)
Good luck and it is worth it.

Porgeous - those photos are amazing!! and I love your signature says it all really.

cool - thanks for all you thoughts peeps. I feel more encouraged - I was really beginning to think I was going to feel awful, I suppose becuase when I get a 'normal' headache they are quite awful, and was imagining the worst. I will relax now and maybe justbook the day off for fun. lol

| will just take it as it comes then! Paracetomol at the ready! I am cutting back on carbs now and have begun drinking my coffee black for about 2 weeks now....not so bad actually! We can have caffeine on the diet can't we?? Or does it need to be decaf??

Plenty of water, painkillers at the ready, cutting back on carbs, warm bath and early nights and you'll sail through. Not everyone has side effects - but by the beginning of day 15 you'll be at least 7lbs lighter and feel fantastic!!!! Good luck.

HI Blondelogic,
Been reading your posts with interest as it reminds me how I felt way back in MArch before I started the best journey of my life!
I lost 4 stone on LL and have managed to maintain it (roughly ;-)) since June so it has totally changed my life.
I get bad migraines anyway and would agree with everyone that they've been SO much better during and after LL. In foundation I only had one migraine the whole time and I used to have 2 a week.

I started LL on a THursday evening (one shake) but from the MOnday I had cut down carbs very gradually. I got a bit of a headache on the Sunday (Day 3 really) and I took the MOnday off to sleep. I literally slept ALL day. I was so tired - I hadn't been that tired since I was pregnant with my daughter. I'd say Day 3 would be a safe bet for a day off, however, if you think you may struggle with abstinance, it may be better to stay at work until you are actually in Ketosis and therefore not hungry. I always find that home alone is a recipe for munching.

Anyway - all the best for your start on Monday - there will be hard times, but if I can do it then I truly believe anyone can. It is a miracle diet and has totally transformed me from a frumpy teacher, old before my time, to what my students now describe as a funky chick!!!

Lots of luckxx

Im on day 7 and my headaches seem to be in the morning...today it just wont shift! I find it helps if I drink a large glass of water thou! x

If I was going to SS again, I would take paracetamol 4 hrly from day 1 until the stick showed pink! I get really bad headaches normally anyway, and my naughty brain would try and convince me to eat to make them go away.

I felt a bit hungover around day 2 to 4 ish. It depends how many carbs you've eaten as well I think - and bearing in mind the night before I started I remembered at 10pm that I hadn't eaten pizza during my week of last suppers, or wine, so ordered a pizza at 10.15pm which i ate (allowing OH one slice) along with 3/4 of a bottle of red wine, despite having had dinner earlier that evening, I had a fair few of them on board!

Drinking a LOT of water helps too. I found that by the end I was drinking 6 litres a day (1 litre on waking, 2 litres before lunchbreak, 2 litres after lunchbreak, 1 litre in the evening) but it took me a few weeks to work up to that. One woman in our group who had to do 'bladder training' with her little boy told me how to do that - when you need to go, make yourself wait a minute, then 2 minutes the next time, etc. That really helped, but also what helped was starting off on the recommended minimum 4 litres a day, and increasing by 1/2 a litre every day or so. It also makes the weight come off quicker, and that was also what spurred me on!

Anyway - all the best for your start on Monday - there will be hard times, but if I can do it then I truly believe anyone can. It is a miracle diet and has totally transformed me from a frumpy teacher, old before my time, to what my students now describe as a funky chick!!!

Lots of luckxx

Thank you Uphill....that was a nice post. It's amazing how we all go through the same things isn't it. Reassuring though.

You've done really well!!!

lol - I used to call myself a funky chick!! :D

Plenty of water, painkillers at the ready, cutting back on carbs, warm bath and early nights and you'll sail through. Not everyone has side effects - but by the beginning of day 15 you'll be at least 7lbs lighter and feel fantastic!!!! Good luck.

Thanks flirty!! I loke the warm bath idea!! WIth bubbles too! :D

Hi and welcome

I never suffered but I think it depends on how many carbs you eat before you start and whether you have cut down too.

I also drank loads of water and I think that helped too. I lost just over 2 1/2 stone in 8 weeks up until Christmas, and have to say it is the best diet plan ever.

GOOD LUCK

oo blonde.. you really are very excited about starting this arent you! I love your enthusiasm!!!

I felt awful night 1.. went to bed at 6.30pm and slept right through
had a headache to die for around day 3-4 - was unbelievably sore. being at home wouldn't have helped me I think, I think I would have been tempted to chuck it all in. Ibuprofen helped a wee bit but not much.

By day 5-6 I felt tickety boo and ready to take on the world!!

good luck - let us all know how it goes...

xx

Back