ketosis? or a trip to the gp? advice please!!

shell09

Silver Member
hi guys, hope you're all doing fab! just want to pick your experienced brains please.....

ok so ive done cd for 6 months then 6 mnths off n now on week 8 of my restart n due to be completely off it by xmas week.

i am getting concerned about my blood circulation..... i really donnot want a health prob to take me off cd early but don't want to be a fool for ignoring things.

i know its obviously freeezing out there and i know a common symptom of ketosis is coldness but...... my hands feet and nose are constantly freezing, despite two pairs of socks and snow boots (serioulsly wearing them to the office lol) indoors full on hand knitted socks like baby booties/ slippers heating on full blankets etc. i put this down to ketosis and cold wheather... agreed?

now of late just doing normal things around the kitchen, my lower legs are cramping not majorly, i held my feet in front of the radiator today and didnt realise they were on it antill i burnt myself. i can be in bed for three hrs n my feet still sting from cold is it normal, i also have slow achy joints... put it down to coldness right?

sorry if im waffling here....

i googled 'poor circulation' silly me... now im wondering shall i go docs? if they are more than 100% sure its not just ketosis i know they will air on side of caution and tell me to stop vlcd.

what do u all think?? how does a doc even check ones circulation n distinguish any probs? i recently had my bp chacked n it was fine donno if that is relevant

thanks in advance xx

Definitely a trip to the GP honey. The lack of sensation needs to be checked out. There are tests the GP can do to check (BP wouldn't be hugely relevant) and he may want to refer you on.

thanks goreygirls a second oppinion helps... i did forget to mention an ache i have been getting down my arms sort of from shoulder area down to past elbows not enough to make me stop what im doing but like a dull ache.... the reason i forgot to mention is that i havent mentioned it to anybody ie familly etc on purpose you know how people pannick... think i better book an appointment next week and atleast put my mind at ease im just so close to target.. a few lbs like id hate to stop now but don't want to regret living in blissfull ignorance

i have the terrible coldness and the darn arful aching in my bones, my legs, hips, back i put down to my weight but i also have it in my arms

the loss of sensation would be a worry though hun and that certainly needs checking out hun

i get cold but don't loose circulation. see the gp.

I got cold doing the diet, but not to that extent, would see your gp if I was you. Good luck

thanks guys

the second oppinions really help... i hate going to the docs for things i dont understand i feel like im wasting their time but if we all think i need to go then we cant all be wrong lol...

i made the error of googling it omg!! but seriously im gonna go monday morning i think as its defo getting worse n from what i have reaqd it could be nothing but it could be something really serious.

thanks again guys... just hope i dont need to come of cd just a few lbs away from target

xx

hi guys........ so went to the docs today

and so happy she didnt simply tell me to get off the diet she is concerned that i may not be getting enough b12 and folic acid and if thats the case i could have nerve dammage that will get worse if i continue i told her its 100 % bal but text my cdc to confirm those two specifically and awaiting her reply,

she also asked am i getting enough salt in my diet! what the hell i cannot believe that one i didnt even realise salt served a purpose! im on ss+ and the only tiny bit of food i get is my 200n kal meal n of late ive been desperately trying to use no or reduced slat init so tat ones a bit of a shock.

result is i am to go back after one month once im off cd if i still have probs and get referred to reumatologist (or however u spell it)

I hope u get better and warm soon hun.... Well done for going to gp. lt is a worry when you are on a vlcd and you are not sure but you have done the right thing. Keep us updated we`re all cold at the moment lol.

That's good. Now you have the advice I'm sure you feel reassured :)

I got as sick as a dog in Mongolia a couple of years ago.. I don't salt food or eat crisps etc. Due to the heat we were drinking about 5 litres of water a day and the lack of ingested salt (our diets were very basic and depended on what we could get locally) I got salt cramps (nausea, stomach ache, dizziness etc). I had to eat a salt sandwich! Yuck!

I'd suggested you follow diabetic foot care advice though considering what happened the other day (diabetics do it for sensory loss) Diabetic Foot Care Guidelines

Take care

o my god that is crazy eew salt sandwich! gees theres not much i wouldn't do for a sandwich but thats one step too far! thanks guys... il check out the link goreygirl thanks again

xx

hi guys........ so went to the docs today

and so happy she didnt simply tell me to get off the diet she is concerned that i may not be getting enough b12 and folic acid and if thats the case i could have nerve dammage that will get worse if i continue i told her its 100 % bal but text my cdc to confirm those two specifically and awaiting her reply,

she also asked am i getting enough salt in my diet! what the hell i cannot believe that one i didnt even realise salt served a purpose! im on ss+ and the only tiny bit of food i get is my 200n kal meal n of late ive been desperately trying to use no or reduced slat init so tat ones a bit of a shock.

result is i am to go back after one month once im off cd if i still have probs and get referred to reumatologist (or however u spell it)

You'll be getting a fair bit more salt than just the salt in your 200 cal meal cos the Cambridge products have salt in them - I'm guessing just the right amount, too, cos they've gone to great lengths to make sure there's enough of every type of nutrient we need. According to this: Cambridge Weight Plan: Consumer FAQs: Disorders: I am on a low sodium diet. How much salt does Cambridge contain? there's 3.8g of salt in 3 Cambridge products.

Similarly, there's 33% of the folic acid and 33% of the Vitamin B12 we need in a single sachet of Cambridge product - so again, 3 products again should provide exactly what you need. http://www.cambridgeweightplan.com/userfiles/file/nutrional_information.pdf Having said that, it might be that for some reason, your body isn't able to use that Vitamin B12 it's being fed. Or there could be a completely different reason. Has anyone else in your family got a similar problem? These things are often hereditary.

Anyway - it's really good that you went to your GP and that you got some advice.

Last edited:
Hi lily

i got in touch with cdc she says we get 100% folic acid and 200% b12 so im happy with that and i ead the same re the salt off the packs

theres no history so im just gonna relax about it wait antill im back to eating a little more regularly and if the probs go then great if they dont then il take it from there

but the dr doesn't seem too concerned at this point so my mind is at ease

xx

Back