Ketosis or not ketosis. That is the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnycookietobe

Hi all,
day 5 today feel normal at last! Well as normal as I was before I started diet anyway :p
however, yesterday I tested my urine and I was in mild ketosis and I've just tested it again and I'm barely in ketosis? How does it work does anyone know? :confused:

Hiya skinny

Theres not "barely" or "mildly" in ketosis your either in it or your not, all you need is the slightest change of colour on the stick and that means your in ketosis.... The darker the stick goes the more dehydrated you are, so the fact that your colour isnt drasticly changing mean you are in ketosis and your body is well hydrated

Hope this helps xx

If you are sticking with your diet 100% you are in ketosis...it can be very difficult to get a reading once your body becomes accustomed to using your fat for energy instead of glucose as you have less spillage of ketones into your urine. It just means your body is becoming more efficient at burning fat.

Just read this on another site - not sure if allowed to link so copied instead

Question: What is Ketosis?
Answer: A lot of people are confused by the term "ketosis." You may read that it is a "dangerous state" for the body, and it does sound abnormal to be "in ketosis." But ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. When our bodies are breaking down fat for energy, most of the it gets converted more or less directly to ATP. (Remember high school biology? This is the "energy molecule.") But ketones are also produced as part of the process.

When people eat less carbohydrate, their bodies turn to fat for energy, so it makes sense that more ketones are generated. Some of those ketones (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) are used for energy; the heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath (sometimes causing a distinct breath odor).

If enough acetone is in our urine, it can be detected using a dipstick commonly called by the brand name Ketostix (though there are other brands, as well). Even though everyone is generating ketones continuously, this detection in the urine is what is commonly called "ketosis."

The higher the concentration of ketones in the urine, the more purple the sticks will turn(concentration will be higher if dehydrated ). The Atkins Diet, in particular, advises people to monitor ketosis as an indication of fat burning.

Ive noticed that the more water that I drink, the lighter the colour is but as long as there is a tinge of pink, I am happy !

I so don't remember biology, I can barely remember last week!
Thank you for the info though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back