Ketosis

samthompson17

The last time I went on LT It took me a while to go into ketosis. Like around 3-4 days. I had to come off due to a chest infection then having the will power to start again made me stop.

This time round though it's only taken me into day 2. Was this the same for others.

I'm in the middle reading as well. I am drinking plenty. The last time I did LT I was right at the deep purple and my pharmacist said if I don't get back into the middle they would have to review it. So this time I have bought the keto sticks to make sure I don't get into the deep purple. How do I manage to stay in the middle. Is it true drinking water and tea will help with that.

Hi, I was the same. Day 4-5 the first time and day 3 this time. Drinking water definitely helps!!! Dark purple is not good. Good luck this time round :)

Sorry, being really blonde here, but what is deep purple??:confused:

Hi Sam,

Diabetics can check for unwanted ketones in their urine with Ketostix, available OTC at the pharmacy. You pee on them and they give a rough indication of the level of ketones present. The indicator ranges from a neutral flesh colour through rose pink to deep purple and there's a chart and a leaflet to explain them in more detail to diabetics. If you're on a diet that knocks you into ketosis they can be used to check that you're in the right zone, but they can cause more confusion than they're worth to be honest. Some people don't use them correctly, or rely on them too much etc... A sure fire way of knowing you're in ketosis is a faint whiff of honey monster breakfast cereal coming from your tinkle :D

Hope that helps?

Jx

Oh my god, thank you so much for that!
I thought this morning when I had a wee that it smelt really fibre-ish! Now you have said that it was sooo Honey Monster's!! Thank you!!

Thank you that's helped a lot however I still seem to be in the deep purple end and I'm drinking roughly 7 cups of tea a day which equals to roughly 2litres as my cup is 300ml. I measured it just so I knew to keep my 2 litres a day going. I'm having all my shakes. Do I need to drink more. I am doing roughly 1 hour a day sometimes more of exercise a day. Mostly walking though. Could that be what's causing it.

Sam, by all accounts tea should be in addition to, not in place of your minimum 2 litres of water and that would definitely concentrate your pee, which would account for a darker reading. Up your water intake for a couple of days and see if there's any difference?

Ok will do that thanks for the advice. I had a Rooibo tea and then my ketosis went back into the middle weird. I think your right not to put much weight into the sticks but it's important I keep a eye as the pharmacist I see puts much weight into them. The last time they threatened to take me off. I hate drinking water. Always have. Tomorrow I will have 4 cups of tea and 3 cups of water and see if there is a difference if not then I'll keep reducing the tea. I always thought that tea was added onto your 2 litres. I don't think I could manage a whole 2 litre of just water but I would love to try and at least make 3/4 of it water

The only reason I say about not taking them too literally is down to really silly stuff like people not counting to 15 quick enough as they continue to darken so they may not be so accurate. Plus if you use them on your first pee of the day the urine is too concentrated having been there overnight. I was told by my GP to go with your second wizz :D

I think water is a habit, once you get into it it's not so bad, but getting off diet pop was hard for me, like it is for some with tea or coffee. Don't be hard on yourself, why not swap over one cup per day, that way by the end of a week you'll be getting your 2ltrs of water a day and you can add tea on top of that then? Drinking lots of water really helps with skin elasticity, and it'll make your face glow too, bonus!

I got the worst headaches at the start and then started drinking 4l a day and they went away. and your right Jiggerz my skins amazing!!! x

Well I see what you mean. Yesterday I only had 3 cups of tea and loads of water and I was in the dark peach instead of the dark purple. I thought water was a waste of time but I was so wrong.

Completely confused!!!

Im confused!!! Is it best to be pink or purple?? Im getting the feeling that you guys dont see purple as a good thing but I thought the darker the shade, the more ketones lost and therefore more weight?!? Is this not how it works? :confused:

Ang_47 said:
Im confused!!! Is it best to be pink or purple?? Im getting the feeling that you guys dont see purple as a good thing but I thought the darker the shade, the more ketones lost and therefore more weight?!? Is this not how it works? :confused:

No so long as you're in ketosis that's it. You won't lose more weight because the sticks show purple. Purple can be seen as a sign of dehydration. Remember too the sticks are very unreliable. Now you know you're in ketosis put them away and ignore them :)

Back