ketosis

bali2001

how long does it take to go into ketosis, and does it vary from person to perso, will i know my body is in it or are there no signs

It does vary hun, depends on whether you cut back on the carbs before you started the diet. Usually takes about 3 - 5 days.

Normal signs are lack of hunger, horrid taste in your mouth, bad breath, and some experience smelly wee. You can get ketostix from the chemists to test your urine if you really want to be sure x

As Cheryl said, 3 to 5 days, I'd be suprised if it took longer than that, even if at day 5 you were only going into the initial milder stage.

And aside from the 'symptoms' said above, after the first week the best way to know you are in Ketosis is to know you have stuck to the plan 100% - as if you have, you have to be in Ketosis :D

Be aware with the ketostix, though, that at different times of the day you will show as being in various levels - early in the morning you will have a lot of ketones in your urine as they have built up overnight without you taking on any more water, whereas later in the day having had shakes, water, tea and/or coffee, you will probably find a more diluted level of ketones in the urine thus the colour on the stick will indicate a 'lesser' level.

If you do use the sticks, try and do the check at around the same time each time you do it (i.e. 6pm), that way you can truely know if something has changed as you should get roughly the same colour each time you do it.

PS Cheryl, I just have to say that your maintaining for 3.5 years now is so SO inspring and impressive. you rock :)

To be honest, the idea of having ketostix would stress me out more than needed.. I have seen posts on forums where people have followed their diets to the letter and then getting all obsessive over these ketone sticks... As long as you know you've not strayed, you should be in ketosis. If you're losing weight on a weekly basis then you are doing things right...

Why aggrevate yourself further when the stick may not show you the colour you want to see (due probably to OTHER factors!)? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Same with people who weigh themselves every day on their scales at home and usually sabotage their thinking/mood by comparing it to what they 'should have' in their mind... I think PATIENCE is a virtue!

:)

To be honest, the idea of having ketostix would stress me out more than needed.. I have seen posts on forums where people have followed their diets to the letter and then getting all obsessive over these ketone sticks... As long as you know you've not strayed, you should be in ketosis. If you're losing weight on a weekly basis then you are doing things right...

Why aggrevate yourself further when the stick may not show you the colour you want to see (due probably to OTHER factors!)? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Totally with you on this. Ketostix can be unreliable and totally throw some people off course when they assume they aren't in ketosis (cos of the stix), when they are.

can you not lose weight without being in ketosis? not sure I really understand it! Other diets, i.e. WW seem to let you eat carbs - yet people lost weight each week. What are the advantages to 'ketosis'?
thanks!

can you not lose weight without being in ketosis? not sure I really understand it! Other diets, i.e. WW seem to let you eat carbs - yet people lost weight each week.

Yes. You can lose weight without being in ketosis :)

What are the advantages to 'ketosis'?
thanks!

Reduced hunger, reduced cravings for food. Some people get quite euphoric when they are in ketosis, and many have more energy :D

What are the advantages to 'ketosis'?

No feelings of physical hunger, being safe in the knowledge that you *have* to lose weight so long as you stick to the plan, and an extremely rapid loss of weight compared to other diets (a possible 1-2lbs a week on WW compared to a gauranteed loss of up to and possibly over 6lbs a week on LL? No contest)

No feelings of physical hunger, being safe in the knowledge that you *have* to lose weight so long as you stick to the plan, and an extremely rapid loss of weight compared to other diets (a possible 1-2lbs a week on WW compared to a gauranteed loss of up to and possibly over 6lbs a week on LL? No contest)

Over 6lbs per week? Since when? o_O ... Maybe for men it's normal.. and for some lucky ladies, but it's an individual thing! My losses on LL have always been on average about 2lbs per week!
Advantages of ketosis are that you don't feel physical hunger as much as on any other diet, and it may give some people a state of euphoria and energy.. But, again, it's down to the individual, as ketosis makes me feel very lethargic and weak all the time! I sometimes wonder why I'm putting myself through this. :p

makes me feel very lethargic and weak all the time! I sometimes wonder why I'm putting myself through this. :p

It did that to me too, but the rewards are magnificent :hug99:

Minerva said:
Over 6lbs per week? Since when? o_O ...

I did say a *possible* upward of 6lbs, from my own experience I had a month where I lsot 6lbs each week, and I've had one week where I lost 8lbs, and I know the Sean(JSF) has had weekly losses of 4-7lbs too.

Hi
I'm planning to start on LLL next week having regained approx 1 1/2 stone since doing LL 'proper'. I was sort of planning of being abstinent until I was in ketosis, but will I get there by following the rules for the 1 meal a day?
I started my own version of Lite back in November, basically abstinence with one or two meals a week to fit in with family do's etc. This worked for me then, but wasn't really sustainable. How are people managing with sticking with Lite, and are the meals satisfying enough?! I don't know if I'd rather not eat at all than pick at chicken and salad!!
Thanks, Isie

Garlic powder shouldn't make a difference, I use it too!
How much veg are you eating by the way? Because I'm always worried that I'm eating too many.
You could also experiment with making a curry; fry up some onion, chicken breast pieces, diced green pepper, and use some curry powder, plus a little passata, mixed in with 3tsp's of sour cream! It's really nice.

i was told by my c that i can use a very small amount of french mustard, the paste type in a jar. so i cook a chicken breast in foil in the oven then i mix up 3 tsp sour cream and 1/4 tsp mustard, pour over chicken, then i have fresh cauli and brocli, its lovely

Back