Ketostix-best time to test.....

Big-Pudding

Dreaming of being slim!
Because I have just done mine first thing and its very very dark purple.
I cant be dehydrated as I drank 5 litres yesterday.

Is it because its first thing? Should I test during the day instead rather than morning?

Thanks Anna :)

Anyone?? Pwetty pwease???

I wish I knew. Sorry I can't help.

I doubt that you need to be worried about dehydration though if you drank 5l yesterday.

Hope this helps!

Will I lose weight faster if the strips show dark purple all the time?

No. Testing in the darkest purple range all the time is usually a sign of dehydration -- the urine is too concentrated. You need to drink more water to dilute it, and keep the kidneys flushed.
The liver will make ketones from body fat, the fat you EAT, and from alcohol --- the ketone strips have no way of distinguishing the source of the ketones. So, if you test every day after dinner, and dinner usually contains a lot of fat, then you may very well test for large amounts of ketones all the time. However this does not indicate that any BODY fat was burned. The strips only indicate what's happening in the urine. Ketosis happens in the blood and body tissues. If you're showing even a small amount, then you are in ketosis, and fat-burning is taking place. Don't get hung up on the ketone sticks.

You can read more:

Low Carb Diet Tips & Basics - Ketosis & Ketone Test Strips

Hi, I don't think it makes any difference when you test- but you are bound to be a bit dehydrated (and therefore the ketones more concentrated) first thing - cos you haven't drunk anything for 8 hours.
I'm not suggesting you up your water - 5L is plenty IMO
I know myself, I feel really thirsty first thing, and feel much better after a pint of water.
I'm sure the pink will become paler throughout the day as you drink, because the Ketones will be more diluted.
Does that make any sense? Maybe a CDC can explain better.

I was looking on the internet to find out how much water we lose during our sleep and I know it is a good bit.

Normally mattress manufactures have this sort of data.

But as Suki has said you will be more dehydrated first thing in the morning.

I would think if you continually read in the dark purple even througout the day it would be best to ask your doctor about it as it can be an indication of diabetes.

Love Mini xxx

ahhh that will be it then. Done one now and its dark pink which I presume is fine :)

Will pop the strips away now until AAM week :)

Thanks everyone.

Glad you have that sorted and you feel much better about it now, but it is always best to be sure about these things:)

Love Mini xxx

Back