Ketostix - colour again?

unreal83

Want to be a yummy mummy!
Hey hey

Just got back from first weigh in and my councellor gave me some ketostix - remind me again, what colour it should be. She didnt know! She said she is sure the paler the better, but I think its a bit pinky the better - not too purple though.

Am I right? Can someone set this straight once and for all.

I lost 8lbs - kinda what I expected.
x

pink... mid range pink... too dark and you're not drinking enough water... too light and you may not be in ketosis.

Oh and well done on the 8lbs! That's fab!

Tar very much! Yep thats what I thought, I said to her but if its peachy colour, the first one on the tub, surely "0 trace" means there is no ketones coming out? So you want some ketones coming out dont you which will make it pink.........dunni really know what im talking about maybe someone else can make sense haha...

That's not 100% true about the dehydration as some people can drink tonnes of water and it will still be purple.
If you drink a lot of water and it's still really dark don't worrk all it means is you produce a lot of ketones!;)
Also if it doesn't change colour I also wouldn't worry it just means you don't get a lot of ketones coming out in your urine (ketones are actually in your blood stream). I believe KDs ketostix never changed colour!

That's not 100% true about the dehydration as some people can drink tonnes of water and it will still be purple.
If you drink a lot of water and it's still really dark don't worrk all it means is you produce a lot of ketones!;)
Also if it doesn't change colour I also wouldn't worry it just means you don't get a lot of ketones coming out in your urine (ketones are actually in your blood stream). I believe KDs ketostix never changed colour!

That is interesting! Thank you...I will see what it says in the morning, thats the best time to test right?

Unreal hun I have to ask, are you feeling hungry or not losing the weight like you think you should?
I'm just wondering why you feel the need to test yourself for ketosis if the diet is working?

Oh! Good question actually........nope I am completely not hungry I had to even force myself to have my dinner tonight, and I am def in ketosis as I have all the signs, i just thought i would test my wee out of interest! Lol....i know i know silly but just thought I would!

Buy Ketostix from your local pharmacy to measure ketone levels in your urine. Just pee on them, wait for 15 seconds and compare the color against the chart on the bottle; the picture shows a negative result (beige color) and a positive trace ketones result (light pink). The darker the strip, the higher the ketone concentration. Ketostix are not necessary for experienced ketogenic dieters, who can easily tell whether they are in ketosis or not from how they feel and the metallic taste in their mouth, but are essential for beginners. Ketostix help monitor how quickly ketosis is established, and is an invaluable tool in determining how many carbohydrates you can tolerate without being thrown out of ketosis and in troubleshooting reasons for not becoming ketogenic (such as artificial sweeteners which affect some people but not others). Just be aware that Ketostixs are not 100% reliable since they only measure EXCESS ketones spilling into the urine (urinary ketosis) and are sensitive to hydration levels (drinking a lot will naturally dilute the ketone concentration in the urine) - it is very possible to be in ketosis even with no traces on the sticks. The only reliable way to assess the level of ketosis is to measure ketone concentrations in the bloodstream; some blood glucose meters used by diabetics can do this. That kind of accuracy is rarely needed on a ketogenic diet, but for a diabetic rising ketone levels are a potential life and death situation. The depth of ketosis people enter also varies a lot from person to person. In theory, fat loss is best with only traces of ketones so don’t make it a hobby to try to reach very deep colors! Ketostix are an important tool, but don’t invest all your emotion into them.

Buy Ketostix from your local pharmacy to measure ketone levels in your urine. Just pee on them, wait for 15 seconds and compare the color against the chart on the bottle; the picture shows a negative result(not 100% true as I stated in my post above) (beige color) and a positive trace ketones result (light pink). The darker the strip, the higher the ketone concentration. Ketostix are not necessary for experienced ketogenic dieters, who can easily tell whether they are in ketosis or not from how they feel and the metallic taste in their mouth, but are essential for beginners (yes if you want to line the pharmasists pockets!). Ketostix help monitor how quickly ketosis is established, and is an invaluable tool in determining how many carbohydrates you can tolerate without being thrown out of ketosis (bit of dangerous info) and in troubleshooting reasons for not becoming ketogenic (such as artificial sweeteners which affect some people but not others). Just be aware that Ketostixs are not 100% reliable since they only measure EXCESS ketones spilling into the urine (urinary ketosis) and are sensitive to hydration levels (drinking a lot will naturally dilute the ketone concentration in the urine) - it is very possible to be in ketosis even with no traces on the sticks. The only reliable way to assess the level of ketosis is to measure ketone concentrations in the bloodstream; some blood glucose meters used by diabetics can do this. That kind of accuracy is rarely needed on a ketogenic diet, but for a diabetic rising ketone levels are a potential life and death situation. The depth of ketosis people enter also varies a lot from person to person. In theory, fat loss is best with only traces of ketones so don’t make it a hobby to try to reach very deep colors (again not 100% true)! Ketostix are an important tool, but don’t invest all your emotion into them.
Where was this taken from as it sounds like a pharmacy advert?:confused:

No - not a pharmacy - it was from a wesbite explaining the pros and cons of ketogenic dieting. I will try and find it and post it - if you would like.

My pharmacy refused to sell them to me as they were for "dieting". Just bought some off t'internet instead!

Back