Ketotic but hungry

CF18

Live long and prosper
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm on day 5, and have had ketones on the dipsticks since yesterday, but still feeling hungry all the time. I thought ketosis would Dampen the hunger somewhat.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, does it start to fade?

You sure it's hunger? I'm in ketosis and I think about food a lot but I'm not actually hungry x

You sure it's hunger? I'm in ketosis and I think about food a lot but I'm not actually hungry x

Definitely hunger. I can tell because I ALSO have the frequent intrusive food fantasies, but this is a hollow gnawing in the center of my belly that goes away when I have my shake or soup and then comes back within an hour or two. I can put up with it, but I was hoping that it would diminish after a few days.

Speaking of thinking about food . . . I never noticed how many ads I see on a daily basis for food! They're everywhere!

I watch food programmes all the time and turn into quite the feeder when on Cambridge lol x

Speaking of thinking about food . . . I never noticed how many ads I see on a daily basis for food! They're everywhere!

I have also noticed this. I'll be doing really well & then a bus reminds me how tasty KFC is!!!

I'm only on week 2, I am drinking 5ltrs of water a day & I'm not getting hungry, try upping your water

I can only offer my experience, but I'm usually in ketosis by day three. I can tell by the presence of acetone on my tongue (I've never used ketostix) and the burst of energy I get. However, the hunger normally lasts until about day 10-12, because it's partly psychological and partly habit. The food fantasies? Well... I'm in my third month and they haven't stopped yet. I think that's part and parcel of the diet. You always want what you can't have and, like you say, food is EVERYWHERE! It's hard to get away from advertisements or even just people eating. It's even harder if you live with people who are not on the diet, especially if you have to cook for them!

Are you getting enough water? Sometimes we misinterpret the desire for water as the desire for food. Secondly, it's worth noting that, even on month 5 of the diet, your stomach will rumble occasionally. It's nothing to do with hunger, but it's the biological process of your stomach compressing, which it has to do to squeeze the contents into the next stage of digestion. The noise is the echo caused by the stomach being empty, and it's not a sign that your body is desperate for food. :)

I hope some of this helps.

I used to literally obsess, in about the 6th week of my diet i discovered food network on freeview and became glued to it!

What I did was cook for other people, but back then I was serious enough about the plan not to put a crumb of it in my mouth! But I also started a list on my phone of things I wanted to cook or eat when I'm done, and in a strange way, once written down it was kinda done, dealt with in a way. I've had time off here and there a lot since the list started and honestly, the times I have been off plan and looked at the list only to find I don't want any of it?! Yup, only wanted it cos I couldn't have it! Or on the odd occasion I have indulged - it's turned out to be nothing like i imagined!

I think perhaps the plan has changed my taste, I can still eat all that [FONT=arial, sans-serif]unctuous, fatty, carby stuff, but generally feel like crap and still unsatisfied for having it - I took the weekend off of plan, and was honestly sick of it all by yesterday, just wanted some plain protein and veg![/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]What I'm getting at is that it aint all you think it is, whilst not eating, you will build food up to being something way more exciting than it is, and if you do unfortunately fall off plan, you will only be disappointed that it what you ate really wasn't worth the break in plan, wasn't worth having to get back into ketosis again, wasn't worth the disappointment in yourself.

The biggest thing about this plan is learning what actual hunger is, I'm 28 and felt real hunger for the first time in my life only after a couple of months being on plan, anything I ever felt before that was in my mind - remember - this is how must of us got ourselves in this situation in the first place!

Ria

x
[/FONT]

Are you getting enough water? Sometimes we misinterpret the desire for water as the desire for food.
But I also started a list on my phone of things I wanted to cook or eat when I'm done, and in a strange way, once written down it was kinda done, dealt with in a way. I've had time off here and there a lot since the list started and honestly, the times I have been off plan and looked at the list only to find I don't want any of it?! Yup, only wanted it cos I couldn't have it! Or on the odd occasion I have indulged - it's turned out to be nothing like i imagined!

Great comments, thanks! I've made it a point from the beginning to get plenty of water. I fill up a two liter container in the morning and again in the afternoon, and don't stop drinking until I'm done. I usually drink more after that in the evening, too, but I don't try to keep track of that.

I think writing out a list of the foods you crave is a fantastic idea. It will be interesting to see if the cravings change over time.

As it is, the hunger seems to be improving. I'm on day 6 now, and I think day 3-4 were the worst. I read that your brain resists using ketones for up to 48 hours after they appear; I wonder if that may have anything to do with it. I definitely felt more run down and worn out on those two days. My wife and I took our four-year old son to the movie theater to see Despicable Me 2 yesterday, and I cut up a bar into about twenty pieces and froze them ahead of time so I could snack on them throughout the movie. It was so much easier than ignoring all the eating going on around me.

It was around that time that I had a realization. Here I am, on one of the most drastic diets around, and I can do it, as long as it takes! I feel . . . empowered. Strong.

It's a good feeling.

Great idea re the sliced frozen bar!

I am also on day 6, my hungry probably decreased from day 4 onwards. However, I am weird, my CDC says she has never known anyone say this before.....I actually like to be hungry when I am dieting! When I did Slimming World I was allowed so much food that I always felt full, and when I feel full i feel fat and pudgy and convince myself i cannot possibly be losing weight so I splurge and binge!!

When I am hungry I imagine my body is eating up all its fat so it makes me feel the diet is working and I am less likely to break it. Weird, I know :D

i have never over eaten through hunger, i rarely used to eat because i was hungry, it was always for other reasons, almost all of them emotional or pure greed

I actually like to be hungry when I am dieting! When I did Slimming World I was allowed so much food that I always felt full, and when I feel full i feel fat and pudgy and convince myself i cannot possibly be losing weight so I splurge and binge!!

When I am hungry I imagine my body is eating up all its fat so it makes me feel the diet is working and I am less likely to break it. Weird, I know :D

I have this exact same thing! I feel a sense of satisfaction if I go to bed hungry. That's probably not the healthiest thing to admit, but it's true nonetheless, because I go to bed feeling like I've been in control of myself all day.

I have this exact same thing! I feel a sense of satisfaction if I go to bed hungry. That's probably not the healthiest thing to admit, but it's true nonetheless, because I go to bed feeling like I've been in control of myself all day.

:D Yippee, that's the first person who has ever felt the same as I do!

Back