Green Day Kidney Bean Bake

Tinsel81

My partner invented this recipe when he was at uni many years ago, he claims it was so popular his housemates would offer to buy some from him whenever he made it! I tweaked it slightly for SW (less oil and low-fat cheese). It is 0 syns if the cheese is taken as a HEA and it serves 2 greedy people (like us!) or 4 less greedy people (in which case it would only be half a HEA choice).

1 onion, peeled and chopped
Pinch of dried basil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 can kidney beans (large, drained)
2 medium courgettes, sliced
1 portion spinach
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 stock cube, vegetable, dissolved in 300ml boiling water
Salt and pepper
Fry Light
1 jar passata
1 teaspoon artificial sweetener (if desired, according to taste)
84g low-fat cheddar
2 large (or about 600 g) potatoes, peeled and sliced quite thinly (about 3mm thick)*

Instructions
Preheat oven to 200C. Parboil potatoes for a few minutes until slightly softened. Fry onion and garlic in Fry Light. Add all other ingredients to the pan except potatoes and cheese, bring to the boil and simmer gently. Pour mixture into a ceramic baking dish. Layer potatoes on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 mins until cheese is browned and potatoes are tender.

* I do tend to estimate amounts when using free food, so if this seems like too much or too little just tweak to suit you.

EDIT: I previously listed tomato puree as an ingredient, which I now realise isn't free as I thought. It's just as nice without though, so I've taken it out. Otherwise, add 0.5 syns per tablespoon.

Last edited:
that sounds like my kind of food def going to try that this week

Back