Kid's clothes for 'larger than average' children?

JustJo

Cambridge Counsellor
I was wondering if anyone knew of shops/sites that sell clothes for larger kids?

My eight year old son is not huge, but he is a bit chubby. Tops and even shorts are no problem, because I generally just buy aged 10 stuff, as the length makes little difference. Trousers, however, are a pain in the backside! I have to buy aged 10s, then take everything up - i'm not particularly good at this, and it often ruins the line of the trousers/jeans.

I think it's quite odd that the fashion industry is getting better at recognising that we all come in different shapes and sizes, whereas no-one seems to have applied the same theory to children! Some of the shops seem to only cater for 'skinny' kids - my daughter is very average in build, yet she can't even get jeans on if they're from shops like Adams!

So, any suggestions, anyone? :)

Jo x

Hello :)

I think Next do, it's called 'Plus Fit' . Also, their jeans and pants have an adjustable elastic waist upto age 10. I find this useful becuase my 9 yr old son is as skinny as a rake and always needs his stuff pulling in :sigh:

HTH!

Nicola x

Ha - opposite problem, eh?!

That's good to know - thank you. :) I don't go into Next too often, but i'll have a look now! Adjustable waists don't always expand enough for my son, but it's certainly worth a try.

Jo x

Mmm, I have this problem with my 11 yr old son, he's too short for his girth! Trouser shopping is an endurance challenge for us both. It's made even worse as he has Aspergers Syndrome and therefore likes everything to be kept the same as now so will only try stuff on if it looks the same style as his present ones, arrgh!

Although they don't do a specific range I have found Tesco do jeans in a 'comfort fit' that usually fit though I still go up a size.

I have seen the Next range but we haven't tried them as they don't do black and that's all he'll wear.

BHS do a fab range of school trousers including Generous Fit with varying leg lengths too. So generous in fact that we had to go down to an age 10 but they fit perfectly, hurrah! I bought 4 pairs:D

Good luck!

It sounds as though your problem is worse than mine - at least my son will just wear whatever I care to buy him! He's really not bothered in the slightest, so long as he's not naked. :p

I wish i'd known about the BHS school trousers, as I bought him a couple of pairs from Asda last week! They had adjustable elasticated waists, so I thought i'd buy them whilst I saw them. I've still bought a larger size though, so still have taking them up to look forward to. :rolleyes:

I'll have to take a look at the Tesco jeans - thanks for that. :)

Jo x

I have exactly the same problem, its a nightmare.

My daughter is 9 but fits a 12/13 yr old clothes, I tried next plus sizes and still too small :( she,s back at school in 2 days and still haven,t managed to find trousers to fit..... I feel a trip to bhs coming on!

wish me luck lol

Nikki x

my 8yr old daughter has the same problem too, invariably i have to buy size 8/10 clothes for her :(, obviously ones suitable to her age. She likes the smock top look so we do that.
had to get her "generous" fit school trousers aged 13-14 & get MIL to take them up

blingy & pandora: I think it's maybe a little easier with girls, as they don't need to wear trousers as often (skirts, dresses, instead) - I love the summer, as my son can just wear shorts and it doesn't matter if they're a bit longer! On the other hand, I imagine it's a lot harder on girls being bigger - my son doesn't seem particularly bothered, whereas my daughter is a lot more aware of the way she looks.

It's a worry though, isn't it? It concerns me that my son is overweight, as it's not something I want him to carry into adulthood. We do all eat healthily, but it's really difficult to completely deny your child of sweets, chocolate, etc, and my son has a very sweet tooth!

Jo x

funny you should say that actually Jo as I had an even bigger problem trying to get school summer dresses for her, the largest I could get were age 13/14 and they barely fit her, she is also wearing her first bra and gets a lot of name calling for it... I have the total other problem with my 4 year old lol, she is very petite and sometimes can even still get into 18/24 months clothes lol, she starts school next easter lol god knows where I,m gonna get a uniform to fit her

Nikki x

unfortunatly skirts look bad cos they ride up at the back & TBH she prefers to wear trousers / jeans.
my other daughter (11) is slim & a fashionista, which makes life difficult for DD2 as DD1 is allways being nasty about her weight :(

I have had this problem with my youngest daughter for what seems like years, she is almost fourteen and has been wearing adult sizes since she was about 9, she is not particularly overweight but just a big girl, she is about 5' 6 and still growing. It is very difficult to find adult clothes that are suitable for a 9 year old and the cost is just ridiculous. So I do sympathize with you all. Good luck with finding what you need. This year I think is the first year I have walked in to the first shop (New Look) and purchased 2 pairs of trousers for her that actually fit really well, look nice and she's really pleased they are a size smaller than last year, so she is now ready to go back to school next week.

Blingy: Aww, poor love - she must hate that. :( Is she tall aswell as 'big'? I can remember having boobs in my last couple of years at primary, and I hated it as I seemed to be the only one. We still had to get changed for PE in the classroom with the boys there - I was so embarrassed, and used to get teased for it.. Funny though, as by the time I got to third year secondary, I became very popular with the boys!!

pandora: I suppose i'm lucky that my two are different genders. Your two are the same ages as my two, but, because they're a girl and a boy, the don't really compare themselves to each other. Is your eldest going to secondary this September, like mine? Scary stuff!

back on track: You should tell your daughter how lucky she is - she'll be glad of her height when she's older! Being 5'3.5", I also have loads of trouble buying jeans/trousers for myself - i'm too tall for petite ranges, but too short for 'regular' clothes! It sounds as though your daughter may be thinning out as she grows, since she's in a size smaller this year. :)

Jo x

Yes Jo she is quite tall, she,s catching me up lol, but not tall enough to fit bigger size trousers yet, if you know what I mean lol

Nikki x

Hey all this might not be popular but I'm not trying to be mean.... but I myself was an overweight kid and I remember the misery and lonliness of it.

Please please please if your kids are overweight now and you can do something about it do whatever it takes.... they will thank you for it when they are older I promise!!

I don't blame my parents but I don't thank them either.

In my personal opinion there is really very little if any reason for children to be overweight... well none that can't be sorted out anyways. Unless of course its something medical or something obviously

Gen x

Gen,

My daughter is not particularly overweight and I never once said she was, she is above average for her age thats all I ever said.

Believe me I know how hurtful people can be to adults who are overweight, never mind children and I know the playground is a very cruel place, my daughter eats a very balanced diet (as I do not want her to have my problems!) and actually enjoys vegetables, salads etc..., yes she has sweets, but only 50p worth twice a week, and enjoys fruit the rest of the time.

I am doing my upmost to bring my children up the right way and feel quite hurt from your comment, do you really think as overweight adults we would purposefuly put our children through the same misery we have been/ still going through????

Nikki

Gen,

My daughter is not particularly overweight and I never once said she was, she is above average for her age thats all I ever said.

Believe me I know how hurtful people can be to adults who are overweight, never mind children and I know the playground is a very cruel place, my daughter eats a very balanced diet (as I do not want her to have my problems!) and actually enjoys vegetables, salads etc..., yes she has sweets, but only 50p worth twice a week, and enjoys fruit the rest of the time.

I am doing my upmost to bring my children up the right way and feel quite hurt from your comment, do you really think as overweight adults we would purposefuly put our children through the same misery we have been/ still going through????

Nikki[/quote

Hi Nikki

I'm not sure how you could be hurt by my post. I did not once mention you or your children but just my own personal experience.

I did not ever say that anyone would purposefully put their children through the same misery they went through either so I'm not sure where you got that from.

I apologise if you were hurt by my experience as a child

Gen

Last edited:
I agree with you, blingy. Of course I don't want my son to be overweight, and of course it concerns me. As i've said, he certainly isn't 'fat', but is definitely broad and of a big build, and has a bit of excess weight on him. Both my children eat a very healthy diet, and have fruit for snacks/desserts. I do allow them occasional sweets/chocolate, but it's not an everyday thing, and I really don't think it's fair to completely deprive kids of sweets, etc.

They're both active and eat exactly the same things - in fact, my son eats even more healthily than my daughter (who is just the right weight), as I don't even allow him crisps in his packed lunch, whereas my daughter has them!

I've tried very hard to regulate my son's weight. I stopped them from having school dinners a year ago, so that I could strictly control what he was eating. At the end of the day, my daughter is very much like my side of the family - aside from my 'blip' of gaining lots of weight during pregnancies, all of my family are slim. My son looks just like his dad, and all of his side are either overweight or really have to struggle with it. I know that lifestyle has a lot to do with it, but I also believe that some people are just unfortunate enough to be pre-disposed to being bigger.

I can assure you Gen that I do my very best to regulate my son's weight, and really can't think of anything else that could be done to 'sort it out'!

Jo x

Let me explain myself :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Most children are overweight these days because of poor diet and lack of exercise, playstations etc.... you guys all seem to be doing all the right things with your kids so this obviously doesn't apply to you.

By sort it out I meant get them exercising... join a football club/dance group... if there are any emotional issues to get them sorted.

My goodness why people take things so personally is beyond me.... I was merely saying how I felt as a child!!!

I know one thing for sure my children will NOT be overweight because I wouldn't put them through the misery I have felt because of my weight through my childhood.

Gen

Gen

My child does a lot of excercise, she actually attends TaeKwonDo twice a week, plays rugby and is part of the school cross country team.

As Jo said my very slim 4 year old has an awful lot more treats than my 9 yr old and still struggles to put any weight on, (she only weighs 21lb at 4) this again I believe is down to genetics, just unlucky my 9yr old daughter ended up with mine.

I can see what your saying as opposed to your feelings as you were growing up, but then also please see our feelings too, maybe I read between the lines a little too much but I did see your first post as a "child fat, mums the cause" comment.

You wonder why I took it so personally? well as I,ve explained above it seemed a very personal comment to mums with above average children as I am a mum of one of these children I took it personally, wouldn,t you??

Nikki

I didn't take it particularly personally Gen, I was merely explaining my side of things in response to your comment, "In my personal opinion there is really very little if any reason for children to be overweight... well none that can't be sorted out anyways." My point is that I am doing everything I can for my son's health, yet he still remains slightly large.

To a certain extent, I agree with you, as a lot of childhood obesity is caused by too much junk food, sitting at the playstation, etc. However, as per usual for the media, all children/parents have been tarred with the same brush, just as all overweight people are considered lazy/greedy and all thin people are considered anorexics! Unfortunately, it's not that simple and straightforward for many people as we're all 'made' differently.

I wasn't overweight as a child, but I know that a lot of kids have hellish experiences due to their size, particularly in secondary school. That's why i'm doing my best for my son, to try to help him avoid that.

Jo x

Back